Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Ordered, Greatest Concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My concerns are as follows:

1) Will the size and seating position suit me? It looks small and total cargo capacity may mislead given that the frunk and under floor storage areas are no doubt included in the 66 cubic ft. capacity figure published. This means large items, such as a bicycle, may not fit behind the front seats. And, will the seating position be high enough to ease ingress/egress and give the commanding view of the road that many of us SUV drivers have come to like?

3) Will I miss the ride and opulence of a Mercedes or BMW? The Model 3 I drove was stiffly sprung and the interior was austere in comparison...this may be a matter of my needing to adjust my thinking as to what is really desirable.

1 - Seat is lower than some SUV's. A few inches higher than the seat in a Model 3. For overall size, start with a 3 and stretch it upwards. Or start with a Mazda CX-5 and add 6-7 inches to wheelbase and length.
3 - If you're concerned about a stiff ride, get the standard (smallest) wheels. I don't know when the 3 you drove was made, but early builds had stiffer springs.

My wife just recently bought a Model 3 and has now polluted me with Tesla, so I am on the fence about getting myself a Y. I've put about 2000 miles on her model 3..

thanks for all the input. interestingly, tonight we drove about 25 miles each way to see a show, through some mildly twisty roads and after dark. having been doing all this reading, i started paying more attention to what i looked at. i have a 2017 MB e300 with the 12 inch (non-touch) screen for nav and everything, and the non-digital guage cluster.

as i perused the guage cluster, i realized just how little the tach and (as you point out) the speed really matter. same with fuel and temp. and i use the big screen, which is slightly to the right, much more for nav and music.

on the other hand, the screen that replaces the cluster on the Model S looks pretty cool, so there is that...

so i have to agree, i will get used to it quickly.

I have wanted to get an EV for what could be my last vehicle.......

Concerns:

• Ride: If the Y is not as high stung as the M3 and in the ballpark of all the other BMW's, the 1980 911SC, and Infiniti G35, I'll be happy.

• Noise: Most of what I read about the 3 is highway & wind noise above 55 mph. Other than the destination traveling along I-95 from Maine-Maryland-Florida, all our driving is rural at that speed or lower. So, probably not a problem. Plus, I've read, including a quote from Elon Musk, that steps were taken to quiet the 3 in the last model year. If so, I expect that to be carried over to the Y.

These are my 2; as most with any vehicle.

Ride requirements may vary due to geographical location. Here frost is hard on roads along with snow you need a suspension that can handle rough roads and traction that can pull you through it while keeping you from sliding out of the lines. I needs to be a little tough; and goes like snot when passing is not a minus.

Hope there is not 14 speakers with a sub to drown out others. Saw a video of Bjørn's where they ripped panels apart on a M3 to sound proof it. Looked like it would be easier to do that when you are putting it together. Online companies do not get bigger not listening and trying their best. I would donate a few speakers for a bit of sound proofing as 5.1 (2.1 tunes) at home is prefect and plenty quiet.

Pros:

Not too much maintenance and good warranty.
No gas with clean power gen; can go just for a drive again without feeling guilty.
Longevity; could be my last one also ;).

I was originally going to order a Model 3 because of the release timing. My current Bolt lease ends in June/July. I prefer the Y bc of the extra cargo space and also bc its the newer product/tech from Tesla. The Y is a big stretch for me as far as pricing.

My concerns are:
1.) Tesla service - I hear some good but mostly bad stories on the service from Tesla
2.) Roof rack mounting points - If the mounts are the same as Model 3, I have seen some cracked glass roofs when the rack installation is over torqued. I'm hoping it has the same mounting points like Model S.

on the other hand, the screen that replaces the cluster on the Model S looks pretty cool, so there is that...

I agree. I have never been in an S or an X, but from what I have seen, the extra screen seems to provide far more technical information than anything on the 3's single screen. I do like the technical bits, so part of me does wish the Model 3 interface had something similar..

Reactions: Aarons12
Took a leap of faith and put my $100 down on a Model Y LR AWD a couple weeks ago. I've always owned Toyotas and was pretty much set on a 2020 4Runner or 2020 Highlander.

