Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why can't I "top off"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I charged to 100% overnight because I am taking a trip that is going to be pushing the limits with mileage and charger availability. It only went to 99%, and throughout the day has dropped to 96%. I would like to be able to start charging and top it up that few % (the trip is pretty close), but it just says Charging Complete.

Is there a way to force it to top up? Just curious, I'd rather have those few % than wish I had....

Did you mean 99%? Otherwise, I don't see why he would unplug at 96%.
I meant 96%, that's what OP stated the charge level had dropped to.

I'm assuming the scenario was similar to what I experience - my target charge is 70%, my scheduled charging starts at 10 pm, but in the AM when I go to unplug its already dropped to 69% or 68%, despite still having a "charging complete" status. Except in this case, it seems the OP has let it set at 100% for hours instead of driving off as soon as charging finished.

Reactions: DerbyDave
That's correct, I charged it overnight then checked in a couple of hours prior to my trip and it had gone down to 96%. I did unplug it and actually backed out of the driveway and back in, then plugged in again. It still gave me the "charging complete" message.

I hit the nearest Supercharger about 20 miles away on the way out just to recoup what I lost getting out of my own neighborhood and then I was able to make it to my destination and back. If I had not charged at all, it is possible I'd have made it, but I don't like seeing '-3%' as a round trip estimate - even if I know I'll probably make up about 10-12% back by driving mellow.

My total for the trip was 293 wh/mi so not sure how much more delicate I could have driven, esp with 70-75mph limits the whole way. Extrapolating the numbers at the end of the trip I still don't see how I have anything higher than a 68kwh battery - check my math? I used (97%-22%)= 75% = 51kwh = 174 miles.

Anyway, it worked out ok - thanks for the extra info!

So I charged to 100% overnight because I am taking a trip that is going to be pushing the limits with mileage and charger availability. It only went to 99%, and throughout the day has dropped to 96%. I would like to be able to start charging and top it up that few % (the trip is pretty close), but it just says Charging Complete.

Is there a way to force it to top up? Just curious, I'd rather have those few % than wish I had....
Are you just trying to kill your battery as quickly as possible ?

What you described is about the worst thing you can do for your battery.

Plugshare is your friend.

Are you just trying to kill your battery as quickly as possible ?

What you described is about the worst thing you can do for your battery.

Plugshare is your friend.

Eh, it was a one-time thing.... normally just charge to 80% or so at home. Of course i know i can hit level 2 chargers, just was hoping to have enough charge in my 85kwh battery to make a <200 mile highway round trip...

Can you elaborate more on what specifically is going to kill the battery? Charging it to 100% - ever? Or just that I was trying to top it off so I could make the trip without having to stop at a charger? I probably still have some "new owner" range anxiety here and there, so always trying to learn.

It is OK to charge to 100% occasionally, as long as you don't keep it at 100% long. Set the departure time or figure it out. It really isn't as efficient, and you lose regen braking for awhile, etc., but I have found it to be just what I need on several trips where I might not have to stop on a roundtrip if I leave with 100%. Of course, I can stop if I need to, but it is nice to just go and come back home.

Reactions: electricar
when you charge to 100% you should be starting a drive in like n hour of it finishing.

If you want to force a charge from 96 to 100 you can unplug and plug back in that would trigger it usually. also if you go on the app and move the slider to like 80% wait a couple min then move it to 100% it should also trigger a start.