Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I hate IKEA....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, the post title is admittedly a little bit of a clickbait title, but I do feel this public service announcement about the dangers of free public charging stations needs to be said...so here is my story:

I was a true convert to the EV world since my first Chevy Volt, and eventually upgraded to the 2017 volt after winning a 1 week test drive on the gen 2 volt at the auto show by having the least amount of gas used in Ontario (my average was 0.6 l/100km). That week with the gen2 volt made me want to upgrade, which I did about 7 months later after getting a good deal on a trade in, and I love(d) the car.

Along the way, my wife's VW Golf TDI was part of the emissions scandal, and I convinced her to take the buyback from VW and put the money towards a Bolt, our first full EV....she loves it....but I digress....back to the point of the post :oops:

4 months ago I was happily out with my wife and 7 month old kid in her bolt, and we stopped at Ikea in Burlington to top up the charge on the DC Fast charge units there and grab an ice cream/do some grocery shopping....lo and behold, I saw my first Model 3 out in the wild and I was instantly in love with it :rolleyes:

I went home thinking, its too expensive, you have a perfectly good car with your 2017 volt, you cant afford it....etc, etc.....

Well, 3 days later I put a deposit down 'for the heck of it', figuring I would have at least a year wait for the car since I wasn't a line waiter, or former Tesla owner (this was a couple weeks before the floodgates opened and you could still make a reservation and had to wait before configuration emails were sent). At the time, I battled with questions like: "what if the rebate gets cancelled", "what if I cant sell my volt privately", "what am I thinking looking at such an expensive car"...etc....

So, then I get the 'your car can be configured' email 3 days after placing my reservation, and at that point the real decision process came to a head, and I figured F-it....I'm going to "treat-yo-self" (Parks and Rec reference :cool:) and I committed to order.

Fast forward ~ 4 months, and my volt is sold, I picked up my model 3 AWD yesterday and it does not disappoint in the least.....

But I still put complete blame on Ikea for the hole in my bank account, because if they didn't offer free charging (and cheap ice cream) I probably wouldn't have had that chance encounter with my first model 3 in the wild and I would be less poor :(

"Free Charging" will forever be an oxymoron in my book because my Ikea experience 'cost' me about $90k :oops:

But, overall....its totally worth it! :D

To all new owners, congrats....to those still waiting, it will all be worth it when you finally get delivery ;)

What colour was it? If it was MSM with a guy outside cursing that the L2 charging stations were always out of order, it might've been me. o_O
Lol, it may have been. The first one I wanted was MSM, then 3 weeks later I saw a blue (again at IKEA) and changed my colour. Finally I saw a white in downtown Burlington at the beginning of September and changed one last time. Got lucky and the change didn't affect delivery.

Oh, and now they have 4x charge point stations at IKEA . Much more reliable than the SCH ones that were always down, and you can see if they are occupied before going there which is also a nice plus :)

Reactions: oakvillemike
So, the post title is admittedly a little bit of a clickbait title, but I do feel this public service announcement about the dangers of free public charging stations needs to be said...so here is my story:

I was a true convert to the EV world since my first Chevy Volt, and eventually upgraded to the 2017 volt after winning a 1 week test drive on the gen 2 volt at the auto show by having the least amount of gas used in Ontario (my average was 0.6 l/100km). That week with the gen2 volt made me want to upgrade, which I did about 7 months later after getting a good deal on a trade in, and I love(d) the car.

Along the way, my wife's VW Golf TDI was part of the emissions scandal, and I convinced her to take the buyback from VW and put the money towards a Bolt, our first full EV....she loves it....but I digress....back to the point of the post :oops:

4 months ago I was happily out with my wife and 7 month old kid in her bolt, and we stopped at Ikea in Burlington to top up the charge on the DC Fast charge units there and grab an ice cream/do some grocery shopping....lo and behold, I saw my first Model 3 out in the wild and I was instantly in love with it :rolleyes:

I went home thinking, its too expensive, you have a perfectly good car with your 2017 volt, you cant afford it....etc, etc.....

