Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y Lost Control!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is interesting and a little disconcerting.

After Service finished their analysis they said it was not the power steering module, but the fact that my wife and I are on the same Tesla app!
My wife and I both have Teslas (a Model S and a Model Y). Both of our cars are on the app on each of our phones. Per the Service rep, when my wife was driving her Y and experienced the loss of control, it was because I was viewing her car on the app on my phone?! He said that using the app was causing the Y to either go to sleep or wake up and that's why the car lost control.

While I find that a little difficult to believe, if it is true, then shouldn't Tesla be issuing some type of safety warning for those of us lucky (or stupid) enough to own two Teslas? You shouldn't use the app on the car you are not driving?

Not sure what our next step should be. Is there someway to contact Tesla HQ to see if this analysis is correct? Frustrated.
I'm shocked that a service center would come up with such a crazy explanation. Maybe try a different one if another is nearby?

That's exactly what happened (unless I'm making it up as some wackos would assert). She got control back before the curb.
Okay, the car didn't hit the curb, it swerved TOWARD the curb, and the driver "got control back" before the curb.

I agree with several others in this thread, that it's a hyperactive Lane Departure Avoidance and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance event, similar to an "phantom braking" incident, which has occurred thousands of times to many Tesla drivers over the past several year.

Okay, the car didn't hit the curb, it swerved TOWARD the curb, and the driver "got control back" before the curb.

I agree with several others in this thread, that it's a hyperactive Lane Departure Avoidance and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance event, similar to an "phantom braking" incident, which has occurred thousands of times to many Tesla drivers over the past several year.
Appreciate the response but two issues:
* Lane Departure Avoidance was turned off; and
* Wouldn't there be a history of such event in the logs? All they say they found was numerous instances of the steering module was not going to sleep properly.

* Wouldn't there be a history of such event in the logs? All they say they found was numerous instances of the steering module was not going to sleep properly.
This has happened to me before. The cameras see one thing and react to it. And sometimes they call it wrong. All you have to do is override the steering. It doesn’t take that much effort. if it makes you feel any better, I’ve had some of these safeties systems in my other car make mistakes also.

@Carlos Danger - it would be so easy to post the invoice from your service visit to counter the naysayers. Please do it!

Also, if the diagnosis is true, Tesla Service should be able to verify it from the logs, and NTHSA also. You should definitely report this, so it can get solved. Worst case something like this might end up explaining all SUA cases.

Reactions: rlsd
@Carlos Danger - it would be so easy to post the invoice from your service visit to counter the naysayers. Please do it!
See below. I just copied and pasted the diagnosis to avoid posting all my personal info. Also, we told them we are not running any third party apps.

Concern: Customer states: Something Else - The car steering inadvertently became impossible to steer and it also applied brakes with a warning. A second to R the steering became difficult although no brakes were applied
Could not verify customer concern on site. Looked at log data and there was no hard faults for steering. Only alert found was that the steering module was not going to sleep properly that can potentially cause issue. Found vehicle was not sleeping due to numerous unknown remote requests. If there are any 3rd party apps associated with VIN, recommend removing them and change password to Tesla account. Vehicle is operating as designed at this time.
Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Diagnosis: Unable to Replicate Concern

Reactions: towndrunk
There are two variations with the lane departure avoidance.
1. "Lane departure avoidance" which you can disable in settings and it stays off on every drive after that.
2. "Emergency lane departure avoidance" which can be turned off but is automatically re-enabled at the start of a new drive.

Sounds very much to me like a case of the latter, which can happen unexpectedly and sometimes it's not particularly apparent why.
ETA: now I'm aware there may be different behaviour on U.S cars on certain software, that may need checking!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pianewman
There are two variations with the lane departure avoidance.
1. "Lane departure avoidance" which you can disable in settings and it stays off on every drive after that.
2. "Emergency lane departure avoidance" which can be turned off but is automatically re-enabled at the start of a new drive.

Sounds very much to me like a case of the latter, which can happen unexpectedly and sometimes it's not particularly apparent why.
At least for my US car ELDA also stays off now on newer firmware again, but I don't know if it does for all US cars. I know it does not stay off for EU/UK cars.

• Informative
Reactions: Dangerous Fish
Regarding Autopilot and Autosteer disabled: When I don't engage FSD sometimes the car still jerks the wheel a little bit and moves the car away from the curbs at the 2 segments of the roads I travel daily and sometimes it show message "Take control immediately". There is nothing wrong with the roads. When FSD is engaged, the car behaves correctly at those segments. This happened more with the earlier software versions. The jerk was not so bad, just the wheel was a little bit stiff.

I think the ghosts of people who died of accidents at those spots scared the car if it's not a map problem. :)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Pianewman