Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why doesn't the charging port unlock?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

iwannam3

Aug 8, 2016
Washington
I walk up to the car with my phone, the charging cable button won't open the charge door. But if I reach over and open the trunk by the latch, I can then open the charging door with the charger button. Why is there more security on the charging port than the trunk? It seems like opening the charge port with a charge cable should work even in a locked car.

Reactions: wenkan
I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to unlock the charge port to remove the UMC from the car. With my old Model S I would simply hold down the rear button on the keyfob, and the cable would release, allowing me to pull it out.

But what is the easiest way to do this with the Model 3? Do I really have to open one of the car doors before I can pull out the charger?

I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to unlock the charge port to remove the UMC from the car. With my old Model S I would simply hold down the rear button on the keyfob, and the cable would release, allowing me to pull it out.

But what is the easiest way to do this with the Model 3? Do I really have to open one of the car doors before I can pull out the charger?
Usually a 1/2 push on the pasenger handle does it. You don’t have to open the door.

Reactions: JPUConn
When the car is locked, and I open the trunk (with the phone in my pocket), I cannot open the charge port by pushing on the lid.
I have to open one of the doors to be able to open the charge port, or I have to do it with the App.
This sounds unlogical to me. When the trunk is open, I should be able to push on the charge port lid to open it.
Agree?

Generally this isn't a problem. If it's charging, it's awake. If it's not charging, mine TYPICALLY unlocks the port and you can just pull it out (it won't close the charge port door though when you do that. Perhaps it only does the unlock when not charging when cold. Not sure. I don't find it a big deal either way.

• Disagree
Reactions: wenkan
Generally this isn't a problem. If it's charging, it's awake. If it's not charging, mine TYPICALLY unlocks the port and you can just pull it out (it won't close the charge port door though when you do that. Perhaps it only does the unlock when not charging when cold. Not sure. I don't find it a big deal either way.
Your must work different than most of them then. Sounds like you might have a bug that is actually a feature? What part do I need to remove to get this functionality! Since I charge overnight it's always not charging when I try to unplug it.

@ryanakata, that IS a nice workaround, but why doesn't the touch-to-unlock-charge-port work when I have my trunk open? I even hear the charging port make the soft ticking sound, showing it is active, but it will not open before I touch one of the doors.
See here what it says in the users manual:
Open charge port - users manual.png

(The authenticated phone is in my pocket)

@ryanakata, that IS a nice workaround, but why doesn't the touch-to-unlock-charge-port work when I have my trunk open? I even hear the charging port make the soft ticking sound, showing it is active, but it will not open before I touch one of the doors.
See here what it says in the users manual:
View attachment 390557
(The authenticated phone is in my pocket)
This works for me, did the chip fall out of your charge port door? I typically hit the button on the charging plug though.

I only have problems removing the charge port cable.

Last edited:
A nudge on the rear door handle also works.
It does.... and then you wait.... and then finally you can get the port door open.

Usually a 1/2 push on the pasenger handle does it. You don’t have to open the door.
Right... and then wait....

Your must work different than most of them then. Sounds like you might have a bug that is actually a feature? What part do I need to remove to get this functionality! Since I charge overnight it's always not charging when I try to unplug it.
It is ALL about the timing, as far as I can tell. And naturally even the timing is not consistent. All depends on when the car was last awake... could be you woke it, or it woke itself. If asleep, you've gotta open or partially open something else... and then wait a bit.

I just push my rear door handle in about halfway to not trigger the open but it does wake the car up and allows an unlock.
Yup... and then you wait...

It isn't like you can nudge the door handle and then immediately pop open the charge port. This should be so simple, and yet... as others have pointed out, the security of that charge port seems higher than the doors and trunk!

When I approach my car with phone in pocket, the doors and trunk will open for me about 95% of the time. Yet when I do the same thing and wish to access my charge port, it opens about 10% of the time... and when it does I always do a little dance and pretend like it is finally fixed! Then the next time rolls around....

Didn't the initial software builds that had auto proximity unlock work? Then they had to get rid of that because it was causing so many problems with people who were near their cars while inside their house. My theory is that they can't detect the charge cable button when the car is asleep. Now they probably don't want to fix the hardware because then everyone would demand an upgrade. It would be nice if they just allowed you to have the charge port unlocked when it's not in use. I'm not really worried about people unplugging my car.

Didn't the initial software builds that had auto proximity unlock work? Then they had to get rid of that because it was causing so many problems with people who were near their cars while inside their house. My theory is that they can't detect the charge cable button when the car is asleep. Now they probably don't want to fix the hardware because then everyone would demand an upgrade. It would be nice if they just allowed you to have the charge port unlocked when it's not in use. I'm not really worried about people unplugging my car.
I vaguely remember something about that, but can't recall the details.

For my money, I'd at least like a geo-fenced "stay unlocked" that I could use at home, in my locked garage. I'm in and out of the car often, and the locked charge port thing drives me nuts. I don't need the mirrors to unfold, the HVAC to come on, the music to play... .just so I can grab my hat out of the back seat. All these super-automatic things that happen when I open the door that I don't want to happen.... yet the thing I *do* want to automatically happen, stays locked tight.

I'm with you. I'd rather have the port NEVER lock, then deal with this twice per day. My daily situation involves charging only in my garage. Port locking totally not needed.

I vaguely remember something about that, but can't recall the details.

For my money, I'd at least like a geo-fenced "stay unlocked" that I could use at home, in my locked garage. I'm in and out of the car often, and the locked charge port thing drives me nuts. I don't need the mirrors to unfold, the HVAC to come on, the music to play... .just so I can grab my hat out of the back seat. All these super-automatic things that happen when I open the door that I don't want to happen.... yet the thing I *do* want to automatically happen, stays locked tight.

I'm with you. I'd rather have the port NEVER lock, then deal with this twice per day. My daily situation involves charging only in my garage. Port locking totally not needed.
Haha. Every time you open the door you use a few hundred watt-hours of energy. Name another car that can do that.
I'm fine with it waiting until my butt is in the seat to do all that stuff. I'm fine with it always leaving the charge port unlocked when the cars is not charging.