Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why all the hate for the Aero wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of us aren't hardcore eco-warriors, and the only reason we are considering the model 3 is that it happens to look like a normal car, has reasonabldn't be considely good performance and should be cheap to run.
Those of us who are proud hardcore eco-warriors (like EM) are seducing you non-believers, kicking and screaming, into the reality of eco-warism. It is gratifying in a perverse way! ;) And it is interesting that those folks find a car with radical design elements like the front fascia, glass roof, and interior dash is starting to look like a "normal car." The change in attitude is happening more rapidly than I had hoped or expected!
I wonder if Tesla is including the look of them in their initial employee survey of who got one to ask what they liked and didn't like.
I believe the aero were designed to resemble the aero rims on the matte black car at the reveal last year. Those rims received such a positive response that EM used them as the basis for the design of the aero covers. Even today, way more reservationists like the 18" wheels than those that don't. Some will leave the covers on, some will remove them and use the standard rims under, and some will replace them with aftermarket rims. For those of you who remove the aero covers, I will wave to you as I drive past you on the Interstate while you are parked at the Supercharger.
Perhaps someone should ask Elon on twitter if they will provide an alternative option for people.
In my opinion, that will not happen for the foreseeable future.

The time savings on long trips will be worth more then the efficiency savings. If I can get an extra 10% in range at higher speeds it will help a lot. Driving at slower speeds in town might only save you 2% so not much savings for that.
I think 10% is too optimistic for the aero covers. I think it will be 5% at best. However, I think 10% improvement in range is possible with the aero covers, with LRR efficient tires, and driving at 65 mph.

Many people only like things they've seen many times before. The dash got a ton of hate for being hard to use and a supposed safety hazard from people who had never seen it in person, much less driven the car.
I agree. First people hated the front fascia. Then they hated the minimalist interior. Then people started saying, "it's growing on me" and "it looks like a normal car." Now a few people are hating the aero covers. It is only a matter of time before the aero covers will become "normal" and "grow on" most people.

But, there is no avoiding that to a significant number of people here, it is just plain ugly today, and will be tomorrow as well, and we don't need to let that happen to our new and expensive cars.
I am going to avoid your conclusion because statistically speaking a significant number of people do not find them ugly. This conclusion is based on survey of thousands not on a few dozen people on TMC.

It's possible, its happened over and over and over again. Giant stupid tail fins were popular at one point, as were white walls and normal tires. It's taken decades for low profile to become the norm on more expensive and sport cars.
It is difficult for people to accept change, especially in the US. We are, in general, a very conservative culture. We want things to be familiar and the same like it always was. We tend to accept change only when forced to. We are now being forced to accept alternative fuel personal transportation as the means to survival.

However, what was the benefit that the Aztek had? Being unusual for its own sake is not at all the point. If the form change comes with a benefit, then eventually it will catch on. Assuming the success of EVs, you will probably have Aeros on your next car and not even think about it.
The Aztec was a weirldmobile for no reason. The design had no purpose. The design of the TM3, including the wheel covers, is for a purpose, Some might consider them weird while most consider them functional to increase range.

For me, cost of operation is not a consideration because I generate my own electricity for "free" with my Solar City PV system. I am purchasing a TM3 because I am an "eco-warrior". I will use the aero covers because they will increase range, not because I might save $20 per year in electricity. I am doing doing this for my grandchildren so they can enjoy a happy, healthy life as adults in a cleaner environment. For me, it is the right thing to do.

Last edited:
I object to the framing.

You are being reasonable, and making an effort to not leave the planet in worse shape than you found it. As do I.
We are not "Eco warriors," THEY are idiots in denial
Yes, I agree up to a point, but "they" are their own worst enemy and I am trying to be compassionate. I would rather be called an eco-warrior than an eco-snowflake! :D I try to use the vernacular "they" seem to understand and relate to in order to open the lines of communication. I am an idiot on so many levels (just ask my DW) but I seem to respond better when she tells me what a smart idiot I am! :p

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SageBrush
Perhaps we are belaboring this, but I think you are blending the intellectual appreciation of function with the simple human response to appearance. All sorts of designs may be appreciated for function or purpose, but that doesn't make them inherently appealing to the eye, unless you over-intellectualize your reaction to convince yourself you should like a design merely because it works well. VW sold millions of Beetles and recognized that this was despite the appearance, not because of it. The advertising capitalized on that dichotomy. Remember, "It's Ugly But It Gets You There" ? Function and beauty are two different attributes which may or may not co-exist. I don't dispute the directional benefit of Aero covers. But, in the pursuit of that goal, Tesla has simply made them visually repugnant to a notable segment of posters on this forum.

