Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why can't my car prevent cub rash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
normal cars have narrower wheels, and usually taller sidewalls that bulge out a bit past the rim of the wheel.

most other cars 18x7.5 vs M3 aero 18x8.5
most other cars 19x8.5 vs MY gemini 19x9.5

i rarely hit the curb, but sometimes making a quick right turn at a busy intersection the rear hits the curb, but "meatier" tires will take the hit instead of the wheel.

my Sportage SX 18x7.5 wheels and 235/55R18 tires, 0 curb rash owned 9 years

20240304_182706.jpg

my wife's M3, 3 wheels have curb rash, owned for 13 months.

20240304_182716.jpg

I've rarely hit wheels on my other cars, but it just seems to happen on my MYP. Got it in the drive-thru at IN-n-OUT a couple of days ago. The car doesn't turn very sharply, and I get myself in trouble from it. Anyway, why isn't my car helping to prevent that? I suspect all the damage I read about with Hertz rentals is about curb rash.

You probably got the self-kurbing wheels installed at the factory ... I know I did

in fact I caught the front left just yesterday

really annoying, but at least it's balanced as I've done all 4 now

To answer your original question, I suspect the camera sees ahead and notes the lane markings, then does some extrapolation to figure out where yor wheels are in relation to the extended line. You don't have the same information available for the wheels when parking

Reactions: Skavatar
You probably got the self-kurbing wheels installed at the factory ... I know I did

in fact I caught the front left just yesterday

really annoying, but at least it's balanced as I've done all 4 now

To answer your original question, I suspect the camera sees ahead and notes the lane markings, then does some extrapolation to figure out where yor wheels are in relation to the extended line. You don't have the same information available for the wheels when parking
I'm not parking when I get curb rash. I'm generally driving through a tight parking lot at low speeds. Last one happened in a tight and curved drive-thru.

I'll tell you what I think may eventually force this to change. Someday an insurance company is going to ding you for having a car without 'curb rash protection', or discount your rate if you do. Once there are $$ involved, Tesla will implement additional cameras if necessary.

normal cars have narrower wheels, and usually taller sidewalls that bulge out a bit past the rim of the wheel
That's the one thing I've always disliked about Tesla's choice of wheel setups, they insist on wheels that stick out as far as the tires. I doubt the improved aerodynamics make that much of a difference and most of us would prefer to have more wheel protection from tires that stick out farther. Because without that it's too easy to curb the wheels on a Tesla.

I'm disappointed in my ability to keep from hitting curbs in my 2023 MYP. I note that it wiggles the steering wheel when I get too close to a lane line. Why can't my car at least warn me if I'm heading for a curb?
you would have to have a sensor in the middle of the wheel, no one has that, how could you react to the warning noise as its happening, it would warn on inches, feet, would be going off all of the time

maybe change the question to how can YOU stop hitting the curb?
1. take wider turns as my family has learned
2. if you inherently hit the curb and cannot help yourself, get one of the great new rim protectors, like Teslaunch
3. redo your tire setup for wider than the rim, change to square setup with 19 or 18" rims, btw will increase efficiency and range
we use to hit the curb and learned, wide turns and have the rim protection on
we are living a better life now, we love your MYP

I note that it wiggles the steering wheel when I get too close to a lane line. Why can't my car at least warn me if I'm heading for a curb?

Obviously, Tesla vehicles currently don't have the hardware to sense curbs, but that's an interesting idea for a feature request. Seems like it could work for the front wheels, but not sure if steering could be safely adjusted enough to prevent rear wheels from hitting curb. Might need rear wheel steering for that.

And while we're at it, let's add a low front camera to prevent hitting front lip on those tall parking stops!

Obviously, Tesla vehicles currently don't have the hardware to sense curbs, but that's an interesting idea for a feature request. Seems like it could work for the front wheels, but not sure if steering could be safely adjusted enough to prevent rear wheels from hitting curb. Might need rear wheel steering for that.

And while we're at it, let's add a low front camera to prevent hitting front lip on those tall parking stops!
Guys
Show me a vehicle that detects curb rash and can also prevent, change your steering direction.

I think you guys having issues with curbs either need to accept it when it happens or have better spacing judgement when driving. Leave cushion for error. I can tell you i'm super careful and cognizant when driving and parking. I get the drive thru winding curbs and right handers when street turning. Take those slower and don't rush. 🤷‍♂️

another family guideline we all follow, 3x Ts, we call it "park away," at the mall, airport, anywhere, we park far away in the unpopular spots in order to avoid door dings, not the same, but talking vehicle protection

overall protections:

wide turns, park away, don't tail gate behind the next vehicle

I've managed to curb 3 out of my 4 Uberturbines in my 2+ years of driving the car. I've scraped a wheel 4 times total, with one of them getting hit twice. I knew the wheels do not have any protections from the tires so I blame myself for each instance. Luckily for me, I'm perfectly OK doing some ghetto touch up using some store bought paint, so it haven't really bothered me. Also, now that I have 3 sets of wheels, the Ubers are mounted maybe 3~4 months during the year, so that helps too.