Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why all the hate for the Aero wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like others have said, it's a personal preference, and for me, whether they look good or not is heavily dependent on the body color. From my viewpoint, the sport wheels look fantastic on just about every body color (as they should), but I only like the aero covers on a handful of the body colors (mostly white and red -- sometimes black, silver and midnight silver). I say this as someone who usually doesn't give a rat's ass about what the wheels on my car look like -- heck, I never really paid much attention to wheel designs and colors until Tesla put this aeros-vs-sports decision in front of me.

For my own Model 3 configuration, I'm heavily leaning toward blue on the body color, and that's my least favorite body color for the aero covers -- they just don't seem to match anything else on the car, and therefore seem out-of-place. The 19" sport wheels look excellent with blue, but at the same time, I'm not a fan of the lower-profile tires, and I'd rather put the $1500 toward something else I actually want. And I think that's where a lot of the frustration with the aeros comes in: Tesla's decision to go with a polarizing design for the standard wheels (and the only available option for 18" wheels) has left me to choose between two options that I do not like, on a car that is otherwise exactly what I've been looking for all these years. I can't help but feel that this problem is one of Tesla's own making.

As things currently stand, I'll probably just order the 18s and take off the covers, and hope that some nicer-looking covers (or 18" wheels) become available on the aftermarket. If not, I guess I'll have to get used to the darker rims... If the aero covers (and the underlying wheel) were available in a silver color (similar to what we saw on the RCs), I'd definitely consider using them, and I'd be perfectly satisfied running them with the covers removed (with lugs and the T cap, of course), because they look like standard, run-of-the-mill wheels that go well with a color like blue. I guess I'm old-fashioned that way, despite being south of 40....

If the Aero covers turn out to be more efficient for highway travel I will have them on. I appreciate efficiency. They are not bad looking to me but would look better if they had silver colored accents (the gloss black areas now). I will consider painting or coating them.

I think some people (myself included) don't like the look. I'm okay with you liking it, but one of the reasons I don't like it is that it looks cheap to me. Kind of like a bad "comp" in real-estate, I'm not a fan of people driving around in the model 3 making it look "cheap" (IMO). That's about it; to each his own.

By the way, do you want know approximately how much money those aero wheels will save you? Look up what you plan to pay per kWh and how many miles you drive a year to see YOUR yearly savings due to the aero wheels. I drive 20K per year and pay about $0.06/kWh, so the aero wheels would save me a whopping $16.05 per year. Not willing to pay that for ugly ;)

Code:
5%        5,000      10,000      15,000      20,000
 $0.02      $1.34      $2.67      $4.01      $5.35
 $0.04      $2.67      $5.35      $8.02      $10.70
 $0.06      $4.01      $8.02      $12.04      $16.05
 $0.08      $5.35      $10.70      $16.05      $21.40
 $0.10      $6.69      $13.37      $20.06      $26.75
 $0.12      $8.02      $16.05      $24.07      $32.10
 $0.14      $9.36      $18.72      $28.08      $37.44
 $0.16      $10.70      $21.40      $32.10      $42.79
 $0.18      $12.04      $24.07      $36.11      $48.14
 $0.20      $13.37      $26.75      $40.12      $53.49
 $0.22      $14.71      $29.42      $44.13      $58.84
 $0.24      $16.05      $32.10      $48.14      $64.19
 $0.26      $17.38      $34.77      $52.15      $69.54
 $0.28      $18.72      $37.44      $56.17      $74.89
 $0.30      $20.06      $40.12      $60.18      $80.24
 $0.32      $21.40      $42.79      $64.19      $85.59
 $0.34      $22.73      $45.47      $68.20      $90.94
 $0.36      $24.07      $48.14      $72.21      $96.29
 $0.38      $25.41      $50.82      $76.23      $101.63
 $0.40      $26.75      $53.49      $80.24      $106.98
 $0.42      $28.08      $56.17      $84.25      $112.33
 $0.44      $29.42      $58.84      $88.26      $117.68
 $0.46      $30.76      $61.52      $92.27      $123.03
 $0.48      $32.10      $64.19      $96.29      $128.38

I assumed an average of 5% efficiency savings and used the following EPA numbers for calculations:
MPGe = 126
1 gal = 33.7 kWh
3.739 mi/kWh

They are hideous! Take the covers off and what do you have...don't know. Is the wheel going to be a dark color or a lighter color...don't know! Some pictures of the Aero wheels look acceptable to me because the wheel is a lighter color..do not want a dark colored wheel.
Well, you are not going to like them then because it is the darker gray color underneath. The lighter silver was only on the earlier prototypes.

Some people just really don't like the looks and originally believed they'd have to spend $1,500 to get wheels on their Model 3 that looked normal. Though given information that the covers can be easily removed, that's not a real concern now.

