Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why all the hate for the Aero wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is this question 4 pages deep...

They are god awful.. I'm sorry if I offend.
I find it kind of weird that Tesla can design a wheel that is so elegant and aggressive (Turbines), and then come out with something so radically different (good for them for testing boundaries?) Maybe I'm just not ready for that style..But hey, to each his own... but I'm still saying YUK!

• Disagree
Reactions: C141medic and DR61
Now you've done it, insulted my regional attire and national dishes. :mad: Give me some good kombucha and lentils with some kaladetz and blahchinda on the side and you can eat like a KING....................oh wait, you're a Kiwi, land of Vegemite and chutney ..................nevermind. :p :D

I will happily drive my TM3 with aero covers, the kombucha of EVs but I will never buy again a Hessian sack made with NZ wool especially a recycled one with the sheep still inside! ;)

Chutney? nah, not a fan, thats more of an English/Indian thing isn't it? And damn straight on the Vegemite.. the proper stuff, not that marmite rubbish.

Lentils I know, chutney I know to avoid, and kiwis are delicious.

I have never heard of, let alone experienced, so the rest so my credentials are in tatters. ;-(
Tatters? Then you must be wearing a recycled Hessian sack made in NZ!
m01100.gif

How is this question 4 pages deep...

They are god awful.. I'm sorry if I offend.
I find it kind of weird that Tesla can design a wheel that is so elegant and aggressive (Turbines), and then come out with something so radically different (good for them for testing boundaries?) Maybe I'm just not ready for that style..But hey, to each his own... but I'm still saying YUK!

I'm curious what your thoughts are on the look of the Aeros without the caps on - what do you think of them?

tesla-model-3-aero-wheels-without-cap.jpg

Reactions: Blup85
Now you've done it, insulted my regional attire and national dishes. :mad: Give me some good kombucha and lentils with some kaladetz and blahchinda on the side and you can eat like a KING....................oh wait, you're a Kiwi, land of Vegemite and chutney ..................nevermind. :p :D

I will happily drive my TM3 with aero covers, the kombucha of EVs but I will never buy again a Hessian sack made with NZ wool especially a recycled one with the sheep still inside! ;)

If you want to really insult him, just call him an Australian and say the All Blacks suck. lmao.

Why do I hate Aero wheels? Because the hubcaps are ugly, the wheels themselves without hubcaps are average at best, and Tesla made the wheels ugly on purpose to get people to spend $1500 MORE MONEY on the only wheel option.

But their evil plan will fail to pry more bucks out of my wallet. I'll either take my Aero hubcaps off and drive like that, or get cheap aftermarket 18 inch wheels. No more money for Tesla.

I'm curious what your thoughts are on the look of the Aeros without the caps on - what do you think of them?

tesla-model-3-aero-wheels-without-cap.jpg

This is the look that has me seeing red...
I'm someone who is convincing themselves that the standard black will be great with the aeros (covers on) and that's how I should roll...but I do like the gun metal grey, sans cover aeros with the multi coat red.

No Englishmen or Indians in NZ? o_O What did you do, build a wall around your island to keep all the undesirables out? Hey, we have this guy we can deport to you and you will absolutely love him as Prime Minister. Like you, he doesn't believe in Climate Change either! :D

No we have a natural moat.. the pacific ocean. No border wall needed. And no, we don't want your reject politicians, we have enough dimbulb politicians here.. we are just about to spin the wheel of stupid and see which muppets get to sit in the shiny seats for the next three years *sigh*

No we have a natural moat.. the pacific ocean. No border wall needed. And no, we don't want your reject politicians, we have enough dimbulb politicians here.. we are just about to spin the wheel of stupid and see which muppets get to sit in the shiny seats for the next three years *sigh*

Funny how some things, namely politicians, seem to the the same everywhere - no matter how different everything else might be in each country in the world. ;)
Oh and we too are having our national election in a few days time.

I find it kind of weird that Tesla can design a wheel that is so elegant and aggressive (Turbines), and then come out with something so radically different (good for them for testing boundaries?)

The laws of physics don't care about one's personal style preferences. Wheels are an aerodynamic disaster zone. As a general rule, the less that the external airflow interacts with the wheel, the lower the drag.

And style preferences constantly change, generally lagging well behind but ultimately following vehicle needs. Once upon a time having a non-vertical windshield was seen as a crazy, ugly style change. So was headlights embedded into the hood rather than external "lamps". So were bumpers. And later, integrated bumpers. Literally hundreds of things we take for granted now were at one time considered eyesores; for many of them, now people would see cars as eyesores without them (or at least antiquated)

I think the Maori should throw the whole lot of you into the moat and make you swim for it.
t107112.gif

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricKiwi
The ero wheels are not wheels they are nasty cheap plastic hard caps. They belong on a $10000-$15000 car. Differently don't belong on any luxury car. I do feel a little that I have to pay $1500 just to get wheels that should of been standard. At least we can take those nasty cheap looking things off.

Would you prefer expensive plastic? What material might you suggest that does the job here? This is a fairing.

In aerospace we generally use graphite for things like this, but it would be difficult to make in any kind of shape you'd actually approve of, and it would be unnecessarily expensive.

You choose the material based on the job it is supposed to do. It would be silly to use metal as it's more expensive and heavy. You don't need the strength because the underlying wheel is carrying the load from the tires.

This complaint of "cheap" plastic reminds me of the people paying millions for aircraft that was designed to be absolutely as light as possible. Then they go through and rip out the fixtures and replace it with solid gold, adding pounds back into a plane we were doing everything we could to get ounces out of.

Would you prefer expensive plastic? What material might you suggest that does the job here? This is a fairing.

In aerospace we generally use graphite for things like this, but it would be difficult to make in any kind of shape you'd actually approve of, and it would be unnecessarily expensive.

You choose the material based on the job it is supposed to do. It would be silly to use metal as it's more expensive and heavy. You don't need the strength because the underlying wheel is carrying the load from the tires.

This complaint of "cheap" plastic reminds me of the people paying millions for aircraft that was designed to be absolutely as light as possible. Then they go through and rip out the fixtures and replace it with solid gold, adding pounds back into a plane we were doing everything we could to get ounces out of.

I don't think "cheap" refers to actual cost/lb. Part of the problem, at least for me, is that, in addition to the A-surface being blunt, flat, and unattractive, the material looks cheap, even if it was made from "unobtanium".

Saw a Citation X with granite floors in the cabin.
Go figure.
Robin

I don't think "cheap" refers to actual cost/lb. Part of the problem, at least for me, is that, in addition to the A-surface being blunt, flat, and unattractive, the material looks cheap, even if it was made from "unobtanium".

I'll have to reserve judgement for seeing them in person, but as of now I don't think they look cheap. Plastic has a stigma with it that many can't get past I think. However, an easy to replace cheap part in an area where damage is common is good design.

I tend to agree with an earlier post that Tesla's play is to encourage buyers to pay additional for nicer wheels.

Wheels are a personal choice .... look how many different designs are available from after-market suppliers.

Few readers have actually seen the aero wheels. Up close and in person .... we may all love them.
However, the disconnect in my mind is aerodynamic wheel coverings are not going to be that effective on a "in-town" stop and go vehicle. Sure, some will venture out onto the open road .... and several writers have said they would put the aeros back on in that situation.

Based solely on a few pictures posted (not too evident on the picture above) .... it appears the tire is disfigured, as if stretched out .... to fit on a wheel that is too wide. I've mentioned it elsewhere and some agreed and some did not see what I am talking about.

In the event I actually purchase a M3 .... I may just buy after-market wheels???? I'll know when I actually see one.