Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi drops as soon as car turns off - can't stay connected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't seem to get any updates for two months so I've been trying to figure out whats up. I can sit in the car, connect to wi-fi, and confirm that I have internet connectivity (not great but 3mbps and 3 bars). I have energy savings off and stay connected on. BUT, as soon as I walk away from the car and the display shuts down, the car drops the wifi connection and goes back to LTE.

How do I stay connected ??

TIA

Call 1 (877) 798-3752 and press 2 then 1 (I'm assuming you're in the US given your profile info). Ask them if there are any errors related to either firmware or maps updates and they can tell you what's wrong. I've had issues from VPN handshake errors to unpacking. Usually the solution is to reset the IC, wait until it boots up and then reset the MCU. Worst case is the hard reset which requires a brake press while resetting the MCU.

I've found if you connect to WiFi while in Park, it will often drop when you shift to Drive. If you connect when in Drive, it will often disconnect when you shift to Park. All bets are off if you walk away from the car - maybe signal strength plays into it.

If the car is parked or "off" and it determines it is queued up for an update, then it will stay connected until it's done downloading.

But @jdw is right, it will disconnect if you change gears which makes sense. You're going to eventually disconnect from Wi-Fi when you drive away from it.

It makes sense to disconnect the WiFi if it is fixed and external, not so much if you're using your phone or other portable unit to compensate for the broken Tunein/Slacker functionality over LTE.