Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whole Home Backup with 400, 600 or 800 amp service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
but that was the configuration you wanted. i'm one hundred percent positive you don't use more then 200 amps, minus car charging...
you should NOT backup car chargers, they belong in the non backup loads panel.
With the Powerwall's ability to control Tesla EV chargers having it on the backed up side isn't a terrible option. I would guess that for all but the largest solar setups that a level 1 charger would be enough during an outage scenario so in general I agree that one likely would not want to back up a level 2 charger. I could see if someone had, say, a 20kw+ PV system they could be interested in having an L2 charger on the backup side to maximize excess PV production while the grid is down.

Reactions: preilly44
With the Powerwall's ability to control Tesla EV chargers having it on the backed up side isn't a terrible option. I would guess that for all but the largest solar setups that a level 1 charger would be enough during an outage scenario so in general I agree that one likely would not want to back up a level 2 charger. I could see if someone had, say, a 20kw+ PV system they could be interested in having an L2 charger on the backup side to maximize excess PV production while the grid is down.
I just do not get why so much energy on front side, back side. Power just does not go out that often. IMO, was so much easier to back up everything. Then if I do lose power, I am smart enough to know what to use and what not to use. I always try to have my car with lots of gas, so my cars are not an issue.

Agree new Tesla chargers are intriguing, in normal use you should be able to set to charge off excess solar so you don’t export or drain batteries. My fear is power goes out and you don’t realize it and the car charges from powerwall, possibly draining it.. so best to use L2 cord into 50 amp outlet. Can you set the new Tesla chargers to not charge off batteries..

The control even works with the charger that comes with the car. Don’t even need the HPWC. I just have a NEMA 50 outlet and the standard charger plugged in. I tested it and it does indeed get controlled by the gateway when there is no grid power.

Wish I knew how it communicates. Supposedly works with no internet connection, so I’m assuming some kind of powerline networking?

Reactions: preilly44
I have (2) 200 amp panels in my home. The reasoning behind having (2) separate 200-amp electrical control panels is this.

One control panel is for my geothermal heating & cooling system & my two 75 gallon electric hot water heaters, and the other 200-amp control panel is for all of the other electricity in the home.

The service provider makes you split the geothermal & hot water heaters off from the other electricity in the home, as I have a grandfathered electrical rate for the geothermal and hot water. Also, there is "On-Peak" and "Off-Peak" demand times, on the geothermal & hot water panel, unlike the other panel.

The house, thus has (2) meters as well.