Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi Router chatter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Different phones, though the biggest culprate and worst wifi reception is an iPhone X (two of then, both are horrible for WiFi). Had to add an access point to the house for them because they didn't work on 5G where other Android and older iPhones did just fine.

2.4GHz is really crowded where I live, hence the desire to stay on 5GHz. Secondary reason, max bandwidth is lower on 2.4G (about 30Mbps).

Yes but do you notice a problem if the phone is on 2.4 ghz?

Is getting 30mbit vs 200mbit not a problem? :)

The worst part too is that also needlessly clogs up 2.4GHz and deprives bandwidth from 2.4GHz-only devices.

Band steering has its place.... bad implementations of it should not be a reason to dislike the technique itself.

Plus iOS devices support 802.11v BTM so APs should really be using BSS transition advisements instead to suggest a specific BSSID.

Is getting 30mbit vs 200mbit not a problem? :)

The worst part too is that also needlessly clogs up 2.4GHz and deprives bandwidth from 2.4GHz-only devices.

Band steering has its place.... bad implementations of it should not be a reason to dislike the technique itself.

Plus iOS devices support 802.11v BTM so APs should really be using BSS transition advisements instead to suggest a specific BSSID.

Well, that why I asked. I mean, sometimes the engineers in us try to optimize things too far. Of course you'd like all your newer devices to get onto and stay onto the 5 Ghz band, but in the real world, when doing things like web browsing and downloading the occasional app, can you really tell the difference?

I just did a check, and two of my iPhones had gone onto the 2 .4 Ghz band. So I did a speedtest on the iPhone X. And got my maximum rated Internet download speed (I'm stuck with a 30 Mbps link, don't ask!). At 30 Mbps on 2.4 Ghz, I really don't notice any issues.

So that's why I'm curious if anyone else has noticed lagging or effects of 2.4 Ghz congestion when actually using their phones.

I'm just very conservative when it comes to using advanced networking features. I've come to have a very dim view of software programmers who really don't have the expertise to do networking programming correctly. Network programming is very difficult because you have to be compatible with a very wide range of other incorrectly programmed network code.

I even turned off the advanced roaming features because my tests showed the Ubiquiti code had some bad bugs/incompatibility with iPhones. I'll have to retest to see if the latest firmware has fixed that particular issue.

Sometimes. If microwave goes on, it loses connectivity (it thinks it's connected but it's not). Occasionally also randomly connection stops or slows to a crawl (possibly neighbor has a microwave going or the fact that I can pick up 50+ other access points on 2.4GHz) - not in all locations of the house, but happens. App downloads are noticeably faster on 5GHz too.

For the microwave, make sure your AP(s) near the microwave are using channel 1. It's the only 2.4 ghz channel that doesn't get microwave oven interference.
2.4GHz spectrum is packed, with people configuring 40 MHz channels and in various overlapping channels. Problems are always intermittent, which makes sense with so many devices sharing the spectrum. I just stay away from it where I can. With 3 APs I have the entire house, driveway and backyard covered for 5GHz. Only the cars have a single AP, 2.4GHz isolated network.

Has anyone tried to sniff the packets of the Tesla going over WiFi? I have a Mac and I downloaded an app WireShark and another CoCoPacketAnalyzer, but I am having trouble figuring out how to see what is being communicated to my car

-Randy

Has anyone tried to sniff the packets of the Tesla going over WiFi? I have a Mac and I downloaded an app WireShark and another CoCoPacketAnalyzer, but I am having trouble figuring out how to see what is being communicated to my car

Yeah a lot of us have tried. :)

Your Mac is not likely to be able to see the packets going over the WiFi. You could try capturing packets at the router, if your router presents that functionality. But even if you get that, a lot of the interesting stuff between the cars and the back-end server(s) at Tesla go over an encrypted VPN (it appears to be OpenVPN). Getting those packets is not easily done without root access on the car (and maybe not even then). I haven't played with this for awhile, so it's possible that some recent changes might have obsoleted what I wrote above.

Bruce.

For those who like to geek-out on their wifi setup, here is an interesting article:
What I’ve learned from nearly three years of enterprise Wi-Fi at home
While I can absolutely relate to this guy, I'd like to think I cut off some of the dead ends he went down on with my "it works and it's good enough" practicality attitude (for example, I removed guest network login page after an hour - before the very first guest ever connected to it, realizing how much hassle it will be for my guests and my kid's friends - it's so much easier to give them the password once and they just reconnect automatically whenever visiting).

Yeah a lot of us have tried. :)

Your Mac is not likely to be able to see the packets going over the WiFi. You could try capturing packets at the router, if your router presents that functionality. But even if you get that, a lot of the interesting stuff between the cars and the back-end server(s) at Tesla go over an encrypted VPN (it appears to be OpenVPN). Getting those packets is not easily done without root access on the car (and maybe not even then). I haven't played with this for awhile, so it's possible that some recent changes might have obsoleted what I wrote above.

