Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Model 3 need CCS/CHAdeMO adapter? This is why.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@halfricanguy I completely agree the run between florence and jacksonville can be challenging. Many of the chargers along the way were built very early in the SC network and could use either an expansion or an additional stop along the way with a large amount of chargers like florence or fayetteville have. There is a tanger outlet off the same exit in savannah as the airport, seems like a perfect place to move the SCs to.

With a day to spare.

And there is someone to monitor the charging, it's the Idle Fee. Thought it would be nice if on the locations where they put 40 Minutes Max Charging if they would automatically stop the charge at that point so people know they mean it. Move on, next please

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7894.jpg

-Randy

Off topic: Not that it would apply in a lot of California but if you showed up in a 3 with a decently cold battery you aren't going to get a lot of charge in 40 minutes. I still hope they come out with the ability to flip on inefficient motor / warm your battery mode in the 3 so you can warm it up as you approach a supercharger.

Thought it would be nice if on the locations where they put 40 Minutes Max Charging if they would automatically stop the charge at that point so people know they mean it. Move on, next please
They should only do that if all Superchargers are taken. If there's no line, then there's no point in stopping people from charging. There are occasions when I have good reason to Supercharge for more than 40 minutes, generally because I'm about to drive somewhere with limited charging options such as a large national park or remote area. However, if a line were to form, the right thing to do would be to stop charging at 40 minutes and go to the back of the line for more charge.

I think 50 minutes max is reasonable. Yes you may need those extra 10-20 miles to get to your destination, but if there is a line of cars waiting that last 10% is going to take way too long to charge. Better to disconnect and let someone else charge instead. It's not fair to be hogging up a charger that is not being optimally used.

If you really do need those 10-20 miles, find a nearby level 2 charger and top up all you want. But super chargers are got charging FAST and that is not possible at the top of the battery.

I hate my paranoia, but w/o being able to tell if a Tesla is still charging I always figure they have gone to have lunch and will be back when they finish or after they buy that one thing more. I was at the San Ramon SpC last night and it was full with me at the back of the line and a 40 min sign, and yet the Dublin SpC just down the road with NO shopping 5 miles was E M P T Y

If the limit was not just a sign but your car actually stopping charging at that point I would feel better. Forty minutes is enough to get anyone to the next Supercharger, and that one won't be as busy as the one that has the posted 40 min max. I rarely charge for more than 15 minutes, I hate charging the top of the battery at a supercharger and I can go 150 miles on that quick charge.

I do see the 40-minute limit as a stop gap, the posted Superchargers are likely also the ones that are next to get more chargers or another Supercharger nearby. San Ramon actually had 4 ChargePoint chargers that were free-to-charge and empty. The limits also keep Unlimited Free Supercharging users from using them as parking spaces.

-Randy

Last edited:
Reactions: halfricanguy
If the limit was not just a sign but your car actually stopping charging at that point I would feel better. Forty minutes is enough to get anyone to the next Supercharger, and that one won't be as busy as the one that has the posted 40 min max.
Not everyone is going to the next supercharger, and not everyone lives in a state with the density of superchargers that California has.

OK. I am not getting your guys' point. So you are in a state that isn't California, sure I get that, are you experiencing issues charging your Tesla? Do you have Unlimited Free Supercharging? Is Tesla limiting your Supercharging time? Do you not get at least 60% charge in 40 min? Can you charge at home? Tell us more.

-Randy

I don't understand why ChAdeMo support has not been enabled on the Model 3 yet.. this is a no-brainer!

Tesla Model 3 engineering vehicles have been seen using CHAdeMo adapters even in my remote region of Atlantic Canada. Sometimes I wonder if Tesla has delayed CHAdeMo support for Model 3 simply because it wouldn't be fair to every other EV on the road currently sharing these fast charging stations. Unlike Tesla Supercharger locations with 8, 12 or more stalls many of these charging locations only have 1 or 2 CCS/CHAdeMo combo stations where you can't use the CCS and CHAdeMo cords simultaneously. Not that every Model 3 owner is going to buy the adapter but considering the rate new Model 3's are hitting the roads and that Tesla has their own proprietary fast charging network it seems to me like it would be a kick in the pants to non-Tesla EV owners to start finding Model 3's at the only place they can fast charge.

upload_2019-1-1_20-58-10.png

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and DR61
Tesla Model 3 engineering vehicles have been seen using CHAdeMo adapters even in my remote region of Atlantic Canada. Sometimes I wonder if Tesla has delayed CHAdeMo support for Model 3 simply because it wouldn't be fair to every other EV on the road currently sharing these fast charging stations. Unlike Tesla Supercharger locations with 8, 12 or more stalls many of these charging locations only have 1 or 2 CCS/CHAdeMo combo stations where you can't use the CCS and CHAdeMo cords simultaneously. Not that every Model 3 owner is going to buy the adapter but considering the rate new Model 3's are hitting the roads and that Tesla has their own proprietary fast charging network it seems to me like it would be a kick in the pants to non-Tesla EV owners to start finding Model 3's at the only place they can fast charge.
I doubt it. Granted, I'm not in an area with a high level of EV ownership, but almost every CCS and CHAdeMo station I've come across has been almost eternally empty.

