Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Tesla Will Fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um... no. Throwing parts at the problem is NEVER the best/recommended/only way to solve a problem. ESPECIALLY when the technician working on the vehicle is supposed to have access to factory diagnostic codes, equipment and procedures to root out the cause of the problem.

That's why I specifically said Your mileage may vary The standard and expected assumption is they will diagnose to the best of their ability. But something may actually need a part for it to be fixed in the end. "Throwing parts" is a meaningless phrase without context.

Agree 100%! The Portland Oregon service center is awful! They had my car for 5 days and failed to fix brake noise when autopilot brakes or fix the defective autopilot 2!

Context please? You get brake noise when autopilot brakes.. but no noise when you manually brake? I was unaware of two discrete brake systems in Tesla's. One for manual driving, and one for autopilot. Nice to know. :)

One can say AP2 is "defective" in the sense I can't take a nap while my car takes me from CA to NY but without context - no one can determine if your problem is specific to you or applies to all of us.

Last edited:
Agree 100%! The Portland Oregon service center is awful! They had my car for 5 days and failed to fix brake noise when autopilot brakes or fix the defective autopilot 2!
There are plenty of people on this forum who would disagree with you. Me. @Plan B . @Daniellane . And many more. I've had amazing service from that team, even when the problem was my fault.

I have had my 2017MS just about a year. Living in the central coast area of California my closest service centers are about 2 hours north or south. My first warranty repairs at the Santa Barbara Service Center didn't inspire much confidence. Several calls mostly unreturned, finally got the results I needed. I gave a LOT of constructive feedback when my satisfaction survey came. It was fairly easy because I learned a long time ago to be polite and keep a log of every call and contact with the company. You would be surprised at how attentive someone can be once you ask them how to spell their name and their location. Feedback with that level of detail will get better results. Don't yell at the person on the phone, most of the time they're doing the best they can. If I'm upset on the phone I try to make clear that I'm not angry at them, just frustrated. Most phone reps will work hard to help if you're not an ass.
Fast forward a year and the SB SC is like a different place. I get there at 8 and people swarm me to get my info and put me into a new MS. When I mentioned that I was hoping for a MX to let my wife see if it could fill the "SUV" functionality she so loves, they quickly swapped me into a new MX. I took off for home and got a message later that afternoon wanting to set up a time they could deliver my car to my house.
While I fundamentally agree that service is a weak point for Tesla, it seems to be improving quickly.
My takeaway, be diligent in calling when you don't get called as promised. Keep a log with dates, times and names. Write helpful feedback. If you can't do those things then perhaps you should buy an ICE from your local dealer.

Based on the comments I've been reading here since page 1 of this post AND based on my experiences with Tesla Service it appears that the Tesla Service experience is very dependent upon the work ethic in the region where the service center is located.
It also appears that the parts problem is pretty consistent in all regions.

A proper inventory management system in the parts department keeps a representative supply of parts on hand to cover nearly all issues. It cost far less to have a good inventory management system then to be shipping parts all and ending up with unhappy customers.

As for the service problems, in my region, sadly it hard to find dedicated employees who really care about providing good service. To them, it's just a pay check and they could give a #$%!* about Tesla the company and/or the customer. That reflects on the quality of service one receives.

Last year Tesla said it was reorganizing it's service centers and striving to improve the customer experience but sadly, when you have employees who don't give a damn, it's hard to make every service center run smoothly causing an inconsistent experience for the customer.

And by the way, in our region, it's rare to have a first class experience at a car dealership service center. It's hit or miss.

Omar and Stan do a great job. I have never had an issue with them. They are extremely responsive via email or phone call.

There was never an upstate NY mobile team (2.5 years experience), but Lo was dispatched from Rochester out of the Cleveland service center. I believe Chris (new mobile tech) is also out of Rochester but I could be mistaken, but gets dispatched out of a Connecticut service center

My buddy had a delay, but nothing outrageous. As soon as I mentioned to Stan that he can repair our handles the same day at my house he scheduled the repair quickly.