Exactly this. They are IMO butt-ugly, about the only type of wheel that'd I'd chose the Aero cover equipped 18" wheel over is chrome spinners. At least now that we know the wheel underneath is a normal and not totally ugly wheel.

Some of us aren't hardcore eco-warriors, and the only reason we are considering the model 3 is that it happens to look like a normal car, has reasonably good performance and should be cheap to run. (Particularly if the public 50kW DC chargers in my area stay free to use for the next 3-4 years.)

If the bmw I3 had the same range and perfomance as the model 3, and was $5k cheaper I still wouldn't be considering it.

I seem to have hit a nerve with some of you ;) Glad to hear what everyone thinks though, I wonder if Tesla is including the look of them in their initial employee survey of who got one to ask what they liked and didn't like. I wonder also if any of you had considered if you can paint the wheels underneath you could probably paint the Aero covers too. As with most things I think the after market people will come up with alternative covers. I'm planning on getting a separate set of wheels so I can have one set with snow tires and one for the rest of the year. Perhaps someone should ask Elon on twitter if they will provide an alternative non-aero 18" standard no-cost option for people.

I think some people (myself included) don't like the look. I'm okay with you liking it, but one of the reasons I don't like it is that it looks cheap to me. Kind of like a bad "comp" in real-estate, I'm not a fan of people driving around in the model 3 making it look "cheap" (IMO). That's about it; to each his own.

I assumed an average of 5% efficiency savings and used the following EPA numbers for calculations:
MPGe = 126
1 gal = 33.7 kWh
3.739 mi/kWh

The time savings on long trips will be worth more then the efficiency savings. If I can get an extra 10% in range at higher speeds it will help a lot. Driving at slower speeds in town might only save you 2% so not much savings for that.

Reactions: landis and DR61
Many people only like things they've seen many times before. The dash got a ton of hate for being hard to use and a supposed safety hazard from people who had never seen it in person, much less driven the car.

Currently big chrome wheels are associated with having spent a bunch of money on wheels. It doesn't matter that you get a rougher ride, worse range and you have to replace the tires more often, people don't like the aero wheels because they look different.

Form should follow function. The most beautiful form is the one that does it's job the best.

• Love
Reactions: Zoomit
Many people only like things they've seen many times before. ...people don't like the aero wheels because they look different.

Under your theory, (and I repeat myself), the problem with the very different Pontiac Aztek or Fiat Multipla, or other historically lowly-regarded designs was that they were judged too quickly? Over time and repeated exposure, you've begun to think they look good?:rolleyes:

There are all sorts of rationalizations for the Aero wheel cover, mostly relying on efficiency. But, there is no avoiding that to a significant number of people here, it is just plain ugly today, and will be tomorrow as well, and we don't need to let that happen to our new and expensive cars.

Last edited:
Under your theory, (and I repeat myself), the problem with the very different Pontiac Aztek or Fiat Multipla, or other historically lowly-regarded designs was that they were judged too quickly? Over time and repeated exposure, you've begun to think they look good?:rolleyes:

It's possible, its happened over and over and over again. Giant stupid tail fins were popular at one point, as were white walls and normal tires. It's taken decades for low profile to become the norm on more expensive and sport cars. Wagons for years were considered some of the ugliest, uncool cars on the planet. Now every third thread in this forum is bemoaning that the model 3 isn't a hatchback. Different name, same thing.

However, what was the benefit that the Aztek had? Being unusual for its own sake is not at all the point. If the form change comes with a benefit, then eventually it will catch on. Assuming the success of EVs, you will probably have Aeros on your next car and not even think about it.

It's possible, its happened over and over and over again. Giant stupid tail fins were popular at one point, as were white walls and normal tires. It's taken decades for low profile to become the norm on more expensive and sport cars. Wagons for years were considered some of the ugliest, uncool cars on the planet. Now every third thread in this forum is bemoaning that the model 3 isn't a hatchback. Different name, same thing.

However, what was the benefit that the Aztek had? Being unusual for its own sake is not at all the point. If the form change comes with a benefit, then eventually it will catch on. Assuming the success of EVs, you will probably have Aeros on your next car and not even think about it.

Perhaps we are belaboring this, but I think you are blending the intellectual appreciation of function with the simple human response to appearance. All sorts of designs may be appreciated for function or purpose, but that doesn't make them inherently appealing to the eye, unless you over-intellectualize your reaction to convince yourself you should like a design merely because it works well. VW sold millions of Beetles and recognized that this was despite the appearance, not because of it. The advertising capitalized on that dichotomy. Remember, "It's Ugly But It Gets You There" ? Function and beauty are two different attributes which may or may not co-exist. I don't dispute the directional benefit of Aero covers. But, in the pursuit of that goal, Tesla has simply made them visually repugnant to a notable segment of posters on this forum.

