Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you purchase a Model 3 and what were your other options?

Before you decided on a Model 3, what comparable vehicle were you comparing to?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was coming from a 1999 Camaro Z28 convertible that I had bought new and taken care of but, with 289,000 miles on the odometer, it was showing wear and using oil. I had no experience or desire for an EV. I am an average 1 car owner and had never given a thought to aTesla as it had always been out of my price range.... Until the Model 3 event on March 31, 2016. I had heard about the event from someone at work and my wife and I watched it. With over 120,000 reservations before the car was even unvealed, it was impressive; comment to my wife was "We could be watching the start of the electric car revolution for the average consumer.". At 8:30am the next day, I put down my reservation thinking it is fully refundable if I change my mind. I started my research with Trev (thanks, Trev), Ryan McCaffrey, andTwitter. My research quickly expanded to other YouTubers and podcasters and others news outlets. I was not really an EV enthusiast, just a normal consumer trying to do good research to make a good decision. The Model 3 was the first new EV that I could afford that did not look like an electric vehicle. The torque was quicker and better than my old car and the tech, well there was nothing that I could compare the tech to within my price range. I weighed the perception that had been given to the range anxiety concerns and the battery life concerns with an educated mind and found the answer was in the planning of your trips. I had a Nema 14-50 plug installed at my house and 897 days after I put my reservation down I picked up my new Model 3. Since then it has been a great experience. So far I have had no software or hardware issues and no service needed for the car which is great as I have to visit another state to see aTesla Service Center or Gallery. My insurance is about the same as my old car, my home electricity is discounted because I own an EV and my daily drive to work and home is much more relaxing with AP. I feel that I was one of the untapped customer markets that Tesla was targeting with the Model 3. I am happy to be part of the Tesla Community.

Reactions: abasile and KDGr
I have wanted a Tesla since 2008 when the first Roadster came out, but it wasn't practical at the time. I figured if I had saved enough or the price came down enough, and a more practical model came out by the time I needed to replace my old car, I would get one. The timing of the Model 3 and me crashing my old car pretty much made the decision for me.

I was considering a used Caddie CTS-V or used Mercedes AMG. Had a deposit on a Tesla but was planning on getting deposit back and buying a used Tesla about two years from now. Test drove the M3 Performance in December and bought one 3 days later "off the truck" to get the tax rebate. I have been driving a Dodge Magnum SRT8 for the last 8 years. I used to think it was fast...

I've been following Tesla since 2007-08. My boss at the time was one of the first people to take delivery of a Roadster 1,0
I put the $1000 deposit down on March 31, 2016.
Got the email that I could order on 4/8/18. Thought about it at the time but didnt think it would work in the budget
After the Q3 ramp, started thinking about it again. cruncehd some numbers and realized our gas expense was about $400 a monht. wife has a 75 mile daily commute.

Was in a Tesla store on 12/23/18. decided to order as a spur of the moment decision

1. federal credit expiring on 12/31
2. carpool lane access
3. model 3 cost equivalent to ICE car payment + monthly gas cost.

I was comparing the Model 3 to my 2014 Sonata Hybrid Limited, which was a great car - except for the fact it still had an ICE. It did whet my appetite for going full EV, and that after driving pickup trucks for over 30 years.

I did not NEED a Model 3 (I had a great car), but I really WANTED it. Having two years to save up some $$$ (plus selling the hybrid when delivery time came due for the 3) made it a much less stressful purchase: purchase and delivery itself was best new car buying experience in my lifetime. The car over four months has been a blast to drive, has gone on over seven road trips, and has been very reliable. Has not been back to Tesla for anything in that time.

...and the fart app really appealed to my inner ten year old... :D

In 2015 (I think it was), Tesla brought some Model S cars to my local mall. My wife, daughter and I sat in one and was asked if we wanted to test drive one. We ended up test driving a P100D, got to try out the Ludicrous Mode, and I was hooked. At that moment, I knew my next car would be a Tesla. I was hooked. But I could not afford a model S. I said to the Tesla guy "If you made a $30K car you would have hundreds of thousands of people clamoring for them."

Needless to say, the first day the Model 3 was taking deposits (March 2016), I stood in line for hours to plunk down my $1000 (my boss had a Model X so he understood why I would be late to work). My friends thought I was nuts to wait so long for a car. But I did not care. I had an Acura 3.2TL with over 200K miles on it but it will still running fine and I was in no hurry.

In February 2018 I received the email that I could order my car. I had never spent so much on a car (my original idea was to buy a $35K car, not a $50K car) and so I was a little hesitant to order. On the other hand, I did not want to wait for the base model, and I wanted to take advantage of the Fed Tax Credit and California Rebate (which drove the price of the car into the low $40K's), and my wife was really the one who pushed me to do it.

Ordered it on my birthday and had the car under 2 weeks later.

Best car I have ever owned.
Cannot wait until the 'Y' comes out to buy for my wife.

Reactions: abasile
I had a 2006 IS350 with only 84K on it. As someone above mentioned, dead nuts reliable, decent gas mileage, and it leapt off the line chirping the tires on the 1-2 shift...(13.1 at 105 mph with no spare and lightweight forged wheels.) Got rear ended on the highway and it got totaled. Looked at the M2 and the G70, and the LC500. The former not really available unless you paid over MSRP The g70 was not available in the NW yet (not sure if it is, yet). The LC is gorgeous and handled very well but was gutless below ~4K rpm. Test drove the dual motor with the primacy tires and was impressed. Bought the PUP right after the test drive. No regrets. Will look at the IS again if they ever make an IS-F with some low end grunt.

I compared the Model 3 to nothing.

It's what I wanted.

Ever since Elon Musk unveiled & produced the REVOLUTIONARY Tesla S, I've been a huge fan!
Then, on March 31, 2016, the "affordable " Tesla 3 was revealed......I was stunned!

I was one of the original sight unseen reservation holders and decided to wait for my own TM3.
My Cadillac CTS would have to hold up.

Canadian reservation holders caught a HUGE break, when Elon decided to hold off on reaching the
200,000 US Tesla owners before the July 1st (2018) deadline.

Tesla opened up the order backlog to Canadians and over 18,000 lucky ones complied.
I joyfully received my Tesla 3 on June 6, 2018 (D-Day anniversary)

As they say, "The rest is history!"

Now, I'm perplexed with my next move.....
Tesla Y for my wife or refreshed Tesla S in 2021

I had a 2013 Prius. I was getting 58mpg hyper driving. A very good car, otherwise I never drove full-on EV. Followed Tesla for last 5 years, Model 3 allowed me to enter the market at my level.

The main force guiding my configuration: Acceleration and speed.

I looked at The M3P and just couldn’t see an additional $6-7k for a 0-60 3.5 sec, when I could have 0-60 in 4.5 in the mid $50’s. Sure, beefier brakes, bigger rims, yadda, yadda....but, a M3, DM, LR, midnight silver metallic and 18” rims was everything the Dr. ordered! Trust me, 1 sec is nothing to squirm over!

I’m not an auto pilot, self-driving fan. For me, it’s hands on the wheel, complete control over the experience!

The question you have to ask yourself is: what intrigues you most about this technology and then work it! Get what excites you most, then enjoy!

Ever since Elon Musk unveiled & produced the REVOLUTIONARY Tesla S, I've been a huge fan!
Then, on March 31, 2016, the "affordable " Tesla 3 was revealed......I was stunned!

I was one of the original sight unseen reservation holders and decided to wait for my own TM3.
My Cadillac CTS would have to hold up.

Canadian reservation holders caught a HUGE break, when Elon decided to hold off on reaching the
200,000 US Tesla owners before the July 1st (2018) deadline.

Tesla opened up the order backlog to Canadians and over 18,000 lucky ones complied.
I joyfully received my Tesla 3 on June 6, 2018 (D-Day anniversary)

As they say, "The rest is history!"

Now, I'm perplexed with my next move.....
Tesla Y for my wife or refreshed Tesla S in 2021

Correction: the $35k Model 3 was mentioned.

It wasn't revealed.

Chevy Bolt. I wanted an electric car and admired what Tesla was doing. I was a $35k hold out, but got tempted by the $45k MR ($50k after at I added EAP.. which is great by the way). I looked into inventory of Chevy Bolts in my area and could only find 3 within driving distance of my house without having to recharge. That discouraged me greatly for the Chevy Bolt and made the Model 3 seem more accessible (despite the irony of a wait list). I ordered in October and took delivery in December. I don't regret it at all. I'm very happy with my choice and would do it all over again. I love driving this car. I was out of town for a week and actually missed being home to drive it!

It's funny, I've owned two non-manual vehicles in my life (well, three now with the M3).
Each time I went into an auto car, I missed being able to shift.
Maybe because the auto transmission didn't do what I want, or shift as quickly, or whatever.

But in the M3 - no shifting :D:D:D I just hit it and go!

I'm a sick shift driver, but for many years my wife wanted we get an automatique.

(Kind of Pelosi versus Trump dialogue, regarding SOTU ... :) )

So the only solution was getting an EV!!!

$35k and range grabbed me. I was one of the first to pre-order. Once I learned that only the higher priced cars would be produced in time for the rebates, and I heard of issues with quality and batteries, I canceled that order. All along I was evaluating any and all existing and future production EV cars. Many with significantly less range were priced at or above the $35k number. The more I looked the more I realized that Tesla had nothing to compare. It wasn't till late October that I came to an epiphany. I never really wanted the base model anyway if I had my druthers. Always wanted the AWD long range. And the only time I could get my dream configuration including the tax break was now. So it was either wait for the $35k version which was not my dream car and didn't include the tax break or get my dream configuration with the break. Still cost me $60k out the door and did not include wheels, paint, or auto pilot. Hoping that with the credit, and selling my car and bike I can pay it off in a couple years. Love being able to charge at home. Drove a CNG for years and never had that. :) Ordered it October 31 and had it November 16, 2018. I live near the factory.

I'd prefer a European EV such as a Peugeot or even a Skoda or Volvo, especially if it were a station wagon or decent-sized hatch.
The problem is they are so far behind Tesla that I'll probably be too old to drive when they finally hit the market.
As it is I've waited 3 years for the Model 3 (in Europe) and more than 13 years since I bought my last car, which I said at the time would be my last ICE car.
I'm just so disappointed that the auto industry has taken so long to come to the party with reasonably priced, sensible cars.
Sure, if you are rich enough and want to drive a supercar there are some options, but for a family vehicle with decent range and good recharging infrastructure Tesla really has the market sown up, for now.

Reactions: NeverFollow
I just want a cheap Tesla and after running the numbers Model 3 seems to be the cheapest to own even compare to Prius.

I considered Prius prime. But that thing is so ugly.

My wife want SUV like any other women but I am driving 95% of the time so she doesn't really have to much to speak.

I started to read Tesla news to her everyday. She was sold after few month.

• Funny
I just want a cheap Tesla and after running the numbers Model 3 seems to be the cheapest to own even compare to Prius.

I considered Prius prime. But that thing is so ugly.

My wife want SUV like any other women but I am driving 95% of the time so she doesn't really have to much to speak.

I started to read Tesla news to her everyday. She was sold after few month.
Looks matters