Well, 3 days later I put a deposit down 'for the heck of it', figuring I would have at least a year wait for the car since I wasn't a line waiter, or former Tesla owner (this was a couple weeks before the floodgates opened and you could still make a reservation and had to wait before configuration emails were sent). At the time, I battled with questions like: "what if the rebate gets cancelled", "what if I cant sell my volt privately", "what am I thinking looking at such an expensive car"...etc....

So, then I get the 'your car can be configured' email 3 days after placing my reservation, and at that point the real decision process came to a head, and I figured F-it....I'm going to "treat-yo-self" (Parks and Rec reference :cool:) and I committed to order.

Fast forward ~ 4 months, and my volt is sold, I picked up my model 3 AWD yesterday and it does not disappoint in the least.....

But I still put complete blame on Ikea for the hole in my bank account, because if they didn't offer free charging (and cheap ice cream) I probably wouldn't have had that chance encounter with my first model 3 in the wild and I would be less poor :(

"Free Charging" will forever be an oxymoron in my book because my Ikea experience 'cost' me about $90k :oops:

But, overall....its totally worth it! :D

To all new owners, congrats....to those still waiting, it will all be worth it when you finally get delivery ;)
Haha! I’m actually charging my Model S at IKEA Rhodes in Sydney Australia as I type this!

Reactions: pcons
I was at Ikea in Burlington a couple of weeks ago returning something and plugged my M3 in. By the time I came out, there was a Volt, an i 3, a Model X in the EV spots and the MX owner was telling the owners of the other two cars how awesome Tesla is. Then I walked to my car and she was like, this is my car's little brother. Oh well, at least I qualified for the rebate and she didn't, haha...

Haha! I’m actually charging my Model S at IKEA Rhodes in Sydney Australia as I type this!
Hah, see ikea does more than sell cheap furniture that most people hate to put together (However, I enjoy the challenge and ingenuity of design they utilize to optimize packing.....). It brings people together from around the world. So, I've learned something with this thread:

With more Ikea's in the world there would be more peace (oh, and more Tesla's....need more Tesla's too) ;)

I was at Ikea in Burlington a couple of weeks ago returning something and plugged my M3 in. By the time I came out, there was a Volt, an i 3, a Model X in the EV spots and the MX owner was telling the owners of the other two cars how awesome Tesla is. Then I walked to my car and she was like, this is my car's little brother. Oh well, at least I qualified for the rebate and she didn't, haha...
It's definitely gotten busier over there in the last few years. Nice to see. Also downtown Burlington is getting a whack of new chargers. The 4 at the waterfront garage are always great during sound of music festival and rib fest, but there are 2 more by Kelly's bake shop, and another 3 locations under construction (not sure if those are 2 or 4 station installs yet).

Too bad I have the long rage battery, with all these local stations plus home charging the SR would have been enough for me :rolleyes:

It's definitely gotten busier over there in the last few years. Nice to see. Also downtown Burlington is getting a whack of new chargers. The 4 at the waterfront garage are always great during sound of music festival and rib fest, but there are 2 more by Kelly's bake shop, and another 3 locations under construction (not sure if those are 2 or 4 station installs yet).

Too bad I have the long rage battery, with all these local stations plus home charging the SR would have been enough for me :rolleyes:
But u r driving it now instead of waiting again :)

Yup, agree....and given demand for the SR at its price point will be insane I dont want to be part of that pack of people waiting in delivery limbo. As it is, I'm not sure what stars aligned to get me my car before some early reservation holders, but I'm glad they did! :cool:

Giga 1 needs to scale to produce the battery packs at less than 100$ / kW and watch out... profit per car would be insane.

The SR model demand will keep Tesla busy for the next two years.

Throw on Model Y and T(Truck) with reduced cost yet high margin 50-70k USD price tags and the stock would soar. Just need to get over the M3 mass production hump.

Short sellers should be covering after 50k M3's delivered in Q3.

Reactions: pcons