Reactions: Hank42
Tesla customer service in San Diego is terrible

I have found Tesla Service to be the worst automotive customer service I have ever experienced.
This includes recent experience with GMC and Ford.
Probably the best automotive customer experience has been with Convoy Auto, a small independent service center who deals with all brands, models and years.

The main area where Tesla falls short is in basic communication:
  • You can't call the San Diego center directly. You have to contact a call-center who screens you to determine if you are worthy of talking directly to the San Diego center.
  • Once you reach the San Diego center you do not have a single point of contact
    • You get a generic email contact or a generic text contact - who may or may not respond
    • Promised calls back to give you an update don’t happen
  • The work order is usually hand-written and you are not given a copy of it when you drop-off your Tesla for service
    • After the work is done you are emailed an invoice which may or may not agree with the items on the work order

Some of my experiences have included:
  • A service appointment was made but the work was not done because parts were not available. (This seems pretty basic for any service operation to check parts availability before scheduling a service appointment)
  • Roadside service was to add a note to my upcoming service appointment to address a bluetooth connection issue. This did not happen and Tesla service was unaware of the issue.
  • Mobile service arrived with the wrong parts for the repair.

It is amazing that a high tech company like Tesla has such poor customer service software. My veterinarian’s office has better customer service software and is much easier to deal with.

After dealing with Tesla service in San Diego for over a year, I see slight improvement, but the reality is that they still have a lot of improvement to make. This is not rocket science (SpaceX) it is vehicle maintenance.

To be honest, I can't fathom why someone at Tesla would promise to download your out of warranty vehicle logs over the air, analyze them and give you a call back. Since we both know that is unreasonable and doesn't make any sense, we shouldn't be expecting resolution on that no matter what we hear on the phone. If I was that person's manager I would be chastising them for setting impossible blue moon promises.

If they don't want to be asked/expected to do this (Which, they do, very often. I've watched Eric pull the logs from the car and looked over them myself), they should give us ACCESS to the tools to do it ourselves. I am more than willing to buy Tesla toolbox, but Tesla won't allow me to, so that leaves me with having to have the service center pull the logs and relay the information to me. I don't even need them to analyze it, I just want them to provide the information already stored on the car.

A normal car owned by a person like me would have a diagnostic that has a very well established standard of protocols on it that allows me to see any errors the various computers in the car may have stored. While the tools to access all of the information may cost a lot of money, they're available.

If Tesla would sell me the tools to do it, I'd do it myself and not expect anything from Tesla service.

There are plenty of people on this forum who would disagree with you. Me. @Plan B . @Daniellane . And many more. I've had amazing service from that team, even when the problem was my fault.
Yes I can corroborate Bonnie’s assessment of my sentiments regarding the Portland Service Center. They bend over backwards to minimize my level of inconvenience. They take all concerns seriously and are always professional & communicative. I have zero complaints about the Portland SC. Best service experience by far for all cars I’ve ever owned ncluding Lexus & Infinity.

• Love
Reactions: bonnie
This is why Tesla will fail -- not this year, not next year, but in a few years. It's just one story, but unfortunately it's representative.
QUOTE]

Neroden:

I'm in the same boat with my 2015 P90D. Many significant problems, parts take weeks to show up, and if more than 1 part is needed, they don't all show up at the same time, or they are the wrong part. Since Thanksgiving the drivers door handle has failed, the wiring harness for the airbag system failed disabling that system, and the heated seat cushion for the drivers seat was determined to never have worked, and the answer is an entirely new drivers seat, which they said would take 4 - 6 weeks to be delivered. I'm still waiting.

I am so disgusted with how this company is run and their support organization that I'm getting rid of the car shortly, despite my lease not being up until the end of September. I'm going to pay off all the remaining months in a lump sum, and go back to Mercedes. When you spend $120,000 for a car from them, you get treated like a customer, not a nuisance.

And, their cars have coat hooks.

I agree that the people at my local service center are great -- they try the best they can, they've been my advocate, but they are restricted by the policies and priorities of upper management.

If they don't want to be asked/expected to do this (Which, they do, very often. I've watched Eric pull the logs from the car and looked over them myself), they should give us ACCESS to the tools to do it ourselves. I am more than willing to buy Tesla toolbox, but Tesla won't allow me to, so that leaves me with having to have the service center pull the logs and relay the information to me. I don't even need them to analyze it, I just want them to provide the information already stored on the car.

