Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Odd. You make it sound like the back seat of a Model 3 is some kind a punishment zone.

I'll have to visit a local Tesla Gallery and take another look, but last time I checked it appeared that it would function as designed--a place to sit while riding in the back of a car. I must have missed something?

Pity that saving an entire planet's future is such a low priority--heaven forbid Uber and Lyft passengers would have to suffer the tremendous pain and agony of riding in the back seat of a Model 3. The horror!

Exaggerate much?

It’s not bad in and of itself. But, compared to the Toyotas and Hondas mentioned, it is smaller.
About exactly same as the Corolla, but smaller than Civic, Camry, Accord, Clarity, etc.

I think a carbon tax would clear this all up, but as long dumping all the GHG's we'd like, with all those externalities borne by others, is the norm, it will take nothing but PERSONAL leadership to leave a usable planet for future generations.

That's pretty sad, but will hopefully change soon.

As for the excuses given thus far (cramped rear seat, insurance is too expensive) I think those are pretty lame, or being addressed (see "Tesla Insurance" and "Tesla Body Shops").

Regardless, I think that Tesla should consider the "bang for the buck" GHG impact of having many thousands of Model 3's in Uber/Lyft service once the China GF is running at full capacity and if they manage to meet all of the demand for the higher margin models.

Odd. You make it sound like the back seat of a Model 3 is some kind a punishment zone.

I'll have to visit a local Tesla Gallery and take another look, but last time I checked it appeared that it would function as designed--a place to sit while riding in the back of a car. I must have missed something?

Pity that saving an entire planet's future is such a low priority--heaven forbid Uber and Lyft passengers would have to suffer the tremendous pain and agony of riding in the back seat of a Model 3. The horror!

I was not suggesting that "saving the planet" is a low priority, for me or for anyone else. I was simply trying to suggest one practical reason that a driver for Uber or Lyft might not immediately switch to a Model 3. Vehicles have various purposes, and people's criteria for satisfying those purposes certainly vary.

Uber and Lyft drivers can’t afford a $40k Model 3 lol it’s really that simple. They can afford a $10k used Toyota though
That’s been my experience. But I think there are some places in, say, California where even the Uber drivers have new mid-priced cars. People who live there can easily have a warped view of the universe. I know, as I live part time in that Disneyland and part time in industrial Midwest. It’s easy to start thinking that what you see is the same everywhere else.

The perfect car for ride sharing is a hail damaged econo box, maybe a hybrid. In Denver, I get these regularly as they can be bought very cheap with salvage titles. Drivers look for efficient cars with low miles.

Here is why the OP is just wrong. The Model 3 requires an explanation on how the door handles work for entry and exit. Any bodywork will take your car offline for months potentially. The best fares are the really long ones, which I regularly do between San Diego and LA or to the mountains in Colorado. No supercharging is available, it is often out of the way or across town and requires costly down time. Insurance can be expensive and the rider needed for this business is probably going to make that worse. Drivers don't have garages in most cases to charge at home is this is their profession. Entry to the car or trunk in weather is a wet / snowy endeavor. The phone dock location is just plain stupid in all Teslas when you need to use your ride sharing app.

I could go on and on, but I have wasted too much time responding to troll bait.

• Helpful
Reactions: David29
Uber and Lyft drivers can’t afford a $40k Model 3 lol it’s really that simple. They can afford a $10k used Toyota though

Yes, that is 100% true FOR SOME DRIVERS.

Others have no problem driving a car that's less expensive than a Camry or Accord, over time. Those are the drivers of whom I speak.

Shocker: Tesla Model 3 vs. Honda Civic — 15 Cost Comparisons Over 5 Years | CleanTechnica

Honda Accord & Toyota Camry Buyers — What The Heck Are You Doing? | CleanTechnica

The perfect car for ride sharing is a hail damaged econo box, maybe a hybrid. In Denver, I get these regularly as they can be bought very cheap with salvage titles. Drivers look for efficient cars with low miles.

Here is why the OP is just wrong. The Model 3 requires an explanation on how the door handles work for entry and exit. Any bodywork will take your car offline for months potentially. The best fares are the really long ones, which I regularly do between San Diego and LA or to the mountains in Colorado. No supercharging is available, it is often out of the way or across town and requires costly down time. Insurance can be expensive and the rider needed for this business is probably going to make that worse. Drivers don't have garages in most cases to charge at home is this is their profession. Entry to the car or trunk in weather is a wet / snowy endeavor. The phone dock location is just plain stupid in all Teslas when you need to use your ride sharing app.

I could go on and on, but I have wasted too much time responding to troll bait.

Yes, I can imagine that explaining how door handles work could be a real challenge . . . leaving really dumb passengers standing outside your car for hours while they figure out the door handles could be a real hassle.

Yes, Tesla is building their own body shops to address "costly down time."

Yes, Tesla has begun their own insurance subsidiary.

Yes, Tesla is building even more Superchargers, and the v3.0's can charge upwards of 1,000 mph.

Yes, you will be able to dump GHG's with abandon for a while yet, but not forever. Then your fossil fuel vehicle will have even less value, not to mention the externalities your selfish and/or poor choices leave for others, and other generations, to pay.

But for those that do give a damn, it is time for Uber and Lyft drivers to get on board with EV's.