Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why so many resell model S with less than 10k miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the release of some resales is good for TESLA and overall EV market. There are a lot of people who have not been able to reach the price tag. I want them to have a Tesla! Today a Signature P85+ at 16,000 miles is offered at $75,000 in Seattle. That's great. In WA, the purchaser will have to pay 9.5% sales tax, and will not get the $7500 Federal tax credit. Compare that to $89,625 of new car price without sales tax and with that tax credit. I would rather pay for a new car, but I have been blessed in many ways allowing me to buy a new car. I have followed the used market within 200 miles for over a year. I have no concern that people are dumping Teslas for any reason. Quite the opposite: I have been amazed at the lack of cars offered for resale, until the dual motor announcement.

I expect the Model S to be far more reliable than anything with an internal combustion engine and to last much, much longer. Perhaps, indefinitely.
Indefinitely is a bit hyperbolic, but I agree that the S should last longer than anything with an ICE. Unfortunately, I don't think that'll pan out given the problems the S has had, but if it does I'll be in line to buy a used model.

Last edited:
I don't think it's unusual to see Model S resales with under 15,000 miles -- after all, cars have only been on the road for two years. Assuming that few of those Rosales are Signatures, then you're probably talking cars with 18 months or less of drive time. Given that most people drive between 10-15k miles per year, the surprising thing would be finding Model S resales with upwards of 30k miles on them.

I don't think it's unusual to see Model S resales with under 15,000 miles -- after all, cars have only been on the road for two years. Assuming that few of those Rosales are Signatures, then you're probably talking cars with 18 months or less of drive time. Given that most people drive between 10-15k miles per year, the surprising thing would be finding Model S resales with upwards of 30k miles on them.
Seems like most people drive their Model S much more than other cars. I have 35,000 miles in 14 months. A trip to the store now averages 75 miles and a Sunday drive is over 400. It's just too fun to let it sit in the garage.!

@bighorn, I don't doubt that many of the people in this forum are piling up the miles just giving demo drives to their friends. I get my S85D in Fe rusty (hopefully) and put the 2015 over-under at 20,000 miles -- about twice what I currently drive.

Your concern about reliability is misplaced. The Model S is as reliable as high end gas powered car.

that's not saying much at all. whose to say that high end gas powered cars are reliable? my experience with that is the higher end I go with gas power cars the more problems I had and more expensive it was to fix. I also lemon'd a range rover just before I got my MS.