OK. I am not getting your guys' point. So you are in a state that isn't California, sure I get that, are you experiencing issues charging your Tesla? Do you have Unlimited Free Supercharging? Is Tesla limiting your Supercharging time? Do you not get at least 60% charge in 40 min? Can you charge at home? Tell us more.

-Randy
I think @TexasEV is just pointing out that in most of the West and Plains states, the Superchargers are spread far apart and there aren't alternate nearby Superchargers to choose from and there might not be any Level 2 charging available along the route. Lots of travel is not on the interstates and if someone needs a full charge (even after fully charging at home), they might need to charge more than 40 minutes. Personally, I've done trips of 250 miles from SD heading south to southern Nebraska in an S90D. Had I been limited to only 40 minutes of charging at a Supercharger, I would've had to go west through Wyoming and add 180 miles to the trip (total of 430 miles) vs. charging a few minutes longer and driving the 250 miles directly.

Fortunately, the Superchargers in most of the West and Plains states aren't as congested as in California. I've only seen a "40 minute limit" sign once when someone posted a picture of the local Lone Tree Supercharger (which I've never used) over the holidays. During my travels, the only time I've seen full Superchargers was right after the eclipse in Nebraska in August 2017. I did see most of Superchargers in and around Denver were full yesterday...or at least that's what the app indicated. I guess lots of Model 3 owners with free Supercharger were probably out enjoying the holiday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H and SigNC
I doubt Tesla owners will abuse CCS or CHAdeMO as those stations cost a lot to use. A lot mor than SuperCharging and a whole lot more than at Home. On a related note I believe most of this stems from FREE SuperCharging which I am glad Tesla is getting away from.

I'm very curious as to the usage habits of people in California that have access to free unlimited supercharging but also have easy charging at home. I don't see how it can be worth anybody's time to go to a SC to save $5-10 when they could easily charge at home. However, people are really cheap :)

I'm very curious as to the usage habits of people in California that have access to free unlimited supercharging but also have easy charging at home. I don't see how it can be worth anybody's time to go to a SC to save $5-10 when they could easily charge at home. However, people are really cheap :)
Free makes many people do crazy things. Also electricity is a lot more money in CA so they are likely saving more.

Reactions: Cowby and adaptabl

I'm not in CA. I have access to free unlimited Supercharging. I can easily charge at home, and 9 out of 10 times, I do, since my employer hasn't embraced EVs other than setting aside 4 parking spaces that are usually taken up by Audis and Accords anyway.....

But the closest SpC to me happens to be located next to the grocery store chain we shop at. I do go there for electrons once a week, and before a big trip when I need to top off.

I hardly see it as an abuse. The SpC in question is never full, and I've only once seen it over 50%. The one time it was, I skipped charging that day and decided not to take up a stall.

However, in my area of N. Central MA, it's a very effective advertising tool. Everyone stops and stares at the Teslas............

Reactions: Cowby
I'm not in CA. I have access to free unlimited Supercharging. I can easily charge at home, and 9 out of 10 times, I do, since my employer hasn't embraced EVs other than setting aside 4 parking spaces that are usually taken up by Audis and Accords anyway.....

But the closest SpC to me happens to be located next to the grocery store chain we shop at. I do go there for electrons once a week, and before a big trip when I need to top off.

I hardly see it as an abuse. The SpC in question is never full, and I've only once seen it over 50%. The one time it was, I skipped charging that day and decided not to take up a stall.

However, in my area of N. Central MA, it's a very effective advertising tool. Everyone stops and stares at the Teslas............

Completely agree isn't not abuse in your scenario. However, in the scenario where stalls are full or even over half full I'd feel like a huge turd taking up a spot or slowing down somebody's charge that needed it to get from point A to point B.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out in other parts of the US as the number of teslas on the road by next years holiday season will be greatly increased. Hopefully the charging is as well.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Completely agree isn't not abuse in your scenario. However, in the scenario where stalls are full or even over half full I'd feel like a huge turd taking up a spot or slowing down somebody's charge that needed it to get from point A to point B.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out in other parts of the US as the number of teslas on the road by next years holiday season will be greatly increased. Hopefully the charging is as well.

My Christmas travels this year brought us as far south as Raleigh, NC. The only time we ran into any crowding issue was in Danbury, CT on our way home. I won't accuse the locals of hogging chargers, but of all the cars there, only 2 of us at that time had non-CT license plates....and then there was someone who decided to ICE a stall in their Porsche Cayenne. The passenger gave me a dirty look as I shook my head disapprovingly at them.

This was our 2nd annual Tesla-powered Christmas trip, and it was noticeably more "3 heavy" than last year (when they were still rare on the East Coast).

We're traveling to Chincoteague, VA in July, and I expect to see even more 3's on the road for that trip, especially if the Standard Range is available by then.