A normal car owned by a person like me would have a diagnostic that has a very well established standard of protocols on it that allows me to see any errors the various computers in the car may have stored. While the tools to access all of the information may cost a lot of money, they're available.

If Tesla would sell me the tools to do it, I'd do it myself and not expect anything from Tesla service.

This makes me wonder what Tesla is doing in Massachusetts, where the Right To Repair law requires that Tesla dispense factory diagnostic procedures to independent repair facilities and car owners.

I can understand Tesla wanting to keep certain proprietary tech to themselves, but what's the harm in making available a service manual for things of a physical nature, like those confounded door handles? I can buy a complete CD-ROM factory repair manual from the Jaguar dealer for my XJ8. It's pricey, but it's available. And anyway, didn't Tesla make a big show about making all their patents available to anyone?

Teslas are electric, but they're not special. They're put together like any other car. They have Hyundai Genesis brake pads in the back. Anyone versed in a brake job could do it.

I ordered 1 hour access to their service manuals. They charged my card and sent me an auto response that I would get an activation link, or a password or something, which never came.

After several weeks of e-mailing different addresses, including the standard servicehelp-eu address with no response, I called my bank and claimed credit card fraud. Got the money back from the bank. Still haven't heard from Tesla, but I suppose their credit card reputation is getting a bit wonky. And that must feel great when people are trying to pay for luxury cars...

I can't do much but shake my head. I have a Model 3 reservation, and still confident that I will buy it, but I hope there is little or no problems with it, or my patience will blow up in someone's face:

My 2014 S85 has been in the shop 8 times. Probably they could have fixed it in 2 trips if they just did what they were supposed to on the first try. But I am not holding warranty screw-ups against them, it is worse with the paid service just before our long Europe road trip/vacation, where they
-didn't change the brake fluid
-didn't change the coolant
-didn't update the maps, so there was no route to most of the superchargers. Brussels service center could tell me that the maps were the original 2014 version from the factory.
-didn't change batteries in the keys, or actually somehow screwed them up, so the car locked us out, alarms went off, and it went bananas several times during the trip before we could get all this fixed in Brussels service center (who were awesome! probably because I was their only customer that week :))
-screwed up the the wheel alignment again, which I didn't ask for, and didn't know was included in the service. In total it's had alignments I think 6 times. When the car was new it was very unstable when accellerating, I complained and they fixed it, and it was perfect. After that, they have been screwing with the alignment many times without me asking for it, I always bring it back to complain, and they could never get it back to that perfect 1st alignment. I tried to complain recently, but the mechanic who drove it said it was normal. (However I need 2 lanes if the asphalt is worn (excaggerating a lot here, but it's frickin' annoying to have a super fast luxury car that has less precise steering than my dad's 1987 Fiat tractor with no-feedback hydraulic steering)
On the positive side, yes, they managed to change the HVAC air filter for 5000 NOK (or actually, I haven't checked that they did, maybe they didn't?)

I now have a pretty long backlog of warranty work that should be done some time soon before the warranty runs out, but I hate dealing with them so much that I am planning to just swap the car in for the 3 when it arrives. Then they can get a taste of their own shitty warrany work and alignment machine :)

I can also add to the list
- was yelled at by a sour old employee for parking where the receptionist told me to park. He didn't calm down when I explained that to him, but told me I was stupid for parking outside the marked spots, which were all full, and why I asked the receptionist where to park.
- drove a shitty mercedes (OK it was actually really good, C250 diesel, I liked it a lot, probably a lot less headache) for 2 weeks while my car was parked OUTSIDE the service center. Only the last they they took it in.
- was called telling me to come in on a friday, but they said they didn't have parts, so they couldn't work on it. they still wanted me to come in. I suggested I'd wait until they get the parts, where the person responded 'that's a GREAT idea!'
- tried to buy a roof rack for several months. every time I was in, the 'parts counter' was closed. so in the end I bought a service, to get the rack back with the car. they said they put it in the car, of course I believed them, and it wasn't. So I came back on a saturday, and the parts counter was closed again. I asked them if they could just look through the door of the workshop to see if my rack was standing along the wall, but they refused to do it.
- I gave up spending the rest of my referral prize money, becuase it was basically impossible without taking time off work in the middle of the week, since they refuse to sell you anything on saturdays.
- One time I came in to leave the car and go back to work with a loaner. This woman told me that I could not EXPECT to get a loaner every time, and she didn't have one. I was at a loss for words, and after thinking a second, I said I would have to take my car back to work then. She said OK. Then, she called me later the same day and said she had a loaner for me. (In Norway, loaner usually means a tiny rental Honda). So I left from work AGAIN, to pick up the loaner car. What I find a bit funny about this, is, before I bought the car they used to say that they would pick up the car at your workplace and leave a loaner, if you ever had a problem or needed service. Yeah right.
- Drove 120 km round-trips THREE times to pick up my winter tires to try to get new TPMS sensors. Story was something like this: 1. TPMS error. Swap receiver, and in-tire senders on the summer tires. Receptionist told me to come by 'any time' to deliver the winter tires to get new sensors in those as well. Drove 120 km to pick up those tires, tried to deliver them, recieved weird facial expressions (from the same person). Was gone for 30 minutes. Came back and said I have to have the tires on the car, in order for the sensors to calibrate/auto detect. I said that there is a button on the screen that does this, can't i just press it when the winter tires are on? Answer was, nope, come back when winter is here. So I did. And can you imagine how easy it was to get an appointment to do THAT? Can you imagine how hard it was to explain all this to somebody on the Tesla receptionist level??? Needless to say, I was there plenty of times. Also, I asked a few different people in Tesla if I would get a tire pressure reading in my screen after the upgrade, and they said no. Well, I have tire pressure readings now :)

And despite all this I still love the car!!?!?!?! Can you IMAGINE how good that car is !?!? I caught myself contemplating getting my own 4 wheel laser aligment machine, just so I can get the toe-in, caster, KPI and rear thrust angle that I want without having to deal with these clowns.

Add to that all the software bugs STILL PRESENT AFTER THE CAR HAS BEEN ON SALE FOR 6 YEARS. I am going to make a video of the bugs I've had, mirrors fold out only every other day, spotify sometimes plays only 2 songs, sometimes none, auto dimming screens was only fixed after FIVE years, I still have around 10 bugs I see from time to time that has NOT been fixed for as long as I've had the car, probably some of them were introduced during my ownership as well.

I am glad this thread exists, and I hope they pick up on it, and do something about it. Because once the competitors catch up (I mean they just have to stuff some laptop batteries in the floor, that idea was genius, but now everyone knows what to do if they choose to do it) Tesla will have a hard time keeping people if they treat them like they treated me. For me I suppose I will get the Model 3, but after that, it will be a BMW, Mercedes, or whichever other brand has managed to make a cool-ish fast-ish sedan. Or if the Tesla Pickup is super awesome I have to have that one, and I'll buy the laser machine and build my own canbus tools. I am already pretty well on my way with that last one, I have developed the 'Scan My Tesla' app.

Well, I don't know much about Tesla as we don't own one, BUT, my advice would be to NEVER, NOT EVER, buy a General Motors product. Don't even get me started.

I have a 2016 Tesla Model X 90 D 5 seater I live in Oregon. I have never had any problems with the
Well, I don't know much about Tesla as we don't own one, BUT, my advice would be to NEVER, NOT EVER, buy a General Motors product. Don't even get me started.

Tesla's service center or Tesla's mobile service.
This is why Tesla will fail -- not this year, not next year, but in a few years. It's just one story, but unfortunately it's representative.

Mid-december, the latch fails shut on my rear right door. I call up the service center I've been using to tell them that the latch is stuck shut (can't be opened from the inside or outside). They tell me that top management at Tesla (aka idiots) have told them they can't service my area any more and that I have to be directed to the "New York Mobile Service Team".

Now, there's no upstate NY service center. This is because Tesla top management (aka idiots) have *chosen* not to build one. It is legal for them to build one -- there is a limit on the number of stores, but no limit on the number of service centers. They are lying about this to their technicians, incidentally.

