Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

why electronic door locks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most cars have buttons that can be pressed to lock all doors or set them to only open in specific situations.

Its a fast paced heart wrenching scenario. I'm not going to remember anything about a single button ( among hundreds in an ICE car ) that unlocks all doors. I'm breaking windows and kicking out stuff.

Just assume you have a 2 door car...….

Are 2 door cars automatic suicide vehicles for people in the back seat?

They don't have a back door at all.

Its a fast paced heart wrenching scenario. I'm not going to remember anything about a single button ( among hundreds in an ICE car ) that unlocks all doors. I'm breaking windows and kicking out stuff.

Just assume you have a 2 door car...….

Are 2 door cars automatic suicide vehicles for people in the back seat?

They don't have a back door at all.

Are you honestly trying to to say that the car wouldn't be safer with a manual release in the backseat? Right after you tried telling us that electronics often work when submerged or wet?

Reactions: jfinephilly
Most cars have buttons that can be pressed to lock all doors or set them to only open in specific situations.

So does the model 3.

The button to lock all the doors is on the screen. You can also double-press the park button to unlock all doors.

The lock/unlock settings are also accessible on the screen.

locks.jpg

• Informative
My kids are at risk in the back seat without any way of manually releasing the door. In the event of a vehicle fire or submersion in water, they wouldn't have many options.

Not different from a locked door to the person outside trying to help. Not different from engaged child safety locks to the person inside wanting to get out.

There is the 12v backup that should last, or at least last as long as it would on any other car. Escaping from underwater usually requires rolling down a window due to water pressure.

My 2001 Dodge Viper with an 8L V10 that got negative miles to the gallon also had electronic door latches with a manual emergency release, so it’s not like Tesla invented anything here that wasn’t being used in production 20 years ago.

I didn’t die then from those door latches, and I don’t expect to die now from them.

Same on my old 2000 TVR Cerbera. (UK car similar to Dodge Viper) Frameless windows went up inside/behind the frames to seal. Emergency release in the Floor area. NO handles on the outside either, just a button, the same as the inside.

Which was OK, until you left the lights on, and the battery went flat. (Car not clever enough to turn the lights off, or do anything else for that matter)

They thought of that though, and put an emergency release in the Boot/Trunk.... Which also has an electronic button to open it. Doh..

The hood release (to get a jump on the battery) wasn't electronic, was a turn knob, but located in the car, which you couldn't get to, cause the doors wouldn't open as the battery was flat.

IF you do get in (secret only know to owners, it says so in the manual), with the battery flat, you couldn't shut the Door again, as the windows wouldn't go down to clear the frames. Which is not so good, if it's raining, which is why you had the lights on, and have to wait for 2 hours for the tow truck, cause your jump starter pack, stored in the trunk, has gone flat as well. (Jump pack, as flat battery was relatively regular occurrence)

In the event of a vehicle fire or submersion in water, they wouldn't have many options.

In the event of submersion in water, a manual door release is useless because of the pressure. You can't open the door. It's necessary to open windows (electronically or by breaking them) to equalize the pressure, at which point they can get out through the window, anyway.

In case of a fire - fires progress relatively slowly. There's no gas tank or spilled fuel to flash-fire or explode, so you actually time to get out of the car, open the doors, open the windows, etc. Battery fires get intense and huge, but they start small and progress slowly. (And usually don't burn at all, but you can bet they'll get on the news if they do.)

If there's a serious crash and emergency crews are opening the car, just FYI, they often do not address the rear doors at all. They break out the back window to extract rear-seat passengers; it's a much larger opening, it's safer for injured passengers (especially on spinal/neck isolation boards), whereas the doors can present all sorts of problems after a serious impact.

Are you honestly trying to to say that the car wouldn't be safer with a manual release in the backseat?

Yes, the car absolutely is safer for children without a manual release in the backseat. The highest risk is that the children operate the manual release while the car is in motion (or leave the car at a stop without the parent realizing.)

This is, in fact, why child-safe locks were invented which prevent children from using the normal, old-fashioned manual door handle (which is a manual release in the back seat.) The safest thing to do, with children, is to make sure there is no manual release.

You're focusing on a very rare risk (trapped in car with no seconds to spare before imminent death) at the expense of a relatively common one (manual releases get operated by a kid without the driver's awareness - whether in motion or at a stop - leading to tragedy.)

Last edited:
Reactions: LowBattery
Its a dangerous world out there. Even the very features we create to improve safety, no matter how effective, will occasionally have the opposite effect. There's just too many variables to account for.

- Airbags kill people, especially earlier models
- Seatbelts trap people in burning cars
- Child safety locks trap people in cars
- Door locks slow good samaritans from helping people

The vast majority of the time, however, these features (and others) work to safe lives.

There are partial solutions in play now too:
- Smarter airbags that deploy with less force when full force isn't needed
- Better designed seatbelt buckles with less chance of jamming
- Electronic child safety locks that can be unlocked from the front seats (or by the computer in the case of airbag deployment)
- Door locks that automatically unlock after airbag deployment so people can help.

Its simple math. You have a new "feature" that will save 2000 lives a year, but in the process will contribute to the harm/death of 5. You can either deploy it and deal with the consequences, or you can delay another year or two trying to solve ALL problems, and meanwhile another 2000+ suffer.

To the OP, were you asking about the electronic door LOCK (prevents someone from opening the door from the outside), or the electronic door LATCH (push button to open the door)? Either way, the short answer is because there's no key. No key means you need power to run a computer to make sure an authorized user (phone, keycard, fob) is trying to get into the vehicle. Since this is the case, there's no reason not to have electronic everything since nothing will work unless you have power anyway.

For the rare "trapped in the car" situation, there's the emergency release on the 2 front doors and the trunk. There is (likely) no accessible emergency release on the back doors since that would negate the child lock feature and likely cause more issues than it would solve.

cool. thanks for the explanation, guys. i have a scion frs with frameless door and mechanical door release. the window also drops a bit when you open the door that's why i wonder why model 3 didn't just stick with a mechanical release for simplicity.