Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi issues and knocking sounds from front

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, picked up the M3 in November last year, very much enjoying it. Issues though, car will only connect to WiFi if I plug in an extender next to the car, sometimes it picks up the hotspot on the iPhone but not always. The WiFi signal is ok where the car is and the phone picks it up without an issue. Brought it into Tesla a month ago who weren't able to see an issue and basically said 'tough luck live with it'.

Now the car has developed a knocking sound whilst turning coming from the front wheels, quite loud and notchy. Just contacted my branch to get the car looked at however they are not willing to give me a courtesy car. Apparently my service 'does not qualify' for one but the car is my only one and used for work, so not ideal to have the chauffer option they have suggested.

Anyone else had these issues and then the further one with the courtesy car?

First question: Have you set up a service appointment. Could be the WiFi antenna or another networking issue within the tech. As for the knocking, did you recall hitting anything? They would have to put it up on the lift, I would imagine. But I would definitely get it into service as soon as possible.

Hi, picked up the M3 in November last year, very much enjoying it. Issues though, car will only connect to WiFi if I plug in an extender next to the car, sometimes it picks up the hotspot on the iPhone but not always. The WiFi signal is ok where the car is and the phone picks it up without an issue. Brought it into Tesla a month ago who weren't able to see an issue and basically said 'tough luck live with it'.

Now the car has developed a knocking sound whilst turning coming from the front wheels, quite loud and notchy. Just contacted my branch to get the car looked at however they are not willing to give me a courtesy car. Apparently my service 'does not qualify' for one but the car is my only one and used for work, so not ideal to have the chauffer option they have suggested.

Anyone else had these issues and then the further one with the courtesy car?

Yes, everyone has that issue with "the courtesy car" as that depends on whether they have one available, and what service it is. Tesla does not offer a loaner car for all services. You will need to either re schedule the appointment to when tesla is able to provide you a loaner car, make other car arrangements, or take time off work to deal with it.

I’ve had Wi-Fi issues since the last two updates or so. Can’t manually connect to my home Wi-Fi where the router is literally in the garage next to the car. Have to let it sit for a few minutes and it’ll connect when it’s sleeping <shrug> It’ll connect to my phone hotspot no problem though.

So 3 months on, still no fix from Tesla. They'll happily make an appointment but then cancel it shortly after. Pretty shocking service from them really, despite several calls and bookings. I don't believe any other manufacturer would make someone wait several months for a non semi conductor related part. Probably just needs someone to put it on a ramp and tighten things up, unlikely anything has broken in such a short space of time. They've officially given up on the Wi-Fi issue though, any other device out in the same spot picks up both my routers, not the M3 though but still apparently may not be the fault of the car according to them. Rather silly conversation really.