Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why conceal your VIN?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, like most authentication, Tesla uses multi factored authentication. But as previously mentioned, if most of the other information Tesla would ask for can be bought on the dark web for $30, your VIN might be one of the more difficult to obtain items, as long as your username here is not Bob Jones VIN 123456.

Likely most of the information someone needs is on your insurance or registration in your glove box, unfortunately.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
So if someone is standing next to my car, they can use my VIN to call Tesla, pretend to be me, reset my password, hop in and drive off? Yikes. I would hope Tesla needs other identifying info than just a VIN.

That was my first thought. For the average person it may not be that easy. However if someone more tech-savvy were able to email Tesla using an owner's email address and VIN to request mobile access, it may be possible for that shady character to run off with your car.

An example is described here on another thread where an owner emailed Tesla requesting app access for their spouse. Apparently all they needed to do was provide Tesla with their VIN within their email request. If an owner's email and VIN match what is on record = access granted? Can't be that simple, can it?

Here's some detail regarding the information that is embedded in a Tesla VIN:

VIN Decoder | TeslaTap

An example is described here on another thread where an owner emailed Tesla requesting app access for their spouse. Apparently all they needed to do was provide Tesla with their VIN within their email request. If an owner's email and VIN match what is on record = access granted? Can't be that simple, can it?

Ah, very true. That is how my husband and I added our cars to each other's account. A simple email with the VIN.

I guess said hacker would have to have my e-mail address. Tesla probably needs an account PIN like OnStar does. No changes or unlocks without providing the PIN.

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888
One of the biggest reasons not to give out your full VIN specifically, as a Tesla owner, is that you use that information with Tesla to reset a password to remotely unlock and drive your car.

That make no senses There must be a LOT more info you give them to get them to unlock your car, otherwise I could just walk up to any Tesla, call the service number and read off the VIN to the vehicle to gain entry.

I think it's just anxiety of giving up something that is perceived as personal information.

FYI: It isn't. Anyone who walks up to your vehicle can get this data. In fact, we all put HUGE trust in Tesla, Apple, Google, etc.. So much trust that Trying to conceal your VIN is a non-issue in comparison.

As always, this is JMHO...

The real question is: why disclose it?

Well, I am very new to this forum and the world of Tesla ownership. I have been a MS owner for exactly 8 hours and 14 minutes (I took delivery of my car today, but I digress). However I can tell you that it has been useful on several occasions already in here to me personally. 2 big ones that come to mind is pinning down the MCU2 release date to figure out if mine would come with it (it did, :)) and estimating delivery dates for various new owners waiting for their cars.

Reactions: 68882
I think our Teslas are immune from the Vin scam for a few more years if not always due to their internet connectivity and Tesla's monitoring. Another minor red flag is if the car is from another state, and mileage needs to match up with carfax.

Necropost... wanted to mention though that I was just sent a message from someone claiming to "work with Tesla" and he wants my VIN in order to assist. If there's no value to obtaining our VINs, people wouldn't be asking. Perhaps he's legitimately a Tesla associate, but I'm doubtful. I asked him to post my forum name to tesla.com somewhere as proof.

Necropost... wanted to mention though that I was just sent a message from someone claiming to "work with Tesla" and he wants my VIN in order to assist. If there's no value to obtaining our VINs, people wouldn't be asking. Perhaps he's legitimately a Tesla associate, but I'm doubtful. I asked him to post my forum name to tesla.com somewhere as proof.
This happened to someone else recently and it was pretty easy to determine that the person representing themselves this way was in fact a Tesla employee legitimately trying to help with an issue.

The main reason to conceal the VIN is not the VIN information itself, but rather the association of your name to the VIN. If you live in the US, think why you don't want to give people your social security number - anyone can guess valid social security numbers, but the value is to have a name (and other personal information) associated with it.