Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is my Model 3 consuming my entire upstream BW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife complained that the "internet is slow." Traffic analysis on my router showed that our Model 3 was consuming 100% of the upstream bandwidth. I ended up throttling it at 500kbps so the kids could actually get some school work done and to prevent this from happening again.

But the real question is, what the heck was it actually sending and to whom (Tesla I guess)?

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
Good point. It is 3 Mbps. It had been using 100% for at least 10 minutes, so it was moving a significant amount of data. There is no way logs are that big so it has to be video.

I went back and looked at where the data was going, but the router only listed destinations as amazon (~30%) and other (~70%) of the traffic originating from the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Tres_Azul
Did Tesla change this to use more bandwidth recently?

My internet has been just about dead a lot times over the last month or so. I wonder if this is the problem? I found I can fix it by turning off the wifi, but that kills a lot of other things including the cars connection. The best broadband Centurylink can provide me is 20Mbps down and about just over 0.8Mbps up. Which always tests out at only ~12Mbps/~0.8Mps when it's actually working well. I hadn't made any changes to my network in well over a year, so it's been a strange problem I haven't fully figured out yet. Maybe Starlink will give me another option.

Turn off Data Sharing, click No to all 3 boxes, the 3rd new added checked box is for the interior Cabin cam. This will also reduce battery Phantom drain and also allow the car to go quicker into a deep sleep.

Note that when using the Navigation, it will force these Data Sharing features to activate.

It’s one of my parking check list procedures I go through before exiting the car. First lights off, fan off, sentry & Dashcam off and lastly data sharing off.

Fred

Last edited:
Did Tesla change this to use more bandwidth recently?

My internet has been just about dead a lot times over the last month or so. I wonder if this is the problem? I found I can fix it by turning off the wifi, but that kills a lot of other things including the cars connection. The best broadband Centurylink can provide me is 20Mbps down and about just over 0.8Mbps up. Which always tests out at only ~12Mbps/~0.8Mps when it's actually working well. I hadn't made any changes to my network in well over a year, so it's been a strange problem I haven't fully figured out yet. Maybe Starlink will give me another option.

At least on my car Tesla has been uploading considerably more data than in the past. It’s not unusual for me to upload hundreds of megabytes per day now and this was not the case a few months ago. I can only imagine how painful that would be on an uplink of less than 1 Mbps.

Reactions: fmm and anti
Turn off Data Sharing, click No to all 3 boxes, the 3rd new added checked box is for the interior Cabin cam. This will also reduce battery Phantom drain and also allow the car to go quicker into a deep sleep.

Note that when using the Navigation, it will force these Data Sharing features to activate.

It’s one of my parking check list procedures I go through before exiting the car. First lights off, fan off, sentry & Dashcam off and lastly data sharing off.

Fred
Thank you! I did tell it no when it first asked about the cabin cam in one of those last few updates. I'l try this out tonight and see if it fixes things for me.

they also must assume that everyone has access to faster broadband - lets face it, 12 / 3 / 1 / .8 Mbps upstream is not fast. I recognize that in some areas people have no choice as that might be all that's available. but, at 300 Mbps upstream I couldn't care less about when they upload data. the ideal way to solve that is with a low bandwidth setting that would throttle usage and upload at off times. I'd be interested to understand what % of Tesla owners actually have low bandwidth primary connections - therefore if it's even worth Tesla doing, or of it's such a low % of owners that leaving it them to configure on personal routers is the best course.

Last edited:
To answer the OPs original question, if I had to guess, it would be because Tesla is a California company, and sometimes seems to forget that things are different in other places.

For example, I doubt very many people who could afford a tesla have a internet connection that slow in CA. The base cable connection that my mom has in her home is 25 Mbps. My own internet connection at my home (which is admittedly very fast) is 940 Mbps up and down. The average californian that can afford a tesla model 3 likely has a connection at least 12Mbps, but more likely around the 50-100 Mpbs range.

I realize this is not the same everywhere, but the people who progam these uploads and downloads probably dont even consider that the car would be connected to internet at home that is "that slow".

If I had internet that slow, I would either bandwith limit the model 3, or not even bother connecting it to my wifi at all, and only connect it when the car prompted me for a firmware update.

My Model 3 decided to upload 10 GB yesterday as well, starting at 1pm central. It used up our entire 8Mbps upload bandwidth and made my wife's work from home nearly impossible. I hadn't noticed before, but it'd be great if they could do this overnight.

Mine has started to upload on pretty much a daily basis for nearly two weeks now. In fact, I was about to start a thread about it when I saw this one.

Up until two weeks ago, it was a very rare thing for my car to upload volumes of data to the mothership. Now it's daily. I don't mind a bit, as I have a 1gbps up/1gbps down fiber connection, and the WiFi repeater that the car is on can't even use half of that. I can understand the frustration with people trying to work from home when the car is saturating the bandwidth. Would be nice of Tesla to offer a way to throttle it.

Anyone have any idea what it is that they're currently asking the fleet about? Wonder if green has any ideas. Didn't he used to have a forum account here? Can't see anyone under @greentheonly.

The fastest internet speed I can get it 20mb down, 1 mb up. My wife made kick the car off wifi. Here's one day's example. My car has manage to upload 44GB in the past month!
Screenshot_20200904-063527.png