Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi Garage Door Opener Support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That tweet was in reference to "Wifi Enabled Garage Door Opener" support, which he did release. It's called MyQ. Tesla is just consuming they MyQ APIs and they don't control the cost of those. It's unfortunate, but MyQ is the only solution out there unless you build your own DIY solution.

As for buying any new hardware, I think all new garage openers from 2019 included MyQ, and for older ones that only supported the HomeLink solution, you do need to add MyQ. Since HomeLink is IP, it's not free (In 2013, Johnson Control sold to Gentex, I believe), and there has be no additional standard that I know of.

The Chamberlain group went ahead and purchased most if not all of the garage door competitors (LiftMaster, Raynor, Craftsman plus Clicker) so there is not much competition out there. I think it's either MyQ or you need to figure out your own DIY solution.

I think what everyone is interested in, if he plans to give all legacy Model S/X owners the same MyQ feature as he did with MCU/3 in some future 2023 release of the software. Can't be that difficult I believe.

I have a Genie model 2128 opener enabled by an Aladdin app over wifi. I have not found a way to make it work with the Tesla other than to buy the Smart Garage® Control model MYQ-G0401-ESMC as suggested by the myQ website. This gives me no new functionality as I already have a wifi enabled functioning garage door opener. I use a phone app or a remote control. All this does is enable me to use myQ prorprietary system to talk the the Tesla OS. Unless you know of another way? Source: https://www.myq.com/app/myq-compatibility

I think what everyone is interested in, if he plans to give all legacy Model S/X owners the same MyQ feature as he did with MCU/3 in some future 2023 release of the software. Can't be that difficult I believe.
I’d by the MyQ service if this happened.

No, there isn’t going to be generic wifi garage door support as there is no such thing. There are a handful of point products but nothing that would be worth teslas time (imho).

One more option, Visit the Tesla Shop to purchase HomeLink® for Model 3 and Model Y. Pricing includes shipment to your preferred Tesla Service Center and installation. You can also purchase HomeLink® at your local Service Center. Source: Automatic Garage Opener - HomeLink | Tesla Support. There is a one time $350 HW/Installation fee (used to be included), but no subscription. I have learned way more about automated garage door openers than I ever thought possible. All of this to save opening a phone app and clicking an icon. 🙂