Bruce.
Can can sniff WiFi with wireshark but have to get an adapter which supports monitor mode, for example from this list. More on that topic:
How to capture WiFi traffic using Wireshark on Windows

For those who like to geek-out on their wifi setup, here is an interesting article:
While I can absolutely relate to this guy, I'd like to think I cut off some of the dead ends he went down on with my "it works and it's good enough" practicality attitude (for example, I removed guest network login page after an hour - before the very first guest ever connected to it, realizing how much hassle it will be for my guests and my kid's friends - it's so much easier to give them the password once and they just reconnect automatically whenever visiting).

Yeah, just because a piece of equipment has a feature, doesn’t mean you should use it. I absolutely hate guest portals. The only reason for them is to force users to agree to a legal useage agreement that no one reads. It is just corporate ass covering in case someone does something illegal on your hotspot.

I havent read the article yet, thanks for the link, but I did notice he has a 10 Gbps home network. Seriously? Sigh.

Yeah, just because a piece of equipment has a feature, doesn’t mean you should use it. I absolutely hate guest portals. The only reason for them is to force users to agree to a legal useage agreement that no one reads. It is just corporate ass covering in case someone does something illegal on your hotspot.

I havent read the article yet, thanks for the link, but I did notice he has a 10 Gbps home network. Seriously? Sigh.
I occasionally (like tonight coincidentally) could use something faster than 1Gb - mostly when copying large videos of kids events and stuff - GbE is definitely the bottleneck for those - could fill up 5Gbps, maybe more since I loaded the file server with 64GB or RAM, so most 5-10GB videos would write into RAM cache while draining down to the SSD RAID at 300-400MB/s. My PC already has a 10Gbps adapter built-in already, just all my switches are still 1Gbps, for now. 10Gbps network would also help the nightly PC backup speeds (all family PC's backup to the server daily). All that said, it isn't a pain-point large enough for me to address, yet.

I occasionally (like tonight coincidentally) could use something faster than 1Gb - mostly when copying large videos of kids events and stuff - GbE is definitely the bottleneck for those - could fill up 5Gbps, maybe more since I loaded the file server with 64GB or RAM, so most 5-10GB videos would write into RAM cache while draining down to the SSD RAID at 300-400MB/s. My PC already has a 10Gbps adapter built-in already, just all my switches are still 1Gbps, for now. 10Gbps network would also help the nightly PC backup speeds (all family PC's backup to the server daily). All that said, it isn't a pain-point large enough for me to address, yet.

Coincidentally I had this thought recently as well...I was migrating some data between fileservers at home and the transfer looked fast enough to actually saturate the 1Gbps links that make up my wired network. The newer of the two servers has a couple of 10Gbps ports in addition to the 1Gbps, but I don't have any 10Gbps switch ports. Also I'm not sure how much more I can push the wiring in my house...when we bought the place, the former owner only had a 10Mbps switch (or maybe it was a hub, I don't remember) in the wiring closet.

I just read that article again. It's fun for the sheer overboard-ness of it!

Like you and @Cosmacelf I'm of the "just give them the SSID and password" sort nowadays, because if I do the captive portal thing at my house and it doesn't work, guess who gets to fix it? ;)

Bruce.

I just read that article again. It's fun for the sheer overboard-ness of it!
It hits home because I've been close, so can relate. It makes me feel better knowing I could have gone crazier, but didn't.

Like you and @Cosmacelf I'm of the "just give them the SSID and password" sort nowadays, because if I do the captive portal thing at my house and it doesn't work, guess who gets to fix it? ;)
For me it was the hassle to my guests. Even hotels I stay at have removed the guest portal (possibly remember my MAC address from prior visits?) - I remember how I used to hate having my internet interrupted every 24hrs to sign in to the portal. Now, I arrive, turn on my computer and it's online without any portals. It is the better way.

PS> From a security point of view, having a portal on an open wifi does open more attack vectors (e.g. exploiting any vulnerabilities in the portal server). Setting up a portal on a password secured WiFi just seems redundant, unless you're making money selling access to it.

Ok, so I’ve finally read the entire article. Nicely done, lots of interesting info. Coincidentally, I recently made my own WiFi primer on my web site for our local community. I think it is also a good read, different emphasis, etc.

WiFi best practices for high speed connectivity.

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark
It took NINE XFI Pods to get WiFi to my garage but I was finally able to get what I needed. Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I now am able to get updates via WiFi in my garage.
How far is your garage? If there is power available for all nine, could you just use an ethernet over powerlines to a dedicated wifi AP in the garage? Nine just sounds complex (more thing which can fail) and a little power hungry too (9 AP's * 5W is 45W, so 32KWh per month (~$3.5 of electricity where I live, as much as $9 in other places in the USA).