Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi Hotspot Install Location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Netgear Mingle turns on when power is applied...you have to push the button on the Alcatel.

THANK YOU! I wanted a hotspot modem that will turn on automatically when the power is supplied/started from a "switched" power source (eliminating the need to press the power button each time).

Great to know that the Netgear Mingle does that. I did find a its user manual online, and this unit does have a power on/off button though. Do you need to take the battery OUT for this auto power on to happen? I thought I saw somewhere on taking the battery out...

THANK YOU! I wanted a hotspot modem that will turn on automatically when the power is supplied/started from a "switched" power source (eliminating the need to press the power button each time).

Great to know that the Netgear Mingle does that. I did find a its user manual online, and this unit does have a power on/off button though. Do you need to take the battery OUT for this auto power on to happen? I thought I saw somewhere on taking the battery out...

Nope...it doesn’t even work well with the battery removed

I plan on powering my Blackvue via the OBD port
I am looking for a 12V power source for a wireless rear view camera that I am installing on a camper trailer, the wireless in-car receiver that connects via cable to the camera display monitor needs 12V. Did you end up powering your Blackvue using the OBD port and if so what kind of plug did you buy to connect to the power cable coming from the Blackvue?

Looks like I could use something like this by cutting off the cigarette light plug end and splicing it to my in-car receiving power cable: https://www.amazon.com/AUTOOL-Emerg...d=1524432394&sr=1-6&keywords=obd2+power+cable

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I am looking for a 12V power source for a wireless rear view camera that I am installing on a camper trailer, the wireless in-car receiver that connects via cable to the camera display monitor needs 12V. Did you end up powering your Blackvue using the OBD port and if so what kind of plug did you buy to connect to the power cable coming from the Blackvue?

Looks like I could use something like this by cutting off the cigarette light plug end and splicing it to my in-car receiving power cable: https://www.amazon.com/AUTOOL-Emerg...d=1524432394&sr=1-6&keywords=obd2+power+cable

Thanks for your help.
I used the trailer adapter - OBD Port splice did not work (in my Tesla nor my wife’s Audi - I suspect a bad adapter).

Trailer adapter was simple and easy, allowed me to tuck up and keep the cigarette adapter splitter and wifi hotspot within the dash (opened the side of the dash up and had plenty of room there - Velcro allowed me to stick the hotspot in there keeping it stable).

Reactions: onlinespending
I got a FreedomPop one - make sure you downgrade the plan to the “free 500 MB” plan - I don’t sue the wifi enough to come near the 500 MB (I’ve turned off most alerts on the BlackVue) but I can look at the camera online every now again. Videos I want I either download via the BlackVue Wifi to my phone or just bring in the chip to my computer.

Hotspot cost me $10 plus a $15 one time “reserve” if I go over on data....

Nothing else monthly.

IT is on the Sprint 4G network - not great but for the purpose perfect.

I got a FreedomPop one - make sure you downgrade the plan to the “free 500 MB” plan - I don’t sue the wifi enough to come near the 500 MB (I’ve turned off most alerts on the BlackVue) but I can look at the camera online every now again. Videos I want I either download via the BlackVue Wifi to my phone or just bring in the chip to my computer.

Hotspot cost me $10 plus a $15 one time “reserve” if I go over on data....

Nothing else monthly.

IT is on the Sprint 4G network - not great but for the purpose perfect.
Thanks. Do you have a link for the product? Is the 1GB/month no longer available?