Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is my Model 3 consuming my entire upstream BW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Without addressing the time of day or amount of data, it sounds like the car is acting like any device on the network. We have 960 down/40 up and any device that decides to upload a lot of data will eat the entire 40 Mbps upload. It happens when one of my kids uploads a 1GB video to YouTube and their iPhones even do it when they are syncing photos/videos to the cloud. Unless your upload bandwidth exceeds the bandwidth of the destination or its connection or your WiFi speed is too slow, any upload will tend to eat up the entire upload bandwidth on moderate upload speeds (like less than 100 Mbps). As mentioned, the solution (other than being able to stop it or pick an off time) is at the router level. You need a router that offers QOS or bandwidth limitation by MAC address. The router has to be told not to saturate the upload bandwidth otherwise any and every device that is fast enough (and has a big enough upload) will do the same thing to your connection. Those devices are just doing what they are told: send data. The router is what is giving them full bandwidth.

Mike

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Why doesn’t Tesla schedule these uploads to happen overnight? Or make scheduling upload windows available from the car?

Seems like an obviously easy fix, and more helpful than adding games or fart noises.

Because Tesla doesn't give a *sugar* about your Internet speeds. It wants to make its Autopilot better so it can use it to sell more cars.

Tesla needs to receive data, and it can receive more data if it uploads it every hour of the day.

It also doesn't care that data uploads keep the car awake using more power.

From the consumer's standpoint, the obvious time to upload would be when the car is charging on AC at its home location.

Last edited:
Mine did it again yesterday after a drive. It seems to do it now after every drive. I had screwed up the bw throttling and my wife complained about it again. I think I have it right this time. If not, I'm going to have to turn wifi off in the car.

Just turn off Data Sharing.

Fred
I'm not sure if even that stops it. I had turned all the data sharing to off again when I got home Wednesday, but found my internet was barely working a little later that evening when I tried to use it. I turned the wifi off in the car and my internet was immediately back to working normally.

Makes me like my connection protocol even more: when I get notified that an update is available, I enable tethering on my phone and connect on my drive home to DL.
I think I need to switch to this method.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
Turn off Data Sharing, click No to all 3 boxes, the 3rd new added checked box is for the interior Cabin cam. This will also reduce battery Phantom drain and also allow the car to go quicker into a deep sleep.

Note that when using the Navigation, it will force these Data Sharing features to activate.

It’s one of my parking check list procedures I go through before exiting the car. First lights off, fan off, sentry & Dashcam off and lastly data sharing off.

Fred

Damn... that's just too much. If that was me, I would just get a regular dumb car.