Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why so few SW updates for my 2016 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my 2016 MS 5 years ago and still love driving it. I used to read a lot of TMC forum posts to keep up to date on things, but haven't been here for over a year now. So I'm wondering if the lack of software updates is due to the age of my car and Tesla isn't updating older cars very often. My current version is v10.2 (2020.48.37.8). I have no desire to update to a new Tesla, my car has only 20,000 miles, I've paid $0 over 5 years for charging since I have free lifetime use of Superchargers, and my car has had no maintenance done to it since I purchases it in Dec. 2016.

I bought my 2016 MS 5 years ago and still love driving it. I used to read a lot of TMC forum posts to keep up to date on things, but haven't been here for over a year now. So I'm wondering if the lack of software updates is due to the age of my car and Tesla isn't updating older cars very often. My current version is v10.2 (2020.48.37.8). I have no desire to update to a new Tesla, my car has only 20,000 miles, I've paid $0 over 5 years for charging since I have free lifetime use of Superchargers, and my car has had no maintenance done to it since I purchases it in Dec. 2016.
Welcome to the club! Same scenario for me as well 🙂

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Upvote 0
Fewer updates == fewer changes to hate. I love my 2015 just the way it is.
PS: To answer your question, yes, we're not a high priority. Tesla is more interested in selling us a new car than updating our old ones. It makes sense all around.

Upvote 0
Follow up question--I heard months ago that Tesla is required to replace a chip in a mandatory recall. I believe it has something to do with the center console screen. I haven't been contacted by Tesla and haven't heard any further news about it. Is there anything I need to do or is it just being patient until Tesla contacts me? Thanks!

Upvote 0
So I'm wondering if the lack of software updates is due to the age of my car and Tesla isn't updating older cars very often.
Yes. Specifically, your Nvidia Tegra MCU (17” center screen and computer) is not capable of running most of the recent enhancements and features, so Tesla is not releasing many updates for it any more.

If you want more updates and access to more new features, you can upgrade to the newer Intel-based version for $1500 or $2000 depending on when your 2016 was built and which autopilot computer you have.

Upvote 0
Follow up question--I heard months ago that Tesla is required to replace a chip in a mandatory recall. I believe it has something to do with the center console screen. I haven't been contacted by Tesla and haven't heard any further news about it. Is there anything I need to do or is it just being patient until Tesla contacts me? Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
Upvote 0
Thanks for the link. I verified that my car is part of the recall. But the recall date was Feb. 5, 2021 and I haven't been contacted yet. Typical Tesla-time I guess....

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Upvote 0
For those who might be interested or would like to compare to their situation, here are dates of all updates my December 2016 S has received since new. Updates are definitely arriving less frequently with the longest time between updates being 93 days which is how long I wanted for the most recent update 10.2 (2020.48.37.8)

Attachments

• 1updates.jpg
    1updates.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 482
Upvote 0
If you ever contact Tesla or are at one of their stores I would still mention it. Perhaps even allude to your "partner being scared to drive for fear of a breakdown". i.e. try to get on the "list".
Q. Do we know how many recalls roughly have been done for this?
i.e. is Telsa just waiting for the warning message to appear and then fixing them 1 by 1.

Upvote 0