Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why pay for upgrading from Advanced Autopilot to FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After ordering my Model 3 in the fall of 2018 I was very excited to drive it in February 2019. I'm still a happy Tesla driver, but their obscure upgrade policy has gotten me frustrated as hell.

Tesla charges me $5.000 for an upgrade from HW2.5 to HW3, in order to get the new FSD features like stop sign and traffic light recognition. But back in 2018 I was promised *ALL* upgrades were included in the Advanced Autopilot package.

The story at my local Tesla dealer is that I didn't buy the FSD package. Which is pretty obvious, as the name FSD didn't even exist in 2018. At that time it was called Advanced Autopilot. That name is now obsolete, but the options are the same. So forking out 5k for a marketing trick feels like a bit of a scam right?

So how is this with you guys? Did you recently upgrade to HW3? Did it cost you anything?

Cheers,
Hans

Sorry to say, you are just not remembering correctly.
First, it's "Enhanced Autopilot", not Advanced.
Second, they sure as hell did offer FSD at the time. It was $3K, and gave you absolutely nothing except a future promise that is largely still unfulfilled.
I don't recall them ever promising "all upgrades" in EAP. It was a fixed feature set, though a few features have been added to it over time (such as NoA & advanced summon).

After ordering my Model 3 in the fall of 2018 I was very excited to drive it in February 2019. I'm still a happy Tesla driver, but their obscure upgrade policy has gotten me frustrated as hell.

Tesla charges me $5.000 for an upgrade from HW2.5 to HW3, in order to get the new FSD features like stop sign and traffic light recognition. But back in 2018 I was promised *ALL* upgrades were included in the Advanced Autopilot package.

The story at my local Tesla dealer is that I didn't buy the FSD package. Which is pretty obvious, as the name FSD didn't even exist in 2018. At that time it was called Advanced Autopilot. That name is now obsolete, but the options are the same. So forking out 5k for a marketing trick feels like a bit of a scam right?

So how is this with you guys? Did you recently upgrade to HW3? Did it cost you anything?

Cheers,
Hans

Yes, the name FSD did exist in 2018. It was an additional purchase ON TOP OF the $5k for enhanced autopilot, in 2018. How do I know? Because I bought my model 3P in 2018, and very clearly remember what I purchased at the time ("Enhanced autopilot") and what I did not purchase (" full self driving").

Also, its not like people who sell cars have never lied to someone, but since you so clearly are mis remembering what was available / what you purchased, I am betting you are mis remembering being promised "ALL upgrades". Not impossible for someone at tesla to lie to you, but I can tell you with 1000000% fact that you are mis remembering what was purchasable in 2018 cause I got my own car in 2018.

And, to answer the last question in your post, Yes, I had to pay to upgrade from EAP to FSD. I bought it during the fire sale they had in april of 2019. You will not be able to get it for the price I paid for it. I paid 2k for it (remember that is on top of the 5k we both paid for EAP). You will likely have to pay either 3k or 4k for it, depending on what it shows in your account right now, but no, you are not getting it for free because you purchased enhanced autopilot for 5k in 2018.

fast forwarding to now, I'm really wondering if I want to spend an additional $10k for the FSD capability. I understand that in the future this might be the number 1 selling feature, but right now I'm not too interested in it.

How many have ordered a M3 with FSD this year?

fast forwarding to now, I'm really wondering if I want to spend an additional $10k for the FSD capability. I understand that in the future this might be the number 1 selling feature, but right now I'm not too interested in it.

It is nice that they give you the option to purchase it later but I don’t see it as something that is a must have, perhaps it is more of a novelty than anything else. I enjoy driving, where I believe you must connect with your vehicle. Perhaps if they offered a partial FSD, where they gave you the parking features and the summons, I would’ve put down plopped down the extra cash but I don’t see it as being worth anywhere near the neighborhood of 8k extra.

I've ordered my M3 SR+ with FSD. Its my first model 3 so I figured why not? I do a lot of highway driving so auto lane change is going to be a big help since I'll be using autopilot/navigate on autopilot often. Plus with the $8000 incentive from the provincial and federal government, plus the $2500 that needs to be put down when ordering, the FSD is almost paid for with those two deductions from price to give you the financed amount (if you don't put anything else down)

I got it in my car MS 2017 75, bought it for 2000.00 at the time, to be honest I like being a beta tester, and I do hope to keep my car to see how the end product is. I believe it's going to cost around 10,000.00 for FSD down the line. I think we got a good deal. I really like using it too!

I've ordered my M3 SR+ with FSD. Its my first model 3 so I figured why not? I do a lot of highway driving so auto lane change is going to be a big help since I'll be using autopilot/navigate on autopilot often. Plus with the $8000 incentive from the provincial and federal government, plus the $2500 that needs to be put down when ordering, the FSD is almost paid for with those two deductions from price to give you the financed amount (if you don't put anything else down)
That might be the worst argument I've ever heard... "they're giving me a rebate, so I'll spend it all on buying something more, rather than treating it as a discount!"

That might be the worst argument I've ever heard... "they're giving me a rebate, so I'll spend it all on buying something more, rather than treating it as a discount!"

I mean if you’ve got the money then why not? Plus I’m a techy so going with all the bells and whistles sounds fun. Its the same when people ask should they buy a SR+ with FSD or a LR with no FSD, it’s what they can afford vs what they cannot. Why do those who buy ICE vehicles pay crazy amounts for random upgrades that many people think are useless? Because they want to and they can. In the end I can say that I received an incentive that ultimately covers my tax or say that it’s paid off a good chunk of the FSDs extra cost. That “discount” has made purchasing FSD feel like it’s not a big deal because in the end I’ve still saved $8000 on something.

I used my tax rebate 7500.00 to buy EAP on my 2017 MS75, and still had 2500.00 in my pocket, why not, got more car with it.

Exactly, in the end I paid a total of $2,600 for FSD. Sounds like a decent bargain for me. FSD is $10,600 in Canada. If it wasn’t spent on my car’s technology, it would just be spent on something else like new rims or something else.

Sorry to say, you are just not remembering correctly.
First, it's "Enhanced Autopilot", not Advanced.

It's a language thing. In the Netherlands it is called Advanced Autopilot, which literally translates to Advanced Autopilot.

Second, they sure as hell did offer FSD at the time. It was $3K, and gave you absolutely nothing except a future promise that is largely still unfulfilled.

Well, I'm absolutely sure that I checked every available option. FSD was not among them. In 2019 Tesla decided to make part of their safety options standard, calling this Basic Autopilot. All extra (enhanced or advanced) options were part of the FSD package. Moreover, all EAP options are now FSD options.

anyway you look at it, buying a car is never a good deal, you never come out ahead, so buy what you can, and have fun doing it and driving it. Buying a Tesla was the most fun I had buying a car. I love all the bells and whistles, and hope to get more. I paid $5000.00 to be a beta tester, that's nuts, so what.

Reactions: tche93
Yes, the name FSD did exist in 2018. It was an additional purchase ON TOP OF the $5k for enhanced autopilot, in 2018.

Not in Europe it wasn't. I still have all the paperwork and FSD is not there. All EAP options are included in the car though, so it's just juggling names.

Think about it this way; if I would buy exactly the same M3 today it would cost $88k here in The Netherlands. In 2018 I already paid more than $92k and with this upgrade it would be $97k. That's 9k more for exactly the same vehicle. How do you explain that?