Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Model 3 need CCS/CHAdeMO adapter? This is why.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

halfricanguy

Model 3 - LR RWD - MSM
Apr 18, 2018
NC, USA
I pulled up to the Savannah, GA Supercharger to a line of 3 cars ahead of me. 1 of 6 stalls were down, the rest taken. 30 minutes I get into a stall, and my charge rate maxed out at 17 kWh.

I called Tesla and they said they were aware of outages at that location and wouldn’t have someone out until January 4th. The nearest Supercharger was 100+ miles away and it would’ve taken me 1.5-2 hours to finish charging. Thank GOD it upped to 80 kWh after 20 min. I don’t even know if there are nearby CCS/CHAdeMO stations, but it would’ve been GREAT to have an alternative.

Reactions: Cowby
Why not just enable the Chademo adapter that Tesla already sells? Most non-Tesla charging stations support both.
CCS will soon outnumber Chademo in the US given that Electrify America strongly favors CCS and Nissan is the only manufacturer left that uses Chademo. Here's the Livermore, CA location - ten chargers, only one of which has a Chademo cable:

electrify-america-san-francisco-premium-outlets-12-4-2018-daytime-photo-jpg.360067

Don't CCS and ChaDeMo both require credit cards or some such? I have never heard they are free. Or is it you want charging somewhere Tesla isn't? Tesla has built so many chargers it's hard to believe anyone needs to use others. And with 330 mile range (320 on 3, 335 on new S) it's hard to believe most people will need charging at all. Tesla's future plans seem to blanket the US.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Don't CCS and ChaDeMo both require credit cards or some such? I have never heard they are free.
Tesla's superchargers are no longer free for new buyers either. Given the Model 3 production numbers, the early adopter cars eligible for permanent free charging will soon be a minority (or maybe already are?).
Or is it you want charging somewhere Tesla isn't? Tesla has built so many chargers it's hard to believe anyone needs to use others.
The superchargers are often full in the Bay Area and in the LA/San Diego metro areas. During peak travel times, many other locations along popular routes are also overcrowded. And as the top posting in this thread shows, other areas are starting to be affected as well

Don't CCS and ChaDeMo both require credit cards or some such? I have never heard they are free. Or is it you want charging somewhere Tesla isn't? Tesla has built so many chargers it's hard to believe anyone needs to use others. And with 330 mile range (320 on 3, 335 on new S) it's hard to believe most people will need charging at all. Tesla's future plans seem to blanket the US.
Earlier this month, I finally got some use out of the CHAdeMO adapter that we've owned for the past two years or so. It was quite handy to be able to fast charge in a town (Palmdale, CA) that lacks Tesla Superchargers. We were staying overnight and lacked the ability to charge at our accommodations. We needed a 90% charge on our Model S 85 before leaving town, as we were planning to caravan with a group the next day and wouldn't have time to stop at a Supercharger.

While this might have been a bit of a corner case, the point is that you never know when it might come in handy to be able to charge at a non-Tesla location.

On a somewhat related note, I'm in favor of using a Tesla Wall Connector at home so that the UMC (Universal Mobile Connector) can always stay in the car. We've had Tesla owners come to our house to charge (we're in PlugShare) because they forgot their UMC at home and found themselves unable to charge at their rented cabin up here in the mountains.

Or. OR... Tesla needs to go on a Supercharger building and expansion spree.
I completely agree with this too. I-95 is one of the most heavily traveled highways, yet there’s a 310 mile stretch between Jacksonville, FL and Florence, SC that only have 12 stalls between two stations and all had lines of 2-3 cars this weekend. Not as much as seen in California I’m sure, but still frustrating. Especially when there’s no one to help manage the line or limit charging time. Once you get north of Florence, they are more frequent and often have 10-20 stalls per station. I’ve haven’t had a problem traveling between NC and NY, but NC to FL proved difficult.

On another note, it looks like they finally changed all of their many “Target Opening 2018” stations on the Supercharger map to now say 2019.