Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Tesla not use 4680s on the Model S, And is it the same reason on why the Plaid+ was cancelled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not consider Tesla predictions for future products as lies, but as rolling out their plans and objectives.
Many of these predictions are for products that do not exist yet, but expectations of an optimistic leader.
The case could be made that if Elon was not optimistic in nature, all these inventions would never come off the drawing board.
There would be no Tesla, SpaceX, boring company, PayPal, XAi, Starlink, NeuralLink, FSD, Hyperloop, Optimus, etc.
The projections often come about...eventually, but rarely perform has hoped, right out of the blocks.
Inventing the future is hard, and fraught with perils...Show me another man that has done more...Better.

It sounds Plaid+ got the same range problem with 4680 Model Y and Cyberbeast.

It's predicted to be 520 miles.

Well, they probably guessed from the data on the battery day?

With NCA chemistry (not the lower dense NMC used now) we could expect the battery to hold 80/65 = 23% more energy, as the cell is 15mm higher. Probably it would eat about 15 mm of the clearance under the car as well.
The increased density from larger cells with less shell material might increase it slightly but hte most probably would be a higher loss inside the case as larger diameter cells looses more capacity to unused space in the outer perimeter.

So, 23% on the 396 gives us 487.

But as far as I know they use NMC and do not reach the same energy density. Today I would not tunr my head for a 4680 S.

Wouldnt the only solution be Solid state batteries? For example look at ONE (Our Next Energy) Range test on a Legacy Tesla Model S. But the question is how is the cooling, charging time and Performance if Elon Musk wanted to fit it on a Model S Plaid
ONE did a demo run on a Tesla, so its range is real

Tesla Model S Goes 752 Miles with a Prototype Battery from a Michigan Startup

but the problem is mass production.

It works well with BMW for 608.1 mile demo drive but it is uncertain when BMW will put it in production:

Chinese Nio ET7 demo drive was more than 650 miles with 3% remained (spent 14 hours with rest stops but no additional charging). It is now on sales in China. Its problem is it's not on sales in the US.

On the other hand, there have been no demo run on Tesla 4680 that can be over 500 miles. Only theoretical predictions.

Last edited: