Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Tesla dont want us to purchase their cars? What we are doing wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel your pain.
I wish I had a means of helping, but I don't.

At least in my case, it was worth all the hassle and headache. I love my car. It is amazing and so much fun! The hassle I had sounds not quite as frustrating as it stands today, but still months later the taste in my mouth is so bad.

But as much as I love my car I'm starting to hate the company! They used to have a reputation of being best in class with service and customer support. They are the absolute worst now.

It could all be solved so easily if they just were able to communicate. Their saving grace is that their cars are fantastic. I'm pretty concerned about their long term viability when they have competition. Perhaps then, when they have to, they'll start caring about customer service again.

PS...
Alysashley is spot on about the plate. There are more Tesla cars sold in CA than anywhere else, but that doesn't mean they stay there. Tesla moves them all around. A car might have spent most it's life in CA but then it's shipped to (insert city here) and put in storage there. I don't know the rhyme or reason why they move them to where.

I know about that, I know about all problems people have with their cars, and we still want to get one, actually two !
But we need just one phone CALL or EMAIL from them ! Call that will give them our $100k !!!
I sincerely don't mean to pick on you BUT this is a prime example of people are willing to be mistreated just to get their hands on a Tesla.
As long as people are still buying their cars, Tesla got no reasons to change their behavior.

the showroom had many cars for me to look at, they were just pictures, and I did buy new, had to give them 2000.00 deposit, plus 1500.00 to ship it from Tenn. to Kansas City, the money was not refundable, I bought a car, that was 2 years ago, that part may have changed, but it was the best money I ever spent for a car, I love my Tesla.

1. Tesla is the only decent EV game in town (technology, EV drivetrain efficiency, range, long distance travel)
  2. They are NOT in the business of selling used cars, so its not something they care about.
  3. They are selling every single car they can make and you have to wait for a couple of weeks to get one.
Those 3 reasons are why they don't care about you or your money. :) Someone else will come along and buy the car you want and will put up with the Tesla attitude. :)

Once the legacy manufacturers have decent competition to Tesla products, then maybe Tesla will get better at other parts of the car manufacturing/selling business.

That's my 2 cents. I absolutely love my Model S and will never go back to an ICE vehicle ever again. Despite everything. I guess that makes me one of the Tesla cultists. I couldn't care less. My experience has been fantastic so far (both on the ownership side and service side).

Tesla does not do chit chat after an order is placed.

Behind the scenes they go about the business of sourcing your car, getting it delivered.

They do not really endure tire kickers, that want to look at lots of cars before making a decision.

Used cars sell rapidly and they constantly turn over. Hard to physically look at all those available. Need to kind of lock it down to one specific available model, and put down a deposit.

Kind of a take it or leave it kind of thing. No endless back and forth negotiations.

I think there's a really big difference between:
I'm really not sure if I really want one of these and I'm kicking the tires and will take lots of somebody's time before deciding
And
I want to buy a 75/85D. I have the money but I really want to at least see a real picture before putting down a $2k deposit. I sure as hell want to see it in person before spending $40k - $50k on a used vehicle. Maybe some details like, was it smoked in? Is it full of dog hair and french fries? Was any maintenance done to it? Any recalls?

You get none of that information from them. You don't have to buy the car if you don't like it or something's wrong, but you don't always get to transfer the deposit to another car.

Reactions: Battpower
FWIW....
I was told that I could transfer the $2k deposit to another vehicle, but it would have to be a big problem and would need managers approval. Basically they felt that the actual pictures should suffice, and that they showed enough for me to be fully informed.
Once I got to Vegas and saw my car in person, I was absolutely thrilled and had no complaints. Your mileage may vary

Tesla will not ship a used vehicle to a delivery center, just to let a prospective buyer take a look.

They need to have a firm order, with deposit, prior to shipping.

In some states, where Tesla does not have right to sell, you need to pay for your new or used car fully prior to shipment.

Alternative is to learn where your car is located, and travel there to take a look. Even then, they will want you to make a firm comittment prior to preping the car for delivery.

That alternative doesn't work, at least not ones being sold by Tesla.
I tried to do that.
There are dozens of Teslas in Las Vegas that the OP could go look at right now, but they are in a storage facility and there's nobody to let him go look.

Reactions: vegas888
That alternative doesn't work, at least not ones being sold by Tesla.
I tried to do that.
There are dozens of Teslas in Las Vegas that the OP could go look at right now, but they are in a storage facility and there's nobody to let him go look.

Another guy, wanting to look around at a Tesla storage lot, was asked to leave. They do not allow people to poke around the used, or inventory new cars.

Reactions: Battpower