Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dashcam Moments - Video or it didn't happen!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
Just thought it would be fun to create a thread where others can share their Model 3 Dashcam moments.

TeslaCam, 3rd party, whatever you got - share it!

I think the Model 3 is so fast and so quiet that there is risk of someone not seeing you before making lane changes.

Any thoughts on if EAP would have dodged that? I would have grabbed the wheel in this situation as I saw it coming and not even THINK about chancing it.

This is reason #34959 why I will NEVER enable chill mode. I want maximum acceleration potential at ALL times.

The "safest" car is the one that doesn't get hit!!!

Last edited:
Since v9 update, EAP sees slow mergers due to wider cameras being active. Works great in LA. However, no one should be driving like that on public roads. Why did you go so fast? Want to reach all those stopped cars ASAP? Not sure where you're at but in CA a motorcycle could be lane splitting and you will be at fault for hitting him if you swerve into him.

Btw, Tesla drivers are the worst. There's so many here and most of the time I see them, they want to race. Doesn't matter if it's a S or a 3. Sometimes, two Model Ss would race each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: P85_DA
I bet a FSD car would have noticed the car moving toward the lane and slowed down. Also wouldn’t have been driving that fast next to stopped traffic.
EAP doesn’t seem to slow for cars until they’re already in the lane so I’m not sure it would do anything.
Personally I would already be in the right lane. I like to give myself plenty of margin for people changing lanes.

Reactions: P85_DA and Lem89
Since v9 update, EAP sees slow mergers due to wider cameras being active. Works great in LA. However, no one should be driving like that on public roads. Why did you go so fast? Want to reach all those stopped cars ASAP? Not sure where you're at but in CA a motorcycle could be lane splitting and you will be at fault for hitting him if you swerve into him.

Btw, Tesla drivers are the worst. There's so many here and most of the time I see them, they want to race. Doesn't matter if it's a S or a 3. Sometimes, two Model Ss would race each other.

I was only going up to the speed limit. It looks fast since traffic was stopped. You can see I had zero difficulty slowing at a comfortable distance once I got close to a car. I was 4-5 seconds away. That’s like EAP follow distance of 10. ;)

The fault is with the merging driver through and through.

I do agree with @Daniel in SD that for better defensive driving, I could have moved over one more.

Remember it’s very easy to critique post action vs in the moment.

Just thought it would be fun to create a thread where others can share their Model 3 Dashcam moments.

I think the Model 3 is so fast and so quiet that there is risk of someone not seeing you before making lane changes.

Any thoughts on if EAP would have dodged that? I would have grabbed the wheel in this situation as I saw it coming and not even THINK about chancing it.

This is reason #34959 why I will NEVER enable chill mode. I want maximum acceleration potential at ALL times.

If you had chill mode on, it wouldn’t have happened in the first place.

If you had chill mode on, it wouldn’t have happened in the first place.

Yes if I limped out like a Camry that car would be in front of me instead of behind me.

Victim blaming yay (MY lane) anyone can come at you from any angle at any time. Punching out has saved me from numerous collisions no matter if I am at, below or above the speed limit.

Yes if I limped out like a Camry that car would be in front of me instead of behind me.

Victim blaming yay (MY lane) anyone can come at you from any angle at any time. Punching out has saved me from numerous collisions no matter if I am at, below or above the speed limit.

Faster you go, the faster you need evasive maneuvers.

I never had an issue in any (slower) vehicle. Even chill mode it’s still faster than anything I owned.

Your handling is what saved you, not the gas pedal. And the gas pedal got you in trouble in the first place.

you drove too fast for the road conditions.

Driving the other night in a Light / Dark scenario (before I put on my polarizit) and things just sort of appear out of nowhere. I've given up trying to "count the points". I drive this road almost every day... sometimes you get so used to looking at the sides of the road that you don't see what is right in front of you.

Wow! Had to watch it more than once to see what happened. Is that the deer in headlights phenomena? It was like waiting for you. Either to hit it or waiting for you to go by so it can cross!

Have a few questions:

1.) How fast were you going? I swear the camera adds 20 mph. ;)
2.) If it was in your lane could you of stopped or swerved on time?
3.) Whats your collision deductible? That would of sucked had you hit.

Last edited:
Reactions: P85_DA
Driving the other night in a Light / Dark scenario (before I put on my polarizit) and things just sort of appear out of nowhere. I've given up trying to "count the points". I drive this road almost every day... sometimes you get so used to looking at the sides of the road that you don't see what is right in front of you.

very tricky. in europe they started mounting blue reflectors on the side of the road which apprently keep wildlife away from the road.

Wow! Had to watch it more than once to see what happened. Is that the deer in headlights phenomena? It was like waiting for you. Either to hit it or waiting for you to go by so it can cross!

Have a few questions:

1.) How fast were you going? I swear the camera adds 20 mph. ;)
2.) If it was in your lane could you of stopped or swerved on time?
3.) Whats your collision deductible? That would of sucked had you hit.

It was mating season so I think I was just fortunate... just sort of walking along. It did seem to stop and look at me as I was coming though. But you can see in the video it just seemed to appear in the road. If you didn't now in advance it would be there it is almost impossible to see it until it is there.

It's on the video there. 45 MPH.

I did swerve a little, but you can barely see it due to camera stabilizing it. If it was running i probably would have plowed into it.

Deductible is low but it isn't the cost of repair that would bother me, on a model 3 it is more like it going up the low hood and into the windshield with those antlers that scared me. Cars can get fixed. In this case though, nothing happened.

Reactions: hoang51

Just crossing a highway. Cross the near side, let the car pass, cross to the other side.
Probably crossing the road to check its mail

That deer was really careless:
- wearing a non-reflective coat. That's a big no-no. Should have worn some hi-vis gear.
- deer forgot about its large headgear, which stuck out onto your side of the road.