TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Why is the fan turning on so often when parked/charging?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by timvracer, Oct 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. timvracer

timvracer Member

I have noticed that often, when I go into the garage, my car is making noise as if the climate control is on. Any idea on what this is (sounds like the fan) and why it is going on so often?

I have had unusually large electric bills (I stay plugged in all night) despite not driving alot of miles, but I do charge to 90% every night. I am starting to wonder if something is wrong, and the car is using excessive power for this fan, whatever it is.

I have found once in awhile that when I login with the app, climate control is ON although I never set it to be on with the app. If I park with the Climate Control on, does it stay on even after leaving the car??

2. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

It could be the "Smart Preconditioning" which attempts to learn when you typically drive the car and precools/prewarms the car ahead of that time.

I had long turned this off as I didn't find it very...smart.

• Like x 1
  3. oktane

oktane Active Member

Not sure why they don’t allow a built-in schedule function and you have to use a third-party app.

4. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

A) Smart Preconditioning
    B) The feature that keeps the car at 105F so any kids left in the car don't overheat -- I found this turned on by default, had to turn it off.
    C) A key has been left in the car?
    D) Glitch that has the default set to leave AC on. Rebooting the center screen or toggling the AC in the app might fix that.