Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does FSD hug the center line-- even sometimes crossing over?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only had beta for a bit over a month but this ongoing propensity for hugging the center line causes quite a bit of stress for both driver and passengers. I was wondering if others have the same issues? On occasion, the tires will vibrate as they go over the bumps on the yellow centerline stripe.

This would seem like a rather simple fix, so I was wondering if there's a design reason for this?

I've only had beta for a bit over a month but this ongoing propensity for hugging the center line causes quite a bit of stress for both driver and passengers. I was wondering if others have the same issues? On occasion, the tires will vibrate as they go over the bumps on the yellow centerline stripe.

This would seem like a rather simple fix, so I was wondering if there's a design reason for this?
This is not normal. It should lane center, just like AP does on the freeway. It will hug left or right in large, unmarked roads like residential streets. But if there are clear lane markers, it will stay centered. If it's not staying centered and is crossing lane lines, especially yellow lane markers, then something is out of spec on your car.

Try recalibrating your cameras. Make sure the car is clean. Then do this during the day, bright or overcast, doesn't matter, just not weather (rain, snow). Find a multi-lane freeway (preferably 3 lanes each way) that is well marked. Pull over just before the freeway entrance and put the car in Park. Go into Settings - Service - Camera Calibration and delete the current calibration. Once it's deleted, exit the settings and place the car in Drive.

Drive on the freeway, in the middle lane until the system recalibrates - it may take several miles to do so.

Once calibration is complete, there is a 2nd calibration for FSD that takes a few more miles. Once that is finished, pull off the freeway and park. Go into Settings - Autopilot, and set everything back up again. Recalibrating the cameras will shut off some settings.

Once your settings are set - reboot the car using the two thumb wheels. Once it's back up, give it a go and see if it holds the center of the lanes.

This is a long shot but:…
I discovered three months after delivery that there was a protective plastic film covering the pillar glass and cameras between front and rear doors that hadn’t been removed (it had started to peel off on its own at a corner). The film was like the protective film covering the operating screen when new.

After removing the film and cleaning the glass, I noticed fewer camera obscured faults (previously very common at night) and auto lane changes out of passing lane when on auto steer worked much better. And the car seems to lane center better around highway curves. I am still nervous on highway curves since auto steer doesn’t lean closer to the inside of the lane as I would prefer, but at least it doesn’t seem to be as lazy and frequently drifting towards the outside before film removal.

I find on some curves to the right, the car crosses the centerline. I’ve had this issue over two vehicles both on FSDb, and regular AutoSteer. The best lane centering was back on 2020.48.5 for me. Since then, I’ve noticed this issue.

Generally, what I saw is that on more aggressive turns on 2-lane rural highways, it does get closer or even go over the center line, but only when there's no opposing cars coming towards you. When a car comes towards me, it corrects itself towards center of the lane. Rarely I feel my car will hit the opposing car when FSD/AP is driving.

I personally do something similar when I drive - a bit more lazy in centering when I'm alone on both directions...

• Helpful
Reactions: chippwalters