Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why the Model 3 will replace my daughters Ford Fusion Hybrid with 45K miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Xenoilphobe

Jan 2, 2014
DC Swamp
Ted Britt Ford .jpg

I’m a fan of BG’s products. But damn. They are pushing it like it’s pure magic for everything, entirely unnecessary.

pricing for a 4 wheel alignment would make my old boss a very wealthy man if he charged that. I’m assuming this was at a dealership?

That car has a 4cyl right? Freaking $355 to swap out spark plugs on a inline 4 is hilarious unless I’m missing something.

Reactions: McMoo
I’m a fan of BG’s products. But damn. They are pushing it like it’s pure magic for everything, entirely unnecessary.

pricing for a 4 wheel alignment would make my old boss a very wealthy man if he charged that. I’m assuming this was at a dealership?

That car has a 4cyl right? Freaking $355 to swap out spark plugs on a inline 4 is hilarious unless I’m missing something.
Yeah its Ted Britt in Chantilly VA. BG does make good stuff, but damn is right. They never wash the car, we go once a year to get the state inspection/emission/full synthetic oil change ($124). These are the same guys who tried to sell me a battery last year, when it had a brand new 12V battery installed the week prior.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy

Must use the new exotic unobtainium plugs only made for a Ford Fusion @ $50 per plug, good thing its not a V12.

For me, there was never any value in a Hybrid for this very reason. But then I don't drive thousands of miles to make the gas savings worthwhile.
The only value that a Gas/Electric Hybrid had in NOVA, was the use of HOV lanes, which has now been forfeited due the expiration of that privilege. I won't be buying another one. However Teslas do quality for HOV plates.

Clean Special Fuel Plates & Vehicle Occupancy Requirements
Effective September 30, 2019, gas/electric hybrid vehicles displaying clean special fuel plates will no longer qualify for the HOV lane use exemption unless the required number of occupants are in the vehicles or the vehicles are qualifying plug-in electric vehicles.

Qualifying plug-in electric hybrids are determined based on federal law. For your vehicle to qualify, it must be included on this list. All other clean special fuel vehicles will continue to be eligible for the HOV lane use exemption until September 30, 2025.

Source: Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Last edited:
That bill brought back memories

Every 3-5 years I would DIY most of that maintenance on my Toyota Prius hybrid(s)

Plugs cost $32 for 100k miles
Throttle body cleaning was about 10 cents worth of carb cleaner
Tyre rotation was free
Coolant for two circuits was $32
Motor oil change was $20 per 10k miles
Transmission fluid swap: $30

I don't miss the work (although I did not really mind it, either) but I would not blame the car for the LOL dealership prices.

That bill brought back memories

Every 3-5 years I would DIY most of that maintenance on my Toyota Prius hybrid(s)

Plugs cost $32 for 100k miles
Throttle body cleaning was about 10 cents worth of carb cleaner
Tyre rotation was free
Coolant for two circuits was $32
Motor oil change was $20 per 10k miles
Transmission fluid swap: $30

I don't miss the work (although I did not really mind it, either) but I would not blame the car for the LOL dealership prices.

I used to do it too, until I realized my labor was about 3X what the dealer is charging and with 7 cars to maintain, 2 kids and lots of other stuff to do on the weekends, MEH... Its easier just to get rid of the car and pay a fixed cost for a lower maintenance vehicle like the 3, with better safety features, re-instating HOV privileges (traffic here sucks), etc.

Some of those items will need to be done on Tesla such as brake fluid flush/check at 2 years
I have an unused brake fluid test strip I bought for my Prius that I can test the Tesla brake fluid one of these years. Maybe in 2025 since I live in a dry climate and use the friction brakes so rarely. Or maybe never. As far as I am concerned the only maintenance on my Tesla are the brake caliper/pins and the coolant.

I have an unused brake fluid test strip I bought for my Prius that I can test the Tesla brake fluid one of these years. Maybe in 2025 since I live in a dry climate and use the friction brakes so rarely. Or maybe never. As far as I am concerned the only maintenance on my Tesla are the brake caliper/pins and the coolant.

nice. I assume like all other cars at certain mileage say 100-150K suspension needs to be looked at. Will need to find logs from teslaloop guys to see what they did.

• Helpful
Reactions: sperkin

Flush? No, it's not only not magic, it's useless! What is going to get into a brake line that would need flushing???

This would have been what, $2,100??? What a load of pure crap. The only things that might be useful are the plugs and balance/rotate which are dramatically overpriced.

I keep detailed records of car costs so I looked up our Prius that we bought new in 2004 and sold in 2014 after 175k miles.
Excluding tyres I spent $1100 for DIY repairs and maintenance. The ~ $100 of repairs included a windshield wiper nozzle and a gear selector. The total was inflated by my performing extensive maintenance and buying a new 12v for the car before sale. I wanted the new owner to have an almost maintenance free car for its next 5 years.

~ 0.63 pennies a mile.

Last edited: