Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who wants in on a class action lawsuit? ;-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Jan '14 build MS60 that I bought new on 2/14. The car currently has about 50k miles. I rarely supercharge (few times per year), I rarely charge over 90%, and I rarely take it below 20%. I charge most nights at home on a 240v at 40 amp to either 80% or 90%. My charge level has decreased to where my 90% is between 130 and 135 miles of rated range. I've tried the trick of taking the battery level to near zero and then trip charging to 100% a few times. I did this 3 times over a couple week period. The highest I ever got was 165 miles (rated range at 100% charge). Looking at power levels, I started at 3% charge remaining and went to 99%. The amount of power added was only 48kWh. Tesla keeps telling me that my battery is fine, but obviously it isn't. While I expect some battery degradation over a 5 year window, I wasn't expected such a large decrease - especially with babying the battery.

I have been a big fan of Tesla and I still love my car. I have had very few problems over the life of the vehicle and hope that I've been a low maintenance customer. This just doesn't seem right though.
View attachment 418481 View attachment 418482 ery is fine. Obviously it's not.

Has the decline over 5 heart been gradual? Or have you seen a rapid change the last month? What software version does your car have and when did it last change? Could related to
S85D sudden degradation

Has the decline over 5 heart been gradual? Or have you seen a rapid change the last month? What software version does your car have and when did it last change? Could related to
S85D sudden degradation

The bigger degradation mostly happened relatively early in the car's life but still continues to slip. I've spoken with Tesla about it a number of times and each time they say it's not the battery. That is why I've tried on and off to do the "tricks" to see if it was just spoofing the range algorithm. These pics were taken a few months ago, so I'm not sure which software version I had then. I'm currently on 16.2 and the range is no better. I haven't done a full depletion/charge cycle since these pics so I'm not sure about the kHw input levels, but I'm guessing they're about the same based on the range I'm getting.

I feel your pain--my experience has been very similar to yours. I have a silver 60 that I bought new in 3/2014. My car has 37k miles. I rarely supercharge and rarely charge over 90% and almost never take it below 20%. I charge on my 14-50 at 30 amp to 85% every morning right before I leave for work. I have seen 15-18% degradation despite babying my battery in a similar fashion. Tesla told me that my battery was normal. I still like my car despite my disappointment with the company; it would have been nice to have a battery that was as "normal" as those that others tout on TMC.

It sounds like we're in pretty similar situations.

JJR/David;

Agreed this degradation is not normal nor acceptable. However, the warranty language is clear.

I think it is possible, likely even, that you will see a complete battery failure within the warranty period, of one or more modules, or a failure to charge, or deliver full power. This would be covered under the warranty.

I would drive it hard, but within limits, say 20-90%, and be ready for a sudden failure. Let your SA know your situation, and keep track of your battery health and power output...

My current plan is to keep driving it and keep an eye on the range. I still have about 2 1/2 years left under warranty so I can just play the waiting game. If it continues to go down, then I'll bring it back to Tesla and see if they finally agree the battery isn't operating normally.

Just wanted to chime in here. I own a Model S 85 kWh model with ~51K miles. According to TeslaFi, there does not seem to be any decrease in the rated range at 100% charge. See the attached graph. This is over the lifetime that I have owned the car (purchased at 42K miles)
FusionCharts.png

EDIT: I always upgrade to the latest software version when released.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
I have similar results. However I do not doubt that a significant minority do have a sudden drop in rated range after the latest software updates.

It may be that Tesla, through the mothership, has identified certain use profiles that it considers to be at risk, and has targeted those cars with reduced max voltage, etc.

It seems everyone with older MS HAVE experienced longer SC charge times since the updates. If I am wrong, someone please correct me with a source...

I have similar results. However I do not doubt that a significant minority do have a sudden drop in rated range after the latest software updates.

It may be that Tesla, through the mothership, has identified certain use profiles that it considers to be at risk, and has targeted those cars with reduced max voltage, etc.

It seems everyone with older MS HAVE experienced longer SC charge times since the updates. If I am wrong, someone please correct me with a source...

Great point. Could also be that they are targeting high-mileage vehicles. There was an article on InsideEVs that talked about a Tesla owner who started a Class-Action Suit and he showed off his degradation report but his odometer showed he was well past 150K miles!

Reactions: willow_hiller
Great point. Could also be that they are targeting high-mileage vehicles. There was an article on InsideEVs that talked about a Tesla owner who started a Class-Action Suit and he showed off his degradation report but his odometer showed he was well past 150K miles!
Agreed. High mileage means more charge cycles, and possibly more SCing, and or charging to a higher SOC due to greater number of long trips.

I have 30k miles, store car at 55%, and try to keep between 30-70% for normal use. Less than 1% degradation, 267 RM...

My 2013 S85 just hit 105K miles yesterday, and I'm getting 223mi at 90%. That's down from 226-227 last year this time. When I got the car in 2013 it was around 242 I think (267 at 100%). I worry this winter it'll drop under 220 at 90%.

But still, I haven't seen the catastrophic drop others have seen. Just the same ol' gradual drop over the years.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
I've got a 2013 Model S 60 with ~42k on it. Drive normally in LA (traffic, no freezing weather). Original range was 208, now can't get past 165, about 20% down. Repeated visits to Tesla service end up with the same answer: the battery is fine and nothings wrong; essentially, "sit down and shut up." Finally, I wrote a letter to the CTO explaining that if GM's cars had a 20% reduction in their gas tanks in ~40k miles, there would be a recall. That letter did nothing - just another local guy called me to tell me nothing's wrong.

Worse yet, I'm still such a believer that there are at least three people who have bought Teslas thanks to my referrals.

Is anyone else having this problem from normal driving? Am I crazy to think I'm being mistreated?
I had the exact experience. My car is exactly you profile and all of a sudden I could only charge to exactly 165. Plus, it is now charging slower.

Reactions: ACA Man