Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Tesla website trick people....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am 6'2" 19 lbs. and have sat in the third row of an X. I just fit. I could sit there for a short drive. The 3rd row seats will fit many adults, but not all.
I responded to posts #12 & #14. We are talking about the S child seats.

"According to that logic they should call the Model S a 5+2 seater (which mine is of course!)."

Last edited:
The wording on the number of passengers could be improved, but to be completely accurate, it would be a more complicated listing.

The Model S is "5 adults plus optional seating for additional 2 children".

The Model X is "5 adults plus optional seating for additional 2 adults".

What Tesla is saying is technically correct though. The Model S is designed for 5 adults and the Model X is designed for 7 adults.

And since you can quickly see the seating options from the order pages on the Model S and X, this doesn't appear to be an example of Tesla trying to mislead anyone - more likely trying to keep the page text simple.

However, featuring the "cost after estimated savings" has been a longstanding complaint - because Tesla has factored into that savings items such as tax rebates, fuel savings - and for a while, they even included an estimate of the value of the time you would save by not having to stop and wait at a gas station for refueling the car.

At least they've improved this now - to only include gas savings & potential tax rebates and it's much easier today to get the actual list price of the car.

I challenge you to cite a single example of a product advertised on the internet for more than $10,000 that includes tax in its quoted price. I believe I could even say $1000, but let's stick with $10,000, which is still a fraction of the price of the cheapest Tesla.

At any price really. It would be virtually impossible to do. There are over 9000 individual sales tax districts in the U.S. alone, with laws that change on an almost daily basis.

I own an e-commerce website and the tax calculation for our product is so complicated we can't even show it to you when you check out (in my defense, DropBox doesn't either, for the same reason - it just says "$99 per year plus applicable taxes").

Automobiles have an extra challenge in that the sales tax you pay is dependent on the trade-in value of your car. So probably about half of all cars sold the amount of tax will differ on a person-to-person basis.

I am 6'2" 19 lbs
Sigh...I really have to spend more time proofreading my posts these days... :confused:

190 lbs.
I had the pleasure of meeting @ecarfan this weekend. Until the windstorm at the Gigafactory blew him away...
Yep, I was hanging on to one of the event tent poles during the storm and then suddenly I found myself high above the Gigafactory looking down on the site. It was awesome.

The only product that I can think of that already includes tax in the price is gas. Even with gas the rules and rates are different by each state.

Sales Tax can be ultra difficult. In a two mile radius of my house there can 6 different rates and fees that people will pay for a car.

It is called marketing. Tesla has to get the hook into prospective customers. Their website teases us with a price that is net of the federal tax credit and gasoline savings. Once we start configuring and seeing how much various options cost, we begin (in my opinion) a subconscious approach as to whether we can swing a purchase or lease. Taxes are dependent on many factors including delivery location and owner residence. For Tesla to calculate taxes and registration and include it on their price page would be impossible.

This type of marketing is no different from many forms of product advertising that we see today. How many times do we see clearly displayed on food containers "gluten-free," or "no trans fats" on products that would never in a million years contain wheat or partially hydrogenated vegetable oil? Or the classic, "NEW and IMPROVED!" on a product that has been around since the '20s.

Just take the information for what it is. Tesla is trying to sell you a car--any car. Whether you opt for every bell and whistle, or just buy a base model, they want that sale.

The only product that I can think of that already includes tax in the price is gas. Even with gas the rules and rates are different by each state.

Prices are normally before tax, because very often the cost of items vary, but they can include taxes. But inclusive seems to be more common where there are lots of out-of-staters.

The only good tax thing about Maine is the lack of variation: sales tax and consumption taxes are state-wide. Property tax is the thing that municipalities vary, although I think one city's wanting to do local sales taxes.

I find the "Destination & Doc Fee" (+ $1,200) more misleading on the Cash tab since it's placed above the total price. You have to click that to get it added to the total. The placement makes it seem like it's already included in the total.

//TB

i dont think its honest marketing from Tesla.
I go to their website and click on "Order Yours" button then it shows a pop-up window with
Model-S seats 5 adults
Model-X seats 7 adults

so far so good ...but when you actually go to order Model-X its only 5 seats by default and you gotta pay $4k for 7 seats...why ? why would you then say seats 7 in the home page when its a paid option to get 7 seats ?

Same with their new CPO/inventory site i got today Buy a new Tesla today | Tesla
I look at the prices and realize that a inventory Model S 70 with better options than what i chose for my Model S60 (still waiting on production) is cheaper. I see several other vehicles fall in same cheaper price range than my Model S60. I then realize the just above the buy button it shows cash price before ev incentives. They are so eager to tell you the price after EV incentive and mainly market the post EV incentive number but they dont ever tell you about TAX. Until you ask you wouldnt realize the price is before tax. Doesnt even mention on the site the price is before taxes. Dont even have an option to calculate TAX on their website even for someone trying to figure out on road price.

I am a Tesla fan but this kind of gimmick can make many individual disappointed when the realize on road price. Specially for someone that stretched their purchase budget for this wonderful car.

Its already very expensive car and why not be honest about the details.

I think Tesla's pricing is relatively straightforward, and far better than you'd get at a dealership. You just have to look at the details and all of the options when you go to configure the vehicle you want. Also, there are the three tabs (Lease, Loan and Cash) on the right that you can switch between to get a better estimate of the costs while configuring your vehicle.

It's perfectly understandable that CPO versus new may see big cost differences favoring the CPO option. Some people need to have a new vehicle (e.g. if they can't find a CPO with the options that they want), so they choose to go the new route instead, but at a higher price point. The comment another member made about taxes is good too, since they vary by region.