Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi Router chatter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Orbi officially downgraded their own firmware admitting connectivity issues with the 2.1 firmware and are holding all new customers at 2.0 firmware and advising those with connectivity issues to downgrade. We have has some issues with iOS devices connecting and losing internet connection while connected, but limited to iPhones generally and fixable by disconnecting and reconnecting.

Yeah, more details on the Orbi subreddit. If the current software is working, no need to change. If it’s causing issues, go back to the one on the website.

I’ve been using it for three months with no issues but it depends on your use case. I only use Orbi in AP mode with one satellite.

Question for you networking gurus...
I’ve got Xfinity internet with 180Mb service. I’m using the Xfinity provided wireless router that provides both 2.4 and 5 networks. I would like to add APs in a couple places including the garage to have better WiFi coverage. Should I turn off the WiFi on the Xfinity box and go with other APs or leave it on? Other? What would be the best solution?

I’ve got Xfinity internet with 180Mb service. I’m using the Xfinity provided wireless router that provides both 2.4 and 5 networks. I would like to add APs in a couple places including the garage to have better WiFi coverage. Should I turn off the WiFi on the Xfinity box and go with other APs or leave it on? Other? What would be the best solution?

i'm no guru, but I'd say turn the xfinity provided wifi off and get a MESH system like google wifi, eero or Orbi. I have the latter 3 router system from costco and it helped get me good coverage into the garage which is on the other side of the house from the cable router

Do you have wired Ethernet cables going to these other locations, or were you thinking of linking these other locations via wireless links? If the latter, then pick a mesh solution like Google, Orbi, etc.

Do you have wired Ethernet cables going to these other locations, or were you thinking of linking these other locations via wireless links? If the latter, then pick a mesh solution like Google, Orbi, etc.
No wired Ethernet. :( I do have a powerline adapter that I’m using to get wired access to my entertainment system. Only get a fraction of the total speed but it works well enough. Sometimes they stop working and I have to unplug the adapters and then plug them back in to get them to start working again.

I’ll check out the Google, Orbi, or Eero options.

No wired Ethernet. :( I do have a powerline adapter that I’m using to get wired access to my entertainment system. Only get a fraction of the total speed but it works well enough. Sometimes they stop working and I have to unplug the adapters and then plug them back in to get them to start working again.

I’ll check out the Google, Orbi, or Eero options.

The mesh WiFi access point systems that in vogue these days work really well when you stay within what they are designed for.

Pros:

Relatively easy to set up. Turn off your internet router’s WiFi, plug the main mesh access point into the Internet router and don’t plug anything else directly into the router. This last point is key. The systems typically want all internet traffic to flow through the WiFi access point. This is how they implement reliable guest WiFi network, etc.

Provides decent internet speeds for people that have up, say, a 200 Mb/s Internet connection. I’ve found that the google WiFi at least has very strong WiFi.

The access points tend to be small and unobtrusive so you can buy a few extra and spread them around your house for rock solid coverage.

Cons:

You won’t get full speed if you have a gigabit internet connection, but then not many people do.

If you already have an extensive wired system in place, the mesh networks typically don’t play well with such a system.

Special cases such as wanting to allow a guest access to only certain devices on your network won’t work with a mesh.

Does anyone have any experience with this Ubiquiti outdoor access point? Ubiquiti Networks - UniFi® AP Outdoor

I park outside and due to the orientation I need to be in to charge, my passenger side mirror is directly away from the house. As a result I get pretty lousy reception.

As a test I setup an old Netgear AP outside my front door and I get a decent signal. But as soon as I move it inside, even if its sitting on a window sill pointed directly at the car, the signal drops off precipitously.

The price on this outdoor unit seems decent ($135) on Amazon.

Does anyone have any experience with this Ubiquiti outdoor access point? Ubiquiti Networks - UniFi® AP Outdoor

I park outside and due to the orientation I need to be in to charge, my passenger side mirror is directly away from the house. As a result I get pretty lousy reception.

As a test I setup an old Netgear AP outside my front door and I get a decent signal. But as soon as I move it inside, even if its sitting on a window sill pointed directly at the car, the signal drops off precipitously.

The price on this outdoor unit seems decent ($135) on Amazon.
Yes, I have that one installed at our office next to our TWC. Works great! Model S has full reception.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
I am wondering if my MS is really connected to the internet. I've got a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000) router connected to my Arris SB8200 cable modem. Average download/upload speeds of around 110Mbs/13Mbs. My MS lives in a carport relatively far from the router and while the car can connect to the network, it only gets one bar of strength. I installed a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (EX7000) range extender and my car now gets a very strong signal. When I use the (somewhat cumbersome) Netgear software or scan the network with LanScan, I can see the car on the network. However, when I ping the car, it does not respond (this may be normal – don’t know). Webpages load on the car’s browser (albeit slowly as I just missed getting the new version of the MCU) but I’m suspicious that it may be pulling data via the LTE connection.

Is there a way to confirm that my car is indeed actively connected to the internet? I am no network guru so please use small words.

I cannot even connect to WiFi in my garage unfortunately. I was able to get the prior download by using my iPad as a hotspot but now whenever I try that, in the morning when I get up and check things, the hotspot WiFi has been dropped. Not sure when it drops off but I am fit to be tied. I have tried extenders and my car just cannot/will not connect so the hotspot does work but not long enough (now) to get an update. PLUS, not only does my car have a hard time connecting to WiFi it also NEVER has a good LTE signal wherever I am. Bottom line, the antennas in my car don't seem to even work...if they DO work, they don't work very well. Frustrating.
Consider a Mesh network -- they are wonderful. Google home, Eero, Orbi all are good. Google lets you track how much your tesla is using. One thing I had to do to get my car to connect regularly (I have Eero) is set up a guest network -- the Star Ship will stay connected to that.

Consider a Mesh network -- they are wonderful. Google home, Eero, Orbi all are good. Google lets you track how much your tesla is using. One thing I had to do to get my car to connect regularly (I have Eero) is set up a guest network -- the Star Ship will stay connected to that.
Thank you for your advice. Since my husband relies on ME to do all things regarding internet, computers etc ( I am the techie in our family, even though I don't know nearly as much as everyone on this forum, far from it...) and I have heard about the Orbi before. I don't know what Google Home is exactly, in regard to getting a signal to my garage and Eero, I have heard of before too, but I am completely lost at this point. I don't know how to set up a guest network either <sigh> I appreciate the advice, tho! I may look into the Orbi and the Eero to see if they explain what they do and how to set it up. Surely I can do that! Thank you!

Its super easy. I can only speak for Eero because i set it up and it is truly idiot proof (no offense). The guest network took about 12 seconds to enable and give it a name. I will be happy to help you if you message me. I think if I were going to do it again I'd do Google only because it will let you see what each device is using bandwith-wise (which Eero still doesn't) because then you can watch and see when the Black Magic is downloading large amounts of data

Its super easy. I can only speak for Eero because i set it up and it is truly idiot proof (no offense). The guest network took about 12 seconds to enable and give it a name. I will be happy to help you if you message me. I think if I were going to do it again I'd do Google only because it will let you see what each device is using bandwith-wise (which Eero still doesn't) because then you can watch and see when the Black Magic is downloading large amounts of data

Thank you! I do have something I'd like to run by you. We have Comcast/Xfinity here and not very long from now, they are coming out with their XFI Pods and an XFI gateway that even by itself will have much better coverage than the current gateway everyone has AND the package of three pods, you plug into outlets to extend the network, like the kind you can purchase that use the wiring in your home to extend. So far, in the test markets, the XFI PODS are working well but you HAVE to use their new XFI gateway and you cannot purchase it, you can only rent it for $11.99 a month. The PODS you do purchase so my bill wouldn't go up too much but I am tired of waiting for it. I did look online to see what it does (the new XFI system) and it does what you're saying that the Google Home does. It shows what devices are connected etc. I just don't know if I want to wait on it so I may have to look at the three, Orbi, Eero and Google Home but I may be calling on you for advice if I decide I don't want to wait for the XFI system to be rolled out here. It's supposedly very easy to install and I am sure I could do it but I want WiFi to my car now!
So, if you had the choice now, would you choose the Google Home?
THANK YOU. I will message you in the next few days when I make my decision on what to try next. :)

Thank you for your advice. Since my husband relies on ME to do all things regarding internet, computers etc ( I am the techie in our family, even