Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why don't portable, emergency 10KWh chargers exist yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you run out of battery, it would be nice it AAA or other services had an emergency charger to give you the extra 30-50 miles to get you to a real charging station. I think 10-20KWh would often be enough. And DC charging from battery to battery should be very fast and pretty simple. It could have a CHAdeMO & Tesla adapter. Why doesn't this exist yet?

Portable, truck mounted welders typically consist of a generator and an arc welder (powered by the generator). I've seen these generators with 14-50 outlets. I realize there is a bit more to electricity than volts and amps, but I wonder if you could plug into the generator for a bit of charge. But one drawback is how long the truck would have to sit there with you for even 20-30 miles of added range.

Portable, truck mounted welders typically consist of a generator and an arc welder (powered by the generator). I've seen these generators with 14-50 outlets. I realize there is a bit more to electricity than volts and amps, but I wonder if you could plug into the generator for a bit of charge. But one drawback is how long the truck would have to sit there with you for even 20-30 miles of added range.

The pro move would be for them to have those on the tow trucks and give you a charge on the way to the charging station that they're towing you to.

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
Doesn't Tesla have mobile chargers to supplement supercharged when they're clogged.

Using battery specs of Panasonic cells used in Teslas, 10kwh capacity would be around 50kg, plus controls, packaging, etc, maybe 100kg total.

The powerwall holds 13kwh and weighs 100kg or so. It's not the largest or heaviest thing to carry around

Reactions: cstork
It's efficient for the Model 3; the Raptor is trying to drag a car with its brakes on.
Yeah but they ran the numbers and even though it's wildly inefficient for the Raptor, the overall efficiency of both vehicles combined with Raptor pulling a reluctant/charging Model 3 then sending the Model 3 out on its own is actually better than the Raptor alone driving normally, due to the ridiculous efficiency of the Model 3 by comparison.