TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Why was the Model 3 not called the Model 4?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Haxster, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Haxster

Haxster Member

Originally code-named "Tesla BlueStar" in Tesla's 2007 business plan, the Model 3 was to be Tesla's third vehicle.
    Tesla: A Carmaker With Silicon Valley Spark

Somehow, the Model X squeezed in between the Model S and the Model 3 (initially intended to be named the Model E...E sort of looks like 3).

So, 1st, there's the Roadster, 2nd, the Model S, 3rd, the Model X, and 4th, the Model 3. Huh?

2. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

3rd generation. The X is technically based on the S chassis....so, they are both Gen 2 Teslas. The X is also a vehicle that wasn't in the original plan. Elon and team saw a market for a BEV SUV and adapted the S chassis to make one, thus continuing to fund "Bluestar".

• Like x 2
  3. Craig9080

Craig9080 Member

Because they wanted to piss off BMW knowing that the shorthand would end up being M3?

4. pmadflyer

pmadflyer Member

Model X is still 2nd generation. They didn't originally plan on producing another car on the second generation platform. That's why Elon jokingly called the model x step 2.5 at the model 3 event. That's also probably why they let the x get delayed so much.

Edit: you guys are fast!

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Yes, Model 3 is third generation of tesla's EV technology.
    There might be model Y that will also be 3rd gen.

• Like x 1
  6. Haxster

Haxster Member

A little more naming confusion:

Tesla is using names, letters and numbers for their vehicle models.

The "Tesla Roadster" is pretty generic and descriptive. It makes you wonder what they will call a future roadster? Roadster 2"?
    The "Model S" name is fine, but what will they call the next gen? They can't call it the "Model T".
    The "Model X" sounds like an experimental car...and there's certainly a lot of experiment in them.
    The "Model 3" may not have been the best choice of names. ("Model E" would have been okay, if they would have been allowed to use it). Yes, the Model 3 is Tesla's third "platform", but why not give it a sexy/provocative/descriptive/impactful name? There's still time....

• Like x 1
  7. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Member

So there are a few issues at play:

Tesla changed the name of their entry-level luxury car to Model 3 from Model E because Ford threatened. 3 and E are similar in modern text-speak.

Generations are based on chassis platform, not car line.

Generation 1 = Roadster chassis (Lotus)
    Generation 2 = Model S / Model X ---> Same chassis, just sedan vs SUV. Think Subaru Impreza vs Forester.
    Generation 3 = Model 3 / Model Y ---> Same chassis, just sedan vs SUV. Think Subaru Impreza vs Forester.
    Generation 4 = Model 4 (economy car)

Elon's idea was very "sexy." Model S, E, X, Y (SEXY).

SEXY and S3XY are basically the same.

8. SR22pilot

SR22pilot Member

The 3 WAS originally the E so that you had models SEX. When Ford threatened to sue the E was changed to 3 and written with 3 horizontal bars so it could also look like an E. I expect the next model to be the Y. Blame Ford and give Tesla credit for being clever at working around Ford's threat.

• Informative x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  9. Gunn

Gunn Member

I always thought the Model X was a crossover (SUV) between a mini-van and a Sedan, hence the X for cross and the model S for Sedan.

I get the Model 3 is the 3rd gen but i don't get the Y, shouldn't it be a H for Hatchback?

My personal opinion is that I don't think the original intention was to spell S3XY, it just happened to flow that way and now they are on board with it. If they had intended to do it in the first place then shouldn't the 3 be before the X... (just saying, i get that it was next with using the S platform.

And where does the roadster fit in, are they going to spell out "Roadster S3XY CAR" !?!

10. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

The whole S3XY idea came out after the S/X had already been named and Tesla was brainstorming ideas. Before that, Model 3 was referred to as "Gen 3" or "Generation 3".

Remember, the name comes after the car has been planned for (not the other way around), so having it out of order doesn't come as a surprise.