The problem here is hyperbole. If people had just said they do not like the look or prefer the 19" wheel this thread would not exist. Instead people have to HATE the Aero cover.

I am, by the way, in the group that does not like dark wheels or covers. I'll either take them off or paint them.

Reactions: DR61
Perhaps we are belaboring this, but I think you are blending the intellectual appreciation of function with the simple human response to appearance. All sorts of designs may be appreciated for function or purpose, but that doesn't make them inherently appealing to the eye, unless you over-intellectualize your reaction to convince yourself you should like a design merely because it works well. VW sold millions of Beetles and recognized that this was despite the appearance, not because of it. The advertising capitalized on that dichotomy. Remember, "It's Ugly But It Gets You There" ? Function and beauty are two different attributes which may or may not co-exist. I don't dispute the directional benefit of Aero covers. But, in the pursuit of that goal, Tesla has simply made them visually repugnant to a notable segment of posters on this forum.

The simple human response to appearance is generally to hate anything unusual. And SageBrush brings up a good point that is probably as much to do with my annoyance of this subject. If they had just stuck an ugly regular wheel on there there would definitely be complaints, but no where near to this extent.

I dunno. Cars are generally pretty ugly beasts in my opinion. I think the aeros could be prettier, if only they were even simpler.

I particularly appreciate the comments about the Pontiac Aztec - whoof - what an UGLY car. In contrast, I think one of the most beautiful looking cars are the Porsche 911 series - so timeless that even after decades, the same basic shape is still palatable to most folks, by and large. While some have noted that the design of the M3 is very Mazda like, I think it's hard to miss a lot of the 911 design cues, at least for the front end.

All of the above for context - I like the aeros, because they disappear into the tires and the whole wheel disappears into the road, leaving the rest of the design more prominent. Look at any photo of the aero wheels and squint - see how much simpler the design looks? At speed, black wheels look even simpler, as if you were squinting - and my preference is always for the simplest.

Decades from now, when we have hover-cars or mag-lev cars with no wheels, we'll look at discussions about wheel design in a completely different way... the same way the Model S's fascia emulated the legacy "grill" of gas-pot cars. In the meantime, give me function over form, and if I have to deal with form that is doomed to obsolescence, at least make it as simple and sleek as you can.

Just my .0002 spacebucks :)

• Love
Reactions: landis
The simple human response to appearance is generally to hate anything unusual. And SageBrush brings up a good point that is probably as much to do with my annoyance of this subject. If they had just stuck an ugly regular wheel on there there would definitely be complaints, but no where near to this extent.

Unusual can also be quite striking and beautiful. Why do people photograph amazing places/objects which are new to them? Watch folks at an annual new car show, pointing/laughing at some while dazzled by others...all new to them. Indeed, I have not noted the negative response to novelty is at all universal. But, beauty remains in the eye of the beholder!

I also agree with SageBrush that hyperbole usually fails to make the intended point and invites emphatic rebuttal.

...and pay about $0.06/kWh, so the aero wheels would save me a whopping $16.05 per year. Not willing to pay that for ugly ;)

Please advise on your source of grid electricity in socal at that rate.

I am in an on-grid condo in socal, and minimize my electrical usage (timers on everything, everything OFF or in standby mode when not in use, off peak usage whenever possible, yada yada yada), and our entire household averages 8-15 kWH/day (winter vs. summer with air conditioning running). Yet I still fall into middle tier usage averaging $0.227/kWH total.

Aero covers would save me a whopping 4x over your calculated figure (either figure is of no concern to me affordability wise). However, an extra 20 miles of range in between superchargers in the vast southwestern deserts...absolutely priceless.

And besides, the aero rims are attractive somehow, due to form following function, and because 9 out of 10 M3's out there will all be looking the same and therefore generic with the 19" imo LOL.

Reactions: landis and DR61
I have been reading about the standard aero wheels vs getting the sport package on the M3 and I don't understand why people think it's such a bad thing. I get that some may not like the look, that's a personal preference. To me they don't look bad, and have some advantages. For example I can see the aero covers being useful to stop the gunk you can get from driving in the winter or rain that flies up. Is there a solid reason people have for not liking them beyond just not being used to how they look? I honestly think that you wouldn't really notice them after having owned them for a while and that on the whole, the overall look of the car is great.

People seem to like huge diameter wheels but with minimal face to them (skinny spokes). Just a fashion trend IMO. The aero wheels by necessity have a lot of face to them. I think they look pretty good compared to other aero wheels I've seen.

Reactions: DR61