Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why get a dashcam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, on a related note ....

What's the advantage of getting one with built in wifi? Aside from being able to view things on my phone or do things without removing the card ....

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I guess the next thread I start will be the one asking for dash cam recommendations and installers in NE Ohio :D

Yea, removing portable media is not exactly convenient. That being said, with v9 software that's slated to be rolled out later this month, Tesla has integrated a dashcam feature with the M3 front cameras. There's a thread where this is discussed in good detail. While its not as full featured as some third party cameras, it might work for you.

I'm waiting on that before committing to a third party dashcam.

Hope this helps.

I see lots of posts about people getting dashcams, my question is what are the reasons people are getting them?

Thanks

For me, I got rear ended in my old car. The guy said I changed lanes in the intersection. Luckily, the insurance believed me and did not place me at fault.

Then I got a dash cam. I then get crashed into on the freeway about 6 months later because the guy fell asleep. It saved me $500.00 on my deductible since my insurance and their insurance could not get a hold of him. I shared the footage to both companies and found the other driver at fault. not bad for something that runs passively and cost me $80.00. It's now in my Model 3 since that last crash totaled my car.

Reactions: halfricanguy
For me, I got rear ended in my old car. The guy said I changed lanes in the intersection. Luckily, the insurance believed me and did not place me at fault.

Then I got a dash cam. I then get crashed into on the freeway about 6 months later because the guy fell asleep. It saved me $500.00 on my deductible since my insurance and their insurance could not get a hold of him. I shared the footage to both companies and found the other driver at fault. not bad for something that runs passively and cost me $80.00. It's now in my Model 3 since that last crash totaled my car.

Wait fell asleep!? Your dash cam records the rear too?

...with v9 software that's slated to be rolled out later this month, Tesla has integrated a dashcam feature with the M3 front cameras. There's a thread where this is discussed in good detail. While its not as full featured as some third party cameras, it might work for you.
From what I've seen and read I'll most likely go with a 2 channel third party one, that'll give me front and rear as well as parking mode, plus more features.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: Nathan and MXWing