Last summer, I test drove a Model 3 and briefly considered ordering one. Loved the instant acceleration and the simplicity of the cabin. Wasn't quite sold on Autopilot. My test vehicle was a black on black SR+ and I didn't like how dark and small it felt inside. Also, I was leaning towards the LR RWD, which Tesla discontinued completely before I could order it (this was around July when a whole bunch of shuffling was happening with prices, white become the standard color, etc.). With all the turmoil, I lost interest and decided to wait for the 2020 4Runner (which was getting Toyota Safety Sense and CarPlay).

Although the Y had been announced, I didn't seriously consider it given how far out production was, and also assuming that the date would be pushed out based on Tesla's track record. I also wasn't sure how attractive a puffed up Model 3 would look in person, given how similar they appeared down to the wheels.

When it was announced that first deliveries were now anticipated in March, it got my attention again. I had been ready to order a 2020 Highlander Hybrid Platinum AWD, which stickers around $51K (granted, that's MSRP and not what most people pay net of discounts). The Model Y LR AWD could be had for just a little more than the Highlander Hybrid I was considering and also not much more than a Model 3 LR AWD.

I know it'll take awhile to ramp, but $100 seemed like a reasonable amount of risk to get in line, without seeing one in person yet.

My initial concerns:

1. Quality. While I was considering the Model 3, reading the horror stories of misaligned panels, poor paint quality, unexplained dents, bumpers falling off, etc. were troublesome. Granted, those things can happen to other cars and it seemed like it'd get blown out of proportion when it was a Tesla, but it was still concerning. This was also when things were pretty rough for Tesla as a company, and it made me worried that the Fremont factory was as chaotic as the ending factory scenes in the movie Gung Ho.

2. Reliability. I've had zero problems with the Toyotas I've owned. My current 4Runner (and my last one) have only gone in for routine maintenance. I can't recall taking either one in for any other issue. This will be my first Tesla, my first non-ICE vehicle, and my first EV.

3. Service. I've heard the good and the bad, and I expect that there's both, just like most other makes. I'm worried about Tesla's ability to scale as their base grows and whether that will impact some of the good things I've heard about Tesla's service (like the service loaners, or quickly coming by with a flatbed to tow).

4. Wheels. While the 20" wheels look great (especially with the white exterior), I'm hoping for negligible sacrifice of ride quality and a little bit of sidewall protection for these "rubber band" tires.

5. The Wait. I had to wait for my last two 4Runners to come in, but that was about 6-8 weeks of waiting. Not knowing how long is driving me nuts. :)

Took a leap of faith and put my $100 down on a Model Y LR AWD a couple weeks ago. I've always owned Toyotas and was pretty much set on a 2020 4Runner or 2020 Highlander.

Last summer, I test drove a Model 3 and briefly considered ordering one. Loved the instant acceleration and the simplicity of the cabin. Wasn't quite sold on Autopilot. My test vehicle was a black on black SR+ and I didn't like how dark and small it felt inside. Also, I was leaning towards the LR RWD, which Tesla discontinued completely before I could order it (this was around July when a whole bunch of shuffling was happening with prices, white become the standard color, etc.). With all the turmoil, I lost interest and decided to wait for the 2020 4Runner (which was getting Toyota Safety Sense and CarPlay).

Although the Y had been announced, I didn't seriously consider it given how far out production was, and also assuming that the date would be pushed out based on Tesla's track record. I also wasn't sure how attractive a puffed up Model 3 would look in person, given how similar they appeared down to the wheels.

When it was announced that first deliveries were now anticipated in March, it got my attention again. I had been ready to order a 2020 Highlander Hybrid Platinum AWD, which stickers around $51K (granted, that's MSRP and not what most people pay net of discounts). The Model Y LR AWD could be had for just a little more than the Highlander Hybrid I was considering and also not much more than a Model 3 LR AWD.

I know it'll take awhile to ramp, but $100 seemed like a reasonable amount of risk to get in line, without seeing one in person yet.