I agree. I owned a Honda Ridgeline because I appreciated the functionality DESPITE it's hideous looks. I can appreciate the wheel covers for the efficiency gains, but I still think they're ugly.

I don't think the larger wheel trend is purely about repeated exposure. Designers have been putting huge tires on show cars since forever. It fills up the wheel well better and makes for a better look. Realities of production and economics bring the production tires down to size. However, bigger tires mean bigger contact patches meaning better performance. People want more. So cars get bigger all around. I don't think people want bigger tires simply because it's been pounded into them. There are legit design reasons why they look better, along with actual performance reasons.

The dash I'm not sure about. I do think some people moaned about it simply because of unfamiliarity. I'm generally ok with it, but I do wonder if the time honored way of having individual vents with the controls right on them is easier or not. Kind of like how all the car companies started going all touch buttons/screens, but started putting some back (like the volume knob) because it just works better (and is safer) in a car. I understand the 3 did it because it's meant to be fully autonomous and thus able to be shared, but I don't want to share my $50,000+ car.

I have been reading about the standard aero wheels vs getting the sport package on the M3 and I don't understand why people think it's such a bad thing. I get that some may not like the look, that's a personal preference. To me they don't look bad, and have some advantages. For example I can see the aero covers being useful to stop the gunk you can get from driving in the winter or rain that flies up. Is there a solid reason people have for not liking them beyond just not being used to how they look? I honestly think that you wouldn't really notice them after having owned them for a while and that on the whole, the overall look of the car is great.

Love the look of the OEM Aero wheels with custom paint ... thanks to the TMC connect event in Monterey!:cool:

IMG_6741.JPG
IMG_6744.JPG

Reactions: anticitizen13.7
Side note... you pay WHAT??? Your profile says you live in SoCal, do they really have rates as low as that? I live in WA and pay about 8.5 cents per kWh and I thought we had it pretty good up here.
@SageBrush seems to have figured it out. I have solar that produces more than I use. Once I add the Tesla to the mix, that won't be true. I estimate that about half my kWh usage will come from this surplus and half I will have to pay for :eek: The night time rate is $0.13.

I have been reading about the standard aero wheels vs getting the sport package on the M3 and I don't understand why people think it's such a bad thing. I get that some may not like the look, that's a personal preference. To me they don't look bad, and have some advantages. [...]

I think I might get my Model 3 with them, but use them with winter tires only. For the summer I could use the savings of not upgrading to the 19'' wheels for some nice aftermarket 18'' wheels (or just take the Aero covers off).

Last edited:
If the Aero covers turn out to be more efficient for highway travel I will have them on. I appreciate efficiency. They are not bad looking to me but would look better if they had silver colored accents (the gloss black areas now). I will consider painting or coating them.

Interesting. I just thought it might look good the other way around - change the gloss black areas to matte black, and change the rest to silver. Unfortunately I am crap with Photoshop, but someone more proficient might give it a try.

I object to the framing.

You are being reasonable, and making an effort to not leave the planet in worse shape than you found it. As do I.
We are not "Eco warriors," THEY are idiots in denial
Well done. Alienate those of us that are seriously considering sacrificing some convenience and buying an EV that doesn't meet 100% of our usage patterns and perhaps you'll convert us to your cause.. Or not.

• Informative
Reactions: T34ME
perhaps you'll convert us to your cause
There you go again. I don't have a "cause."

I just think it reasonable to not pee or defecate in my water,
turn my air toxic
flood my home
die from an emerging infectious disease
or starve from mass extinctions and spiraling AGW.

You want a pat on the back and to be called a hero for your great personal sacrifices in buying a Tesla.

