Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why bother with final payment in advance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I and in the Dallas area and just went through the process today. Literally just paid for the car this morning. Tesla won’t ship the car to Texas until you have paid in full. From that point it’s a 14 day wait to receive the car…

The agreement says that Tesla with use a third party to transport the car and pay to insure the car in transit. So if there are any issues. We will see how it plays out. I’m just praying that the car will be perfect when I get it!

Was this a 3? If so, did you do 'cash' or 'finance it myself' for payment method? And if the latter, did they eventually let you know when it was time to set up financing & etc?

Was this a 3? If so, did you do 'cash' or 'finance it myself' for payment method? And if the latter, did they eventually let you know when it was time to set up financing & etc?
It was is 3 and I did cash pay, so I didn’t have to deal with financing. I did a trade-is, so that did cause some delay. Once the trade-in deal was set, they opened the payment screen and asked me to make payment. I did an ACH payment. They, then called me immediately (within a few hours) to schedule delivery for 14 days out.

I know there are others on here who have financed the 3 in Texas.

• Informative
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
It was is 3 and I did cash pay, so I didn’t have to deal with financing. I did a trade-is, so that did cause some delay. Once the trade-in deal was set, they opened the payment screen and asked me to make payment. I did an ACH payment. They, then called me immediately (within a few hours) to schedule delivery for 14 days out.

What other paperwork did you have to sign and send? I know there used to be this complicated dance of documents shuttling back and forth but always seemed in flux as the Model 3 was ramping up. What's the process like now? I posted the question on the Texas board here about the details of the current procedure but unfortunately haven't seen a reply yet.

What other paperwork did you have to sign and send? What's the process like now?

TL,DR: 2 FedEx packets, one for trade in one for TX registration.

Paper work seems to be pretty streamlined. My ISA reached out via email to confirm details such as registration, financing/cash pay, and trade-in. At this point she provided my VIN on request. I did a trade-in which required me to submit photos and some details about the car. I also to the car to Carmax. Tesla gave me the standard lowball offer. I showed my ISA the carmax appraisal offer and Tesla matched it ($1250 increase in the offer). At that point, tesla fedex overnighted me trade in documents for me to sign. I sent back the title and the signed trade in agreement using a prepaid FedEx label. Finally, I made final payment for my balance via ACH.

At that point my ISA called me and scheduled delivery. In on the call and in the confirmation email, I was informed that there would be one more Fedex. I was told that I had to complete it before delivery and bring it to deliver. I was told that they wont be able to help me at the delivery, must be completed in advance. Here is what the email said:

You will be receiving a registration packet via FedEx 1-2 days prior to delivery. Please ensure you follow all instructions and bring that packet completed with you to delivery. We cannot deliver the car without it.

• Helpful
Reactions: ℬête Noire