Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi connection problems?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else have issues getting their 3 connected to wifi? I've extended my network out to the garage with ethernet and I've tried a couple of different access points (a Netgear and an Airport Express) but the car won't connect - it sees the network, prompts for the password, thinks about it for a while then says it can't connect and prompts for the password again. I'm pretty technical and I've tried everything I can think of:
- Two completely different access points
- Multiple different SSIDs
- WPA enabled and not (in addition to WPA2)
- Many new passwords (yes I'm sure I'm typing them correctly)
- 2.4 and 5 GHz each enabled/disabled

I'm starting to think my car might have a dodgy wifi chip. I've scoured all the threads I can find and there doesn't seem to be anyone with a similar issue - I don't have a Wink device on my network, the signal is excellent (AP is ~9 feet from the car). I'm stumped! AND I'm potentially missing out on v9! :)

So my WiFi just seems really weak. When the feature first came out I tried to pair my car and it could not pick up my home WiFi even though it is in an office right by my outside parking spot. I repositioned the car the other direction and it worked. But it has always seemed really weak on reception.

I asked the service center and they told me the antenna was in the Mirror. I do question if something is wrong with the antenna cable or something (pinched maybe).

Does anyone know more about where the chip and the antenna is?

Anyone had good or bad experiences they can share?

Thanks!

Not sure it applies to the Model 3, but I have not been able to connect my Model X to my Netgear Nighthawk R8500 for 2.5 years now. I tried adding a Netgear Extender (EX6120), and still nothing. Two things I have read in other threads may help. Someone wrote that the WiFi antenna in the Tesla is in the passenger side of the rearview mirror and sadly it works best if the WiFi router is located on the passenger side. That was not my problem, I'm just passing that on.

What finally has worked for me was setting up a 2.4GHz Guest Network with just the Tesla connected. According to other threads I have read, apparently having DLNA devices connected on the WiFi router somehow makes it incompatible with whatever WiFi chipset that Tesla used in the X and S. Not sure if that applies to the Model 3 but I was so excited to finally get WiFi connection in my X I had to tell someone. :)

Maybe now that I am connected to WiFi Tesla will push V 9.0 to my now ancient X. One can always hope.

Reactions: eprosenx
Thanks for the responses including the IT Crowd - I love it! Actually I did try a couple of reboots but not joy, however I think I have sorted it...

It does seem like it's related to what you said @madodel - something to do with devices on the network that disrupt the 3s ability to connect. Using my guest network didn't fix it but what did work was re-configuring the garage access point to issue its own IP addresses via DHCP in a different range from my main network - this seems to have sorted it immediately. Clearly there is something (Xbox? Amazon Echo?) on the main network that the Tesla doesn't like, maybe DLNA. I can't help feeling this is really a Tesla issue though - the many other devices on the network are just fine.

Anyway, I figured I'd loop back with a solution for anyone else going through this.

I remember a post a few years ago that someone found there was a range of IP addresses assigned by some routers that wouldn't work for the Model S. Search the archives for the details.

Yeah I know the posts you mean but it’s not that same conflict - it’s definitely just something on my main (192.168.2.x) network that it doesn’t like.

My M3 has a very weak WIFI signal and I had to mount the antenna right above the car to get signal. I have a MS that has 80% and the M3 has 16% signal. Tesla came and replaced the antenna which is in the roof lining near the lights and signal was still low. Issue has been escalated.

My M3 has a very weak WIFI signal and I had to mount the antenna right above the car to get signal. I have a MS that has 80% and the M3 has 16% signal. Tesla came and replaced the antenna which is in the roof lining near the lights and signal was still low. Issue has been escalated.

How do you get signal percentages?

This sounds like what is going on with me.

but what did work was re-configuring the garage access point to issue its own IP addresses via DHCP in a different range from my main network - this seems to have sorted it immediately.

Based on what you said, something else to try. On some routers you can specify how many IP's your DHCP will give out, maybe you're over that limit and your M3 simply cant grab a new IP. 5Ghz network doesnt seem to work with M3, at least it didnt with my super-compatible-with-everything Ubiquiti AP's.

Based on what you said, something else to try. On some routers you can specify how many IP's your DHCP will give out, maybe you're over that limit and your M3 simply cant grab a new IP. 5Ghz network doesnt seem to work with M3, at least it didnt with my super-compatible-with-everything Ubiquiti AP's.

Another strange aspect when it wasn’t working is I could see it got an IP address from DHCP on my main network, it just never kept the connection. It’s like it connected and didn’t like something on the network - the DLNA thing sounds most likely.

I tried two older b/g routers (D-Link Dir-605L & Belkin F9K1001V4) and the SR+ wouldn't even recognize them. It would connect to my iPhone7 hotspot so I knew wifi was working. I picked up a refurbished TP-Link AC1750 and it connected immediately to the 5GHz connection. Note that it even worked with no wifi security at all.