As a manufacturer, Tesla has to design things for the general public. There are alot of people out there who would want the most eco car available. And then there are those who want the car to look good despite what wheels it has on.
As some of the posts before indicated, designers always put the biggest wheel they can draw on a paper to give the car a certain stance. In prototype form the car has to impress the big wigs without moving. So of course putting massive wheels to fill out the well is more desirable. Once real world physics and economics get in the way, the wheel/tire combo becomes more realistic.

This being said, I'll be picking up my 3 in blue with the aero wheels. Simply because I can use those puppies for winter. They're better suited for winter since it'll prevent snow buildup in the wheel itself. Which I'm sure anyone who has driven a vehicle with big exposed rims can tell you, getting snow on the wheel throws the balance off. Can't really move that quickly due to all the vibration you'll get from the wheels being off balanced.
Also because it's an OEM wheel, they have certain restrictions on how they look and how much they weigh. The eco warriors tend to forget weight is the ultimate factor against being truly eco. If you can remove even 3lbs of unsprung mass from the wheel, you'll have a vehicle which consumes less since it'll take less to move the wheel, in a corner, or coming to a stop. I know the OEM wheel on the Model S 19" is about 30-31lbs. That's extremely heavy for a wheel. A decent aftermarket wheel in the OEM size will weigh about 22-23lbs. You've just removed 7-8lbs of unsprung mass from each corner of the car. That's massive! Not to mention the fact it'll probably look alot nicer than the OEM wheels since the other factor for changing wheels is personal taste.
Not that there's anything wrong with the way the OEM wheels look. You just want to stand out from all the other 3's that'll be on the road. :)

I can't wait to see what aftermarket wheels are going to be offered in 18's. Since going up a size will undoubtedly increase wheel weight. Plus I personally hate all these vehicles with rubber bands for tires. Wheel repair will be inevitable.

The eco warriors tend to forget weight is the ultimate factor against being truly eco.
Oh not I. I am waiting to see what the standard 18" rims with wheel covers will weigh. Anything more than 20lbs will be unacceptable. If that is the case, I will explore 17" aftermarket rims. I know I can get 17" aftermarket cast rims in about 15lbs. range. Those may be difficult to fit because of offset and caliper clearance. But I am not going to presume or speculate anything at this point (I know, this is TMC afterall) until we have definite PCD, offset, and weight for the standard 18" rims. Then you may hear further from me.

@SageBrush seems to have figured it out. I have solar that produces more than I use. Once I add the Tesla to the mix, that won't be true. I estimate that about half my kWh usage will come from this surplus and half I will have to pay for :eek: The night time rate is $0.13.
I'm in the same position right now. I over produce and Edison sends me a rebate check at the end of each year......and that's with a 120v plug-in Prius. I will wait and see what my future TM3 will do to my excess. If I then under-produce, I will have either Solar City throw up another couple of panels or I will purchase a Power Wall, whichever makes sense.

Oh not I. I am waiting to see what the standard 18" rims with wheel covers will weigh. Anything more than 20lbs will be unacceptable. If that is the case, I will explore 17" aftermarket rims. I know I can get 17" aftermarket cast rims in about 15lbs. range. Those may be difficult to fit because of offset and caliper clearance. But I am not going to presume or speculate anything at this point (I know, this is TMC afterall) until we have definite PCD, offset, and weight for the standard 18" rims. Then you may hear further from me.

That's a guaranteed the OEM 18's will weigh more than 20lbs. I think they'll be about 25-26lbs. Put the cover on and it'll be closer to 28lbs.

Don't think you'll be able to put on 17's. I think the overall brake diameter and the caliper will prevent you from using 17's. Not to mention, the tire profile will be much bigger and possibly ruin some of the handling.
I think the 18's would be a perfect compromise between liveability and performance.

If the bmw I3 had the same range and perfomance as the model 3, and was $5k cheaper I still wouldn't be considering it.
The aero covers would look perfectly normal on a BMW i3. Therein lies the problem, I think.
Also, anyone arguing that covers/no covers makes a substantial difference in "eco-warriorness" is choosing to ignore the enormous energy content embedded in the manufacture of a product as massive as a new automobile.
Robin