Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

why electronic door locks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
does anyone know why model 3 have electronic door locks instead of normal mechanical door lock? i don't see any benefit to it being electronic and it's less safe because it needs electricity to operate. i know there's backup battery in case something goes wrong but seems unnecessary risk and complex.

9A0816A9-4CA2-47C4-8BA0-EC5934BAD95B.jpeg

I think it is because outside of an emergency the windows are slightly lowered just before the door unlatches, and they are of course electric. It makes sense to let the system handle this so that the window part is complete before the door can be opened.

does anyone know why model 3 have electronic door locks instead of normal mechanical door lock? i don't see any benefit to it being electronic and it's less safe because it needs electricity to operate. i know there's backup battery in case something goes wrong but seems unnecessary risk and complex.

As stevegu said, the frameless window design is the primary reason. To prevent excessive wear on the window seals, the electronic push button causes the window to lower a fraction of a second before the door is released, so the window doesn't bind and scrape against the seals.

The front doors are provided with the emergency release that mechanically unlatches the door, at the expense of the seals. It won't damage them if done infrequently, like when a passenger mistakenly uses the emegency release rather than the button.

The rear doors have an emergency release also, but they are very inconvenient to get to. They are cables that are located under the front lip of the rear seat. You have to dig in there to find them and fish them out, then pull towards the center of the car to unlatch the door.

• Informative
Reactions: mrau
My 2001 Dodge Viper with an 8L V10 that got negative miles to the gallon also had electronic door latches with a manual emergency release, so it’s not like Tesla invented anything here that wasn’t being used in production 20 years ago.

I didn’t die then from those door latches, and I don’t expect to die now from them.

To prevent excessive wear on the window seals, the electronic push button causes the window to lower a fraction of a second before the door is released, so the window doesn't bind and scrape against the seals.

There's no danger of scraping the seals (the rubber part.) There's a danger of scraping the exterior trim (the hard part above the window.)

Also, when opening or closing a door against seals, the air pressure makes it slightly harder to close all the way, so the door latches more easily if the window is down a touch during closure.​

As stevegu said, the frameless window design is the primary reason. To prevent excessive wear on the window seals, the electronic push button causes the window to lower a fraction of a second before the door is released, so the window doesn't bind and scrape against the seals.

That doesn't make sense, "short drop" windows have been around forever. My 2005 Mustang had them… Start to pull the door handle and the window would lower about 1/4 inch to clear the door seals. Lots of cars, primarily with frameless windows, have short drop windows without an electronic door latch.

My guess is that it has to do with weight and complexity. Door latches usually involve at least two cables, sometimes three, for proper operation. One to the inside latch, one to the outside latch, one for the lock cylinder, and usually a rod for the manual lock release inside the door. All that stuff adds complexity, cost, and weight. I haven't torn the door apart on my 3, but I'm guessing there is only one cable for the emergency release. Probably cheaper to do it this way.

Tesla controls EVERY item on their cars electronically - and its fantastic.

Who is at risk? You have a battery backup as well as a manual emergency release.

What else do you want?

I think it is because outside of an emergency the windows are slightly lowered just before the door unlatches, and they are of course electric. It makes sense to let the system handle this so that the window part is complete before the door can be opened.

What? They have had frameless windows for decades before Tesla. They didn't all have electric door releases. As a matter of fact...most of them don't.

My kids are at risk in the back seat without any way of manually releasing the door. In the event of a vehicle fire or submersion in water, they wouldn't have many options.

If my kids were in the back seat and for some strange reason the car was being submersed in water.....do you think I would let any of those windows would remain in place? Roll them down. Bust them out. Who cares?

You don't think I would yank them through my door?

We are not talking about a BAU situation.

BTW....most electronic devices still work wet...or even submerged.

Last edited:
Reactions: XLR82XS
If my kids were in the back seat and for some strange reason the car was being submersed in water.....do you think I would let any of those windows would remain in place? Roll them down. Bust them out. Who cares?

You don't think I would yank them through my door?

We are not talking about a BAU situation.

Of course I would. Assuming, of course, I was conscious and capable of doing so. Which certainly isn't a guarantee in an accident.

BTW....most electronic devices still work wet...or even submerged.