My initial concerns:

1. Quality. While I was considering the Model 3, reading the horror stories of misaligned panels, poor paint quality, unexplained dents, bumpers falling off, etc. were troublesome. Granted, those things can happen to other cars and it seemed like it'd get blown out of proportion when it was a Tesla, but it was still concerning. This was also when things were pretty rough for Tesla as a company, and it made me worried that the Fremont factory was as chaotic as the ending factory scenes in the movie Gung Ho.

2. Reliability. I've had zero problems with the Toyotas I've owned. My current 4Runner (and my last one) have only gone in for routine maintenance. I can't recall taking either one in for any other issue. This will be my first Tesla, my first non-ICE vehicle, and my first EV.

3. Service. I've heard the good and the bad, and I expect that there's both, just like most other makes. I'm worried about Tesla's ability to scale as their base grows and whether that will impact some of the good things I've heard about Tesla's service (like the service loaners, or quickly coming by with a flatbed to tow).

4. Wheels. While the 20" wheels look great (especially with the white exterior), I'm hoping for negligible sacrifice of ride quality and a little bit of sidewall protection for these "rubber band" tires.

5. The Wait. I had to wait for my last two 4Runners to come in, but that was about 6-8 weeks of waiting. Not knowing how long is driving me nuts. :)

The 20" wheels will necessitate less sidewall height meaning two things. 1) harsher ride unless suspension adjusted, which I doubt Tesla does and 2) higher probability of wheel damage from potholes. I have seen at least a couple of people post about the expense of wheel replacement. Not recommending you change your order, but these are factors to consider.

Reactions: Fred42
The 20" wheels will necessitate less sidewall height meaning two things. 1) harsher ride unless suspension adjusted, which I doubt Tesla does and 2) higher probability of wheel damage from potholes. I have seen at least a couple of people post about the expense of wheel replacement. Not recommending you change your order, but these are factors to consider.
The Y's wheels are wide 10" a 20" rims and 255/40x20 tires gives 4" of sidewall. The M3 P235/35x20 is 3 1/4"; 20% less. The model 3 18" P235/45R18 are 4 1/8" while the 19" Y's are 4 1/2". These are two different beasts and not part of the 75% same as they are easy to switch up with a wheel well size and not a bolt pattern (PCD).

Both the 19" (114.75mm) and 20" (102mm) options will have less sidewall than my 4Runner's 20" (147mm). And those all-black Induction wheels look great with the white exterior. If I had bought the Model 3, I would have gone with the 19" wheels and would have had to deal with even less sidewall (18" 105.75mm, 19" 94mm).

While we're on the subject of tires, that brings up another Tesla concern. Lack of a spare tire. I don't think it's a major concern based on the likelihood of actually using the spare and the availability of roadside assistance, but it's one of those things that's challenging my fixedness that all cars should have a spare tire.

I see a few postings about wheel size, including a 20" version. I just ordered my Y ( 2-weeks ago) and 20" rims were not an option! These are the specs for my Y:
  • Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance
  • Pearl White Paint
  • Performance Upgrade
  • 21’’ Überturbine Wheels
  • Black and White Premium Interior
  • Five Seat Interior
  • Autopilot
  • Full Self-Driving Capability
Any idea as to why I did not have a smaller wheel option...is Tesla just streamlining everything? I also had been circling around the order button for a few months before I decided to place my order, and noticed that the choices changed since I had last looked...there were 3 options, SRRWD, LRAWD and LRPerformance, AND a $2500 refundable deposit. Well, when I went in to place my order and my $2500, the parameters changed and I only had to commit $100! It felt like a gift since I would have had to plop down $2.5K...even if it was refundable.

I see a few postings about wheel size, including a 20" version. I just ordered my Y ( 2-weeks ago) and 20" rims were not an option!

The 20” is an option on the LR AWD (19” is standard). The Performance is either 19” or 21”.

The change from a $2,500 deposit to a $100 non-refundable order fee was a few weeks ago. I would have actually preferred the former since I’d get credit card points for that amount.

Embarrassingly my main concern is a lack of a heated steering wheel. Love having one in the mornings throughout winter. Another concern is being an early adopter before the kinks are worked out. Seen a few photos where the hatchback had big gaps and overlap issues. Rejecting my delivery will likely necessitate a long wait for replacement.