So, the service center I've been using refuses to make an appointment and says the NY mobile service team will call me. They refuse to give me the phone number for the NY mobile service team. They say they'll report my problem and order the part to be delivered to the NY mobile service team. I emphasize that it's the *latch*.

The NY mobile service team doesn't call me back after several weeks. I call the service center again and yell at them. This time I manage to get a phone number for the NY mobile service team. I call them. They say "our computer system says we tried to call you". They never tried to call me -- their computer system is lying. They say the parts came in a week ago (but they never bothered to call me....) I tell them *again* (since it's different people) that the problem is that the *latch* is stuck and ask them to make sure they have ordered the parts for the latch. "Omar" assures me that they have the parts for the latch. At this point, about four weeks after I first called, I am finally able to make an appointment. There is then a further delay because my schedule doesn't allow for an appointment in the next week (but would have in the earlier weeks which Tesla wasted).

Come today, the service tech shows up. He doesn't have the parts for the latch, because nobody ever wrote down that they were supposed to get the parts for the latch. Complete waste of time. I yell at the NY mobile service team guy (Omar), who lied to me, who now claims that the order regarding the stuck latch was never entered in his computer. I ask and he won't give me his manager's number. Or the number of the idiot in top management who ordered that we get all our mobile service through this idiot division. He says he'll talk to his manager -- we'll see.

This is par for the course with Tesla service. I have been dealing with this crap for five years, and it gets worse and worse every time. Meanwhile, the software team breaks basic functionality in updates (such as USB music playback).

This is going to kill the company. Not now, but as soon as there are other decent electric cars on the market -- ones where you can go to *independent service shops*.

They've had five years to fix this sort of crap and they've only made it worse. My advice to investors at this point is to hold on now, but dump the stock before 2020 if they don't fix the chronic and ever-worsening service problems.

It's not the bottom-line technicians. They're all fine. It's top management failure. There's no internal communications: information does not get passed from one person to another, and any one person who screws up the information ruins everything. The only way to get good service is to talk directly to the service tech who is going to do the work on your car. The only way to get a software bug fixed is to find the programmer who is responsible for fixing it. And Tesla does their best to *prevent* you from talking to the people you need to talk to.

Mid-december, the latch fails shut on my rear right door. I call up the service center I've been using to tell them that the latch is stuck shut (can't be opened from the inside or outside). They tell me that top management at Tesla (aka idiots) have told them they can't service my area any more and that I have to be directed to the "New York Mobile Service Team".

Now, there's no upstate NY service center. This is because Tesla top management (aka idiots) have *chosen* not to build one. It is legal for them to build one -- there is a limit on the number of stores, but no limit on the number of service centers. They are lying about this to their technicians, incidentally.

So, the service center I've been using refuses to make an appointment and says the NY mobile service team will call me. They refuse to give me the phone number for the NY mobile service team. They say they'll report my problem and order the part to be delivered to the NY mobile service team. I emphasize that it's the *latch*.

The NY mobile service team doesn't call me back after several weeks. I call the service center again and yell at them. This time I manage to get a phone number for the NY mobile service team. I call them. They say "our computer system says we tried to call you". They never tried to call me -- their computer system is lying. They say the parts came in a week ago (but they never bothered to call me....) I tell them *again* (since it's different people) that the problem is that the *latch* is stuck and ask them to make sure they have ordered the parts for the latch. "Omar" assures me that they have the parts for the latch. At this point, about four weeks after I first called, I am finally able to make an appointment. There is then a further delay because my schedule doesn't allow for an appointment in the next week (but would have in the earlier weeks which Tesla wasted).

Come today, the service tech shows up. He doesn't have the parts for the latch, because nobody ever wrote down that they were supposed to get the parts for the latch. Complete waste of time. I yell at the NY mobile service team guy (Omar), who lied to me, who now claims that the order regarding the stuck latch was never entered in his computer. I ask and he won't give me his manager's number. Or the number of the idiot in top management who ordered that we get all our mobile service through this idiot division. He says he'll talk to his manager -- we'll see.

