Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why $100 deposit for the truck and $2500 for the Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model 3 has been $100 deposit for a few months now. I believe they've found that $100 deposits lead to more fulfilled orders, and they just haven't yet updated the Model Y page.

Screenshot from 2019-11-25 15-39-03.png

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
The wait time on the truck is too long. Customers have a lot less to complain about with a $100 deposit if things change slightly with the design. Let's say the truck is delayed an extra year, $100 is not much to complain about. A $1000 deposit and a delay would cause a lot more push back.

The Model Y deposit has a much more concrete window to production since it's based on the model 3 and the design won't change much. Holding onto customer funds in that case isn't going to cause any friction with customers since the timeline is easier to meet.

Plus, Tesla is self funding. They don't financially need to hold on to deposits for years.

Overall, it's a very pro-customer policy to have a low deposit to keep interest and enthusiasm high about the cybertruck when launching a new product. The risk gets shifted to Tesla if they make a mistake gauging demand. Luckily Tesla will have so many vehicles in production by 2021 in multiple factories that it's not going to matter.

Last edited:
I think Musk knew the design was controversial for the Cybrtrck. He wanted to have a blast out of reservations - and got them.

The Y was very traditional, and he wanted to have a realistic projection of orders,

Was he right? Great big powerful Ford who (according to the naysayers) can squash Tesla in manufacturing with their eyes closed announced their flagship MUSTANG EV last week before the Cybrtrck. Drum roll, please ... they got only 10,000 reservations compared to Tesla's 200,000

Reactions: APotatoGod
This was clearly a way for Tesla to get interest free revenue for a few years.

Even people on the fence about the truck can afford a refundable $100 deposit. Back when I got on the list to reserve the Model 3, I hated putting down the $1,000 and waiting a few years to get it. Then when the Model Y reservations came out, I refused to put down $2,500. But $100 is nothing and even better when it's refundable. But unfortunately, for the current Model 3 ordering process the $100 isn't refundable.

Interest on $20M is less than rounding error when you have $5.825B in the bank.
It's not about Tesla earning interest, it's about them showing revenue to investors. They don't even have to actually deliver the truck, in a few years because this money can be used now for better projects, that make even more revenue. The idea of getting customers to invest in futures is brilliant. Even wineries are going it now.

It's not about Tesla earning interest, it's about them showing revenue to investors. They don't even have to actually deliver the truck, in a few years because this money can be used now for better projects, that make even more revenue. The idea of getting customers to invest in futures is brilliant. Even wineries are going it now.
$

20M is effectively equivalent to $0. It's a non-event at Tesla's level.

Here4's why I think they wouldn't and shouldn't charge more:

With the truck, you "don't quite know what you've ordered" at this point. It will change. It will have side mirrors. It will have windshield wipers (somehow). That Night Rider steering handlebar will become an actual wheel. It will not have the "curb rash magnet" hub caps. And those are only the things that I'm pretty sure about.

It wouldn't surprise me if they also flatten the pointy roof and trim down the sides of the bed. (Without this it can't pull a 5th wheel.)

What we saw is essentially a concept vehicle.

It would be silly for Tesla to ask for a lot on deposits because this vehicle isn't even next in line for release.

The Model Y is.

A lot of bears are saying 200,000 reservations are going to disappear when its time to put up or shut up.

Me, I will guarantee 1st year production will sell out if the specs and price come as advertised.

I'm willing to take and escrow some bets if anyone wants to challenge me.