Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 months Free Supercharging: What is "excessive?"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering buying a(nother) Model Y and taking advantage of the 6 free months of Supercharging. My only concern is the wording of "excessive charging." Last time Tesla offered 3 months of free Supercharging with the purchase of a Model 3, I used at least 16,000 miles worth of free Supercharging in 3 months (I love roadtripping). In fact, I'd still roadtrip even without free Supercharging, roadtrips is a part of my usual driving habits. So in 6 months, I'd use well over 30,000 miles worth of Free Supercharging. What is the definition of "excessive?"

like @ucmndd said, no one knows. Driving at a 60k Mile a year pace (30k in 6 months) doesnt really sound like "regular use", but since Tesla can see location the car is as well, they will know if you are driving in a specific area, or road tripping etc.

In fact, I'd still roadtrip even without free Supercharging, roadtrips is a part of my usual driving habits.

So then, the supercharging offer should have no bearing on whether you choose to purchase or not, based on this statement, so whether its free or not isnt that relevant to you, based on this statement.

In any case, no one will know, but Tesla itself (and likely not anyone in the sales organization either). its going to be "some value" that is flagged in Teslas back end software, that they will likely send to someone internal to evaluate for disabling the feature on accounts their back end software flags as "excessive", with whatever flags they set for that. I doubt its just mileage but have no idea, and no one who does would answer it online.

I am considering buying a(nother) Model Y and taking advantage of the 6 free months of Supercharging. My only concern is the wording of "excessive charging." Last time Tesla offered 3 months of free Supercharging with the purchase of a Model 3, I used at least 16,000 miles worth of free Supercharging in 3 months (I love roadtripping). In fact, I'd still roadtrip even without free Supercharging, roadtrips is a part of my usual driving habits. So in 6 months, I'd use well over 30,000 miles worth of Free Supercharging. What is the definition of "excessive?"

It sounds like "a lot."

Usually those who drive or use a lot are professionals who drive for a living: delivery, rides, taxis...

I doubt a road trip enthusiast can match Uber usage.

The wife drive to work 120 miles a day, so second day to hit super charger going from 80% to 20%. Would that be excessive, it’s her commute car.

120 miles a day, 5 days a week = 600 miles a week
600 miles a week, without vacations or breaks, for 52 weeks (1 year) = 31,200

Assuming some casual driving as well of roughly 9-10k = 40-41k miles

A lot? Yeah. "Excessive?" I doubt reasonable people would consider that excessive as far as supercharging goes, even if all of it was supercharged. Since the supercharging is 6 months, you are talking about 15k miles. Doesnt sound excessive at all. The OP of this thread was asking about basically double your usage (30k miles in 6 months).

Reactions: SpicyPaneer