This is par for the course with Tesla service. I have been dealing with this crap for five years, and it gets worse and worse every time. Meanwhile, the software team breaks basic functionality in updates (such as USB music playback).

This is going to kill the company. Not now, but as soon as there are other decent electric cars on the market -- ones where you can go to *independent service shops*.

They've had five years to fix this sort of crap and they've only made it worse. My advice to investors at this point is to hold on now, but dump the stock before 2020 if they don't fix the chronic and ever-worsening service problems.

It's not the bottom-line technicians. They're all fine. It's top management failure. There's no internal communications: information does not get passed from one person to another, and any one person who screws up the information ruins everything. The only way to get good service is to talk directly to the service tech who is going to do the work on your car. The only way to get a software bug fixed is to find the programmer who is responsible for fixing it. And Tesla does their best to *prevent* you from talking to the people you need to talk to.

Your problem is your state government. They won't let Tesla put a service center in New York State. I own a Tesla Model X 90D and have never had a problem with Tesla service center eemployes or Tesla Mobile Service.

You did read the part where he used to take his car TO the service center, right? Not asking for a new service center, wanting to keep using the same one he has been.

Yeah I drove a 2011 Tesla Roadster for 4 years, but in the last year it was in the shop (Columbus Ohio Service Center ) for 3 months out of the year, after they broke the heater, airconditioner and PEM (inverter module making the drive motor work). I kicked up such a fuss over this that the service center themselves broke major parts of the car that finally they sent a GOOD tech from GreenBay, Wisc to my house to replace everything. The first replacement PEM didn't work, so he came back 2 weeks later with another used one which finally worked. Bless Tony. hehe.. But then the Service Center was going to bill me for all the RANGER visits to Buffalo , New York, and that the initial problems had transpired within the warranty period and that Roadster Warranties are different in that there are NO ranger charges as there are with the "s"'s. I finally got the car in great condition and basically exchanged it for a brand new Caddy ELR which has been great - unheard of for a brand new model. Constant repair of door latches, etc would put me in the poorhouse. From reading everything here, apparently Tesla is even LESS concerned about current owners than they were when I was an owner.
I enjoy reading TMC comments because people here are sophisticated owners who can empathize with other owners having troubles. I can almost say this categorically, Say what you want about GM's piss-poor EV offerings, at least they will be made right in a timely matter as I've had only trivial problems with my 2017 Bolt and (purchased 2015) 2014 ELR.

Last edited:
I have 2 Teslas. One for 5 years, one for 1.5 years. The service has been great in my experience.

They recently replaced my touch screen at no charge on my 5 year old Model S. I mostly had the car picked up and taken to the service center, and they would loan me a performance model. Recently they said they do not do the pick up and delivery any more, and that is a disappointment. I loved the pick up and delivery service as a great convenience and a big time saver.

I used the roving service once and it was also great, good communication and good service at my home.

I remain a big Tesla fan, both the cars and the service. The autopilot is great under certain driving conditions (bumper to bumper traffic) but not so great on higher speed, narrow winding roads.

Model S 90D owner for 18 months. I love my car!

I've had a number of problems with a mixed bag of service experiences:

Three times I had the car in because the driver's window didn't fit right and there was wind noise. First time they replaced the glass, next two times they adjusted the angle of the window and the third time it was fixed. The provided a loaner each time.

Headlight buzz - they replaced the headlamp and it took a week but they provided a loaner so all good.

Center console would not fully open - They provided a loaner and fixed it the same day, wiring harness came loose. However, they didn't call me to tell me and eventually a week later I called to determine progress and they were pissed I'd had the loaner for a week. They wanted to charge me a huge fee for the loaner but I argued and they waived it. They didn't call and then they didn't try again or email me or anything so they could have done better there.

A few weeks later the center console would not stay open again. I called and complained about things not being fixed the first time and they sent a ranger out, first time they sent a ranger. Turned out I caused the problem by leaving a credit card on the console door and it slid in the back and got in the way. They didn't charge me and frankly I was impressed, plus 10 points for not making me feel like an idiot!

I think they want to do great work and are making strides and I know the Devon, PA service center works to do good.