Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Tesla roadster owners can't charge at new free station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is not throwing them under the bus. They bought the car without the promise of supercharging. I bought my 60 without supercharging, since there is only 1 location in my area and I almost never go by there. For $2000 I can buy a lot of electricity. If my situation changes, I can always add it. I agree they could put a paid charging station for Roadsters at supercharger locations, but free charging was never included in the purchase price. In fact, the paid station could be open to all EVs and the revenue help support the expansion of both EVs and superchargers. I would have gladly paid for a charge the one time I went by the supercharger on a trip.

Agree the cost should be minimal (in relation). I belive the Roadster can only accept 70amps.

The internal charger in a Roadster can only use 70A. The problem is that when a J1772 EVSE offers 80A, the Roadster refuses to charge at all, rather than using the 70A it can accept. If an MS with only a single charger is plugged into a J1772 or HPWC that offers 80A, it will only use the 40A that it is capable of accepting. A twin charger MS is use all 80A if it is offered.

The internal charger in a Roadster can only use 70A. The problem is that when a J1772 EVSE offers 80A, the Roadster refuses to charge at all, rather than using the 70A it can accept. If an MS with only a single charger is plugged into a J1772 or HPWC that offers 80A, it will only use the 40A that it is capable of accepting. A twin charger MS is use all 80A if it is offered.

I thought the Roadster could in theory accept 80A it is just as you said, there is an issue with the Roadster's software that doesn't recognize anything over about 70A and won't charge. I think if they fix the Roadster firmware it should be able to charge up to 80A in theory at least.

I thought the Roadster could in theory accept 80A it is just as you said, there is an issue with the Roadster's software that doesn't recognize anything over about 70A and won't charge. I think if they fix the Roadster firmware it should be able to charge up to 80A in theory at least.

Yes, but this problem was reported to Tesla ages ago. They haven't issued a firmware update for the Roadster in well over a year.

I don't think I've mentioned this before so I'll mention it now:

The titles of the original article and (thus) this thread are incorrect. Picking names not-really-out-of-a-hat-but-metaphorically so, I'm pretty sure ChadS and dsm363 (who both own Roadsters) have no problem charging their Model S vehicles at Supercharging stations.

There, I've said my peace. Moving on.