Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why only 3 HomeLink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People have been asking for more than 3 HomeLink entries for many years. I believe the HomeLink module Tesla uses only supports 3 HomeLink devices. Probably if Tesla allowed adding an addition HomeLink module, they could update their software to support 6 devices.

• Informative
Reactions: oktane
What would be even better would be for Tesla to license the WiFi gateway interface - so the car's software would actually know the current state of the garage door (whether it is open or closed).

The other issue we have with Tesla's Homelink auto-open/auto-close is when both of our Tesla cars are approaching or leaving the garage.

When both are pulling into the garage, the first one opens the door - and as the second car approaches the door - it triggers the opener - and starts closing the door, while the car is pulling in.

Similar issue when both are pulling out - the first one pulls out of the garage and then triggers the door to close, while the second one is pulling out of the garage.

If they were using the WiFi gateway interface (we have MyQ), the software would know if the door was already open or closed, and not send a signal if the door was already in the correct state.

The MyQ interface, I believe, has nothing to do with Homelink. It is a Chamberlain/LiftMaster technology.

I agree that it would be great if Tesla would tie in to MyQ. Since there are IFTTT applets for myQ, there is a way to connect. MyQ has an API which should be able to be leveraged do what needs to be done.

Ah the old 'Two Teslas Homelink' variety of extreme first world problems...

In all seriousness, Tesla should be thinking about this as owning two or more Teslas is becoming more and more common.

Also garage state is key to really autonomously entering and leaving the garage. Cameras with a trained NN, will help too.

I only use 1 of the 3 despite having 2 garage doors. I'd loan @oktane the two spots if I could. :) They are wasted on me

I find it silly that in 2018 there is any limit to the amount of stored garages at all. Must be a hardware limitation tied to this ancient technology. If Tesla could access MyQ directly that would free up a couple spots for me for the "dumb" gates.

Also would be nice to have magnetic heading saved when automatically opening doors. It's silly every time I leave my gated community the opposite (entry) gate unintentionally opens due to geolocation saved but not the heading.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman and BBryson
Also garage state is key to really autonomously entering and leaving the garage.

Good point. Though without using technology like MyQ - Tesla is getting sensor data that could be used to detect if the garage door is open. Of course that would require updating Tesla Vision to reliably detect the garage door state - and we're already a year late in having Tesla Vision working well enough to get AP2 at AP1 levels.

Reactions: croman
Also garage state is key to really autonomously entering and leaving the garage. Cameras with a trained NN, will help too.
EXACTLY! Homelink should be updated to include this info.

Saying that Tesla has Auto Open and Auto Close for your garage door is incorrect. It has Auto Toggle which is due to the limitations of Homelink. This is one area that could have been improved if Tesla allowed third party apps - you could have had a MyQ Tesla app that can be integrated into the car.

I find it silly that in 2018 there is any limit to the amount of stored garages at all. Must be a hardware limitation tied to this ancient technology. If Tesla could access MyQ directly that would free up a couple spots for me for the "dumb" gates.

Also would be nice to have magnetic heading saved when automatically opening doors. It's silly every time I leave my gated community the opposite (entry) gate unintentionally opens due to geolocation saved but not the heading.

I was able to successfully avoid automatically opening the entrance gate when I was exiting by shortening the operating distance in the settings. That also keeps me from opening the gate for the car in front of me when entering. If that doesn't quite work for you, try resetting the location a little farther from the exit. I considered driving on the grass at the far side of the gate to set the location, but the distance setting was enough for me.

If Tesla can get the AP sensors to detect rain - they should be able to do a visual inspection of the garage door - and mimic what a human would do to trigger the opener only when needed.

While the MyQ technology is great to use with our smartphones - it is a security risk - because you're providing access to the garage door opener from a cloud server sending commands over the Internet...

So doing this the "old fashioned way" by looking at the door - and teaching Tesla Vision to recognize the open/closed door - may be best solution...