Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does my Powerwall Export at 100% FULL rate during peak?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My house only uses 1.0 kW at any given time (when away in vacation, running air purifiers, etc)

Why does my Powerwall system export at FULL 5.5kW @ 100% till its depleted? Its been doing that for over 3 months now. Even when I'm not home. Peak is at 4pm

System 1:

- Tesla SolarEdge 7600 inverter
- 1x Tesla Powerwall 2.0 + Gateway 1.0

System 2 (just installed, separate system to the main panel. Not touching the battery)
- SolarEdge 10k inverter

System Overview:
  • Main panel 150amps (derated)
    • Subpanel 1 (backup panel) .
      • Tesla Solar w. SolarEdge 7600
      • Tesla Gateway 1.0 + Powerwall 2.0 (only 1 pw)
    • Subpanel 2 (secondary solar system)
      • SolarEdge 10,000

Screenshot 2023-08-07 154313.jpg

Screenshot 2023-08-07 154316.jpg

Screenshot 2023-08-07 154309.jpg

Attachments

• snapshjot pw.jpg
    snapshjot pw.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 94
not on VPP so it isn’t that.

I wonder if it has to do anything with the CT clamps?

In my original Solar w Powerwall setup, it was just the main panel and backup panel.

When adding a new solar panel system to a new sun feeding to the main, wondering if the power flow is messing with the CTs.

If so, does that influence the Powerwall gateway logic?

Upvote 0
not on VPP so it isn’t that.

I wonder if it has to do anything with the CT clamps?

In my original Solar w Powerwall setup, it was just the main panel and backup panel.

When adding a new solar panel system to a new sun feeding to the main, wondering if the power flow is messing with the CTs.

If so, does that influence the Powerwall gateway logic?

That seems likely. The Powerwall graph should be accurate, because it uses built-in monitoring. What are the solar and grid graphs showing? Those are based on CT readings. The home graph is derived from solar & grid, and if the numbers are off that could certainly affect Powerwall discharge behavior.

Upvote 0
Attached is my Solar Graph (nice sunshine today) and Grid.

The last image is showing my Home Assistant and how much I'm pulling from the grid. Tesla and Emporia show different usages.
- Tesla App is showing 1.3kW pulling from the grid.
- My meter (Emporia) is showing 2.06 kW pulling from the grid

Some things are messed up:
- My meter (Emporia VUE) is directly hooked up to my utility provider. Assuming this is accurate unless there was some calibration that was incorrect
- I'm going to check my meter tomorrow to see if the Tesla CT clamps are hooked on to my mains, which it should correct?
- This has happened since May of this year.

IMG_8458.PNG
IMG_8459.PNG
Screenshot 2023-08-07 225941.jpg
2023 Tesla Monitoring Diagram.png

Attachments

• IMG_8457.PNG
    IMG_8457.PNG
    308.5 KB · Views: 39
Upvote 0
What is your setting for "Energy Exports" assuming you have the setting available?

Do you happen to have it set to "everything"?

Upvote 0
The screenshot above shows exports are set to solar only.

The solar graph looks correct to me. The grid graph shows 0 exported energy, which seems odd. I assume that's inconsistent with your Emporia data? You could also look at your utility meter to confirm -- once the powerwall is fully charged, Tesla solar is producing, and your home consumption is reasonable, you'd expect some grid export (negative power reading on the meter). If the data in the app doesn't show any grid exports at that point, the grid CTs are probably not set up correctly.

Upvote 0
What is your setting for "Energy Exports" assuming you have the setting available?

Do you happen to have it set to "everything"?

BTW since I'm in a Sunrun VPP, the system ignores what my setting is, and acts as if it's "Everything" no matter what I do. So it seems the app isn't actually directly responsible for controlling what the Powerwalls do. Nitro may need someone at Tesla Support to confirm what export setting is in effect for his Gateway.

I just hope max exports from the batteries 2 hours each day doesn't degrade them heh. Not sure if this is worth $750 plus peak time NEM credits that I may never get to use. Instead of Model X now we just burn gas because ICE is better than BEV.

Upvote 0

The solar graph looks correct to me. The grid graph shows 0 exported energy, which seems odd. I assume that's inconsistent with your Emporia data? You could also look at your utility meter to confirm -- once the powerwall is fully charged, Tesla solar is producing, and your home consumption is reasonable, you'd expect some grid export (negative power reading on the meter). If the data in the app doesn't show any grid exports at that point, the grid CTs are probably not set up correctly.
Ah, missed screenshot that had this covered.

Good observation that the Powerwall flow shows all the energy going to "home" loads.

Did I miss the screenshot for Tesla app showing the home load?

Upvote 0
Unfortunately tesla support is non existent. I have been waiting for tier 2 support for 3 weeks now.

Tesla app shows 100% powerwall feeding to the HOME (i.e. 5.5kW at 4pm to HOME).
BUT When I check Emporia at the meter, it is showing that exact same energy being exported to the grid (5.5kW at 4pm to GRID). That is why it is showing 0 exported to grid when in fact it is being sent to my home to the grid which is weird.

I should see export to the grid, but I'm not seeing it at all. It is instead sending to home, which then sends to my grid.

CT clamps [images below]
1,2 on main utility feed to main panel (assuming monitoring entire load)
3,4 on existing Tesla solar system
No CT on secondary Solar system that connects to the main as it was installed after the Powerwall + Tesla Solar.

Question:
1. I heard the phase matters so which clamps are being used is important. I.e. 1<>2 or 3<>4?
2. For solar, a single phase is ok to monitor so a single CT clamp. Could I theoretically use the one of the 3<>4 CT for the new solar system?

