Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why was the Model 3 not called the Model 4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Originally code-named "Tesla BlueStar" in Tesla's 2007 business plan, the Model 3 was to be Tesla's third vehicle.
Tesla: A Carmaker With Silicon Valley Spark

Somehow, the Model X squeezed in between the Model S and the Model 3 (initially intended to be named the Model E...E sort of looks like 3).

So, 1st, there's the Roadster, 2nd, the Model S, 3rd, the Model X, and 4th, the Model 3. Huh?

3rd generation. The X is technically based on the S chassis....so, they are both Gen 2 Teslas. The X is also a vehicle that wasn't in the original plan. Elon and team saw a market for a BEV SUV and adapted the S chassis to make one, thus continuing to fund "Bluestar".

Reactions: Xaff and bonnie
A little more naming confusion:

Tesla is using names, letters and numbers for their vehicle models.

The "Tesla Roadster" is pretty generic and descriptive. It makes you wonder what they will call a future roadster? Roadster 2"?
The "Model S" name is fine, but what will they call the next gen? They can't call it the "Model T".
The "Model X" sounds like an experimental car...and there's certainly a lot of experiment in them.
The "Model 3" may not have been the best choice of names. ("Model E" would have been okay, if they would have been allowed to use it). Yes, the Model 3 is Tesla's third "platform", but why not give it a sexy/provocative/descriptive/impactful name? There's still time....

Reactions: Lunarx
Originally code-named "Tesla BlueStar" in Tesla's 2007 business plan, the Model 3 was to be Tesla's third vehicle.
Tesla: A Carmaker With Silicon Valley Spark

Somehow, the Model X squeezed in between the Model S and the Model 3 (initially intended to be named the Model E...E sort of looks like 3).

So, 1st, there's the Roadster, 2nd, the Model S, 3rd, the Model X, and 4th, the Model 3. Huh?
So there are a few issues at play:

Tesla changed the name of their entry-level luxury car to Model 3 from Model E because Ford threatened. 3 and E are similar in modern text-speak.

Generations are based on chassis platform, not car line.

Generation 1 = Roadster chassis (Lotus)
Generation 2 = Model S / Model X ---> Same chassis, just sedan vs SUV. Think Subaru Impreza vs Forester.
Generation 3 = Model 3 / Model Y ---> Same chassis, just sedan vs SUV. Think Subaru Impreza vs Forester.
Generation 4 = Model 4 (economy car)

A little more naming confusion:
Yes, the Model 3 is Tesla's third "platform", but why not give it a sexy/provocative/descriptive/impactful name? There's still time....
Elon's idea was very "sexy." Model S, E, X, Y (SEXY).

SEXY and S3XY are basically the same.

I always thought the Model X was a crossover (SUV) between a mini-van and a Sedan, hence the X for cross and the model S for Sedan.

I get the Model 3 is the 3rd gen but i don't get the Y, shouldn't it be a H for Hatchback?

My personal opinion is that I don't think the original intention was to spell S3XY, it just happened to flow that way and now they are on board with it. If they had intended to do it in the first place then shouldn't the 3 be before the X... (just saying, i get that it was next with using the S platform.

And where does the roadster fit in, are they going to spell out "Roadster S3XY CAR" !?!

I always thought the Model X was a crossover (SUV) between a mini-van and a Sedan, hence the X for cross and the model S for Sedan.

I get the Model 3 is the 3rd gen but i don't get the Y, shouldn't it be a H for Hatchback?

My personal opinion is that I don't think the original intention was to spell S3XY, it just happened to flow that way and now they are on board with it. If they had intended to do it in the first place then shouldn't the 3 be before the X... (just saying, i get that it was next with using the S platform.

And where does the roadster fit in, are they going to spell out "Roadster S3XY CAR" !?!
The whole S3XY idea came out after the S/X had already been named and Tesla was brainstorming ideas. Before that, Model 3 was referred to as "Gen 3" or "Generation 3".

Remember, the name comes after the car has been planned for (not the other way around), so having it out of order doesn't come as a surprise.