Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you purchase a Model 3 and what were your other options?

Before you decided on a Model 3, what comparable vehicle were you comparing to?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I knew the Tesla 3 was well more advanced than the Bolt so my choice was between an EV and a PHEV. I looked at a Volt and was horrified by the complexity of the vehicle as far as maintenance needed. The GM dealer had their Bolts and Volts parked way out in the lot hidden away from view as they were pushing their largest ICE models in the showroom. It was obvious they were not interested in selling electric vehicles. I was hoping the GM dealer would cut me a good deal but all he could tell me was how expensive electric cars are. I left the dealer shaking my head in disappointment. Later that day I learned in the national news GM was discontinuing the Volt. The next day we headed over to the Tesla place and signed up to purchase the Tesla Model 3. We love the car and consider it one of our best decisions ever. We are old at over 70 years so this is likely our last car we will ever purchase.

Why would you not want one if you lived in CA? You do know that about half of US Model 3's are in CA, right?
Practically speaking: Living in Southern California with a couple kids and all their crap to haul around would require a vehicle with lots more space.

Personally speaking: the Model 3 is all about autonomy, but taking control of a vehicle on SoCal roads has a je ne sais quoi for me. Despite family or rental vehicles I drive having Adaptive Cruise Control, I never use them in SoCal.
I enjoy the driving experience in Southern California. The unplanned road trips, the weekend trips to Vegas, the jaunt up to the Bay Area to visit family: spontaneity would be a little difficult with the current Super Charger infrastructure and vehicle range.

Perhaps you're right in regards to TACC blowing the competition out of the water. Having never driven a Model 3 in SoCal, I might be convinced. But I doubt I would have even considered a small, "city" car in the first place.

Reactions: NeverFollow
I knew the Tesla 3 was well more advanced than the Bolt so my choice was between an EV and a PHEV. I looked at a Volt and was horrified by the complexity of the vehicle as far as maintenance needed. The GM dealer had their Bolts and Volts parked way out in the lot hidden away from view as they were pushing their largest ICE models in the showroom. It was obvious they were not interested in selling electric vehicles. I was hoping the GM dealer would cut me a good deal but all he could tell me was how expensive electric cars are. I left the dealer shaking my head in disappointment. Later that day I learned in the national news GM was discontinuing the Volt. The next day we headed over to the Tesla place and signed up to purchase the Tesla Model 3. We love the car and consider it one of our best decisions ever. We are old at over 70 years so this is likely our last car we will ever purchase.

As a former Volt owner (Leasee) for 3 years, I would disagree on the amount of maintenance needed. It is practically an EV with some limited maintenance on a 3 year period. I only had to change the cabin air filter and do 1 oil change for $30 (in 2 years) in the 33k miles/3 years I had it.

At the time, I was driving a 2011 Lexus IS250. I was looking for a new car and looked at the Lexus ES350 hybrid and the Toyota Camry hybrid. I didn’t have a reservation for the model 3 and I wasn’t going to buy one if I didn’t get the full tax credit. I ran into a friend that had just took delivery of their Model 3 and it only took them 3 weeks to take delivery! I test drove the model 3 that weekend and was hooked. Placed a deposit and took delivery 2 weeks later (Oct 2018).

Practically speaking: Living in Southern California with a couple kids and all their crap to haul around would require a vehicle with lots more space.

Personally speaking: the Model 3 is all about autonomy, but taking control of a vehicle on SoCal roads has a je ne sais quoi for me. Despite family or rental vehicles I drive having Adaptive Cruise Control, I never use them in SoCal.
I enjoy the driving experience in Southern California. The unplanned road trips, the weekend trips to Vegas, the jaunt up to the Bay Area to visit family: spontaneity would be a little difficult with the current Super Charger infrastructure and vehicle range.

Perhaps you're right in regards to TACC blowing the competition out of the water. Having never driven a Model 3 in SoCal, I might be convinced. But I doubt I would have even considered a small, "city" car in the first place.
Space is an issue that I cannot debate. The Model 3 is either big enough for the people and stuff you need to haul around or it isn't.

However, I will disagree with your next paragraph. The Model 3 is a joy to drive manually and EAP is there for when you want to use it. My wife is the primary driver and she chooses to never use it. She has a mental block on even trying it. That doesn't bother me at all. I will also disagree with you saying that unplanned trips to Vegas or the Bay Area are in any way difficult or inconvenient. I always disliked driving ICE cars between the Bay Area and LA, preferring to fly, and the trips we've taken in the Model 3 are the most enjoyable I've ever had. The TACC is a joy on I-5 and I arrive much more rested and less exhausted than I ever did before, even when significantly younger than I am now. The Supercharger network is now built out so much in CA that there is no infrastructure excuse any more.

Reactions: Dre78
The only other car I gave any real thought to was a BMW 4 series Gran Coupe, but there were a few things I didn't like about it and I had decided to just wait and see what BMW came out with in 2020 or 2021 (I heard rumors of a 2 series Gran Couple I was curious about). I then bought the Model 3 on a bit of a whim.