Screenshot 2023-08-08 121409.jpg
All 4 CTs being used

1,2 --> Main meter
3,4 --> Tesla Solar
none --> secondary solar system installed later
Screenshot 2023-08-08 121435.jpg
CT 1,2 on main feed
(I know, old panel. We will be getting SPAN soon)
Screenshot 2023-08-08 121429.jpg
CT 3,4 on Tesla Solar
Screenshot 2023-08-08 121405.jpg
Rest of Gateway 1.0 if this helps at all.

Upvote 0
Question:
1. I heard the phase matters so which clamps are being used is important. I.e. 1<>2 or 3<>4?
2. For solar, a single phase is ok to monitor so a single CT clamp. Could I theoretically use the one of the 3<>4 CT for the new solar system?
Yes, you could use #4 for the second solar system, but both #3 and #4 would have to be set to 2X in the configuration so the reading is doubled.

Or you could run the new solar system wires through the #3 and #4 CT to measure the new solar with the existing solar. Two wires on the same phase and going the same direction through a CT will be added together.

Reactions: aesculus
Upvote 0
I think to diagnose this further, you'd need to see what the CTs (particularly 1/2) are actually reporting and how they are configured. This would require connecting to the gateway directly and inspecting the API, e.g. for grid measurements:
Some folks have also used the Tesla Pros app to get the data.

There are a few similar threads, e.g.:

Ultimately the installer will probably have to fix this, but it helps to be armed with information when escalating the issue and getting them to fix it properly.

Upvote 0
BTW since I'm in a Sunrun VPP, the system ignores what my setting is, and acts as if it's "Everything" no matter what I do. So it seems the app isn't actually directly responsible for controlling what the Powerwalls do.
Actually according to a screenshot you posted earlier you are with Sunrun Peak Power Rewards, which is a very different program.

The Press Release says this
Enrolled battery systems will be directed to discharge every day from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. during the months of August through October
And that is exactly what you have been saying your Powerwalls are doing. You get the $750, a smart thermostat ($100?) and the Peak credits for what is exported to the grid, net of what you might also import from the grid if your Powerwalls discharge before the end of Peak.

The press release uses VPP in a number of places, but this isn't under the VPP rules and instead is under "Energy Efficiency Actions to Enhance Summer 2022 and 2023 Electric Reliability" rules. Sunrun is getting $10.525M to run this for 7,500 customers. It costs them $6.375M (7,500*($750+$100)) and nets them $4.15M. Nothing wrong with companies making money, but that is a pretty nice gross margin.

Upvote 0
Actually according to a screenshot you posted earlier you are with Sunrun Peak Power Rewards, which is a very different program.

The Press Release says this

And that is exactly what you have been saying your Powerwalls are doing. You get the $750, a smart thermostat ($100?) and the Peak credits for what is exported to the grid, net of what you might also import from the grid if your Powerwalls discharge before the end of Peak.

The press release uses VPP in a number of places, but this isn't under the VPP rules and instead is under "Energy Efficiency Actions to Enhance Summer 2022 and 2023 Electric Reliability" rules. Sunrun is getting $10.525M to run this for 7,500 customers. It costs them $6.375M (7,500*($750+$100)) and nets them $4.15M. Nothing wrong with companies making money, but that is a pretty nice gross margin.

Yeah I just wish I knew how I got signed up for this lol. Once I can figure out what my NEM true up is trending toward in Q1 next year… I’m going to invite some neighbors to do some free EV charging.

J1772 ftw

Upvote 0
So looks like anything in the tesla app sending to HOME is actually sending back to my grid. So my theory is something is wrong with CT1 or CT2

Any suggestions how to test these CTs myself without Tesla? They are extremely unhelpful and backlogged. It has been 3 weeks, multiple phone calls, emails, and i have spent at least 7 hours with them (on hold) and nobody is sending me to Tier 2 support as they are "busy". This is ridiculous.

I think to diagnose this further, you'd need to see what the CTs (particularly 1/2) are actually reporting and how they are configured. This would require connecting to the gateway directly and inspecting the API, e.g. for grid measurements:
Some folks have also used the Tesla Pros app to get the data.

There are a few similar threads, e.g.:

Ultimately the installer will probably have to fix this, but it helps to be armed with information when escalating the issue and getting them to fix it properly.

Ah, missed screenshot that had this covered.

Good observation that the Powerwall flow shows all the energy going to "home" loads.

Did I miss the screenshot for Tesla app showing the home load?

Added more details in regards to the home load and CT 1 and 2

1691531767947.png
1691531745076.png
Default CT 1 and 2 Inserted
Total export to grid is -11.5k
1691531800022.png
Tesla is showing 6.6kW to the home which is incorrect. See next image

In fact, I believe this energy is being mostly export to GRID
1691531835208.png
THIS IS CORRECT

Home is actually only using 1.35kW

12.73 Solar = 5.4kW Tesla + 7.3kW Secondary Solar

Most of Tesla Solar is actually being export to GRID
1691531944821.png
1691531953074.png
CT 1 removed. No change in house net export
1691531998341.png
Tesla app now correctly shows the export to the GRID
1691532017158.png
Nothing changed here. This is still correct

Attachments

• 1691532080883.png
    1691532080883.png
    131.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 1691532066071.png
    1691532066071.png
    184.1 KB · Views: 44
Upvote 0
It's probably a configuration error in the Gateway for CT #1 & #2. You'll need to have your installer come back and check the settings. CTs can be assigned to different functions (Site, Grid, Solar) as well as being set to 2X readings, so if they're configured wrong, the app will show incorrect flows.

Reactions: aesculus
Upvote 0