Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the fan turning on so often when parked/charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed that often, when I go into the garage, my car is making noise as if the climate control is on. Any idea on what this is (sounds like the fan) and why it is going on so often?

I have had unusually large electric bills (I stay plugged in all night) despite not driving alot of miles, but I do charge to 90% every night. I am starting to wonder if something is wrong, and the car is using excessive power for this fan, whatever it is.

I have found once in awhile that when I login with the app, climate control is ON although I never set it to be on with the app. If I park with the Climate Control on, does it stay on even after leaving the car??

A) Smart Preconditioning
B) The feature that keeps the car at 105F so any kids left in the car don't overheat -- I found this turned on by default, had to turn it off.
C) A key has been left in the car?
D) Glitch that has the default set to leave AC on. Rebooting the center screen or toggling the AC in the app might fix that.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mobius484
It's common for the fan to run when ambient temps are high and/or charging. It needs to cool the batteries.
Keeping the car at 105. That's overheat protection. I would doubt your garage is that hot a night, or ever, based on where you live.
Kill Smart preconditioning. It's useless and could be the culprit. in 3 years, I have never had my AC running all on it's own with the car locked and shut down with that off.
Make sure to check out PGE's EV rate plan. If you charge at night, it will save you a fortune. My kw rate is 0.11 and I am just over the hill from you. I pay, on average approx 0.035-.05 per mile for energy.