Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do cars stay farther back behind my Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a P90DL loaner for almost a month and the brake lights on the screen's car are way easier to see. I'd say it's about right. On the 3 it's a lot harder but after a while you get used to it. I often look down while slowing in AP to see when they are coming on.

AP can definitely make it look like you're not paying attention as it doesn't adjust for traffic slowing ahead, just the car in front of you. So if that car changes lanes due to the driver noticing brake lights ahead, then you speed up a bit to close the gap only to have to brake. I could see that irritating people.

When not in AP, you can get a feel for where the sweet spot is when lifting off the throttle and minimize them turning on.

Could it be this? :p

download.jpg

Funny, I just had this noticeably happen the other day, I was on AP and it just phantom braked in their face and afterwards they were at least 2-3 car length away. I braked manually again when I was far enough away to try to show I was possibly a lost or bad driver and not an asshole brake checking lol.

• Helpful
Reactions: Leafdriver333
I fairly routinely change cars, and I haven't noticed anything.

I do wonder though when the general population will start treating Model 3's differently due to behaviors of NoA, or FSD (when it's released).

The behaviors I'm referring to.

Blinkers turning on while a car is right next to me or in my blind spot. Where NoA isn't smart enough to know the traffic isn't that bad, and just wait to a more appropriate time to turn on the signal. This usually results in me canceling it, but it still signaled. To other drivers it signals that I'm a clueless idiot.

Aborted lane changes which can be smart or dumb depending on the situation. So far with NoA I've had one intelligently aborted lane change (aborted it before moving over because the car in front sped up), and I've had one dumb one where it canceled mid-lane change for no apparent reason. Translation to other drivers - This guy is a nutcase.

Human/Machine interface issues where the human doesn't know what NoA is thinking, and takes over. Or NoA isn't detecting hands at the steering wheel and delays some action for way too long. In either case it ends up looking like I'm an idiot driver.

Slowing down during lane changes. Normal drivers allow the following distance to be a little less when merging behind someone, and then growing the distance where NoA will slow by a couple mph during the lane change. To other drivers - What is this idiot doing?

Phantom braking. For this one I fairly routinely notice a handful of extremely mild ones that don't really count, but at least 1 fairly moderate one every 500 miles or so on NoA. It used to happen fairly predictably, but lately I haven't noticed any reason.

Those are things that I notice while using NoA. The more I've used NoA the more I've seen how hit, and miss it is. i expect it to do bad in areas where maps are bad (due to construction), but there are some times where it is completely glitchy on areas/situations it should be perfectly fine with.

From a "how Model 3's are driven on the road" the only pattern I've seen is with turn-signals. It's clear that drivers of Model 3's have the same issues I have with the turn signals. I think mine is actually bad because there is very little tactile difference between brief, and full. So I get mode confused and and up fighting it.

All in all I think there is enough CRAZY that I could see a pattern of behavior developing in how people treat Model 3's, but I don't think it's taken hold yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Another data point I'll add. When I was getting serviced for wind noise, the service advisor drove my car and wanted to get it up to speed to reproduce the issue. However there was only one highway available and he would go 20mph for nearly 10 seconds on a 50-60mph road holding up traffic so he had enough of a run way. I bet this was not the first time and from the outside, it might look like some kid who got into their daddy's Tesla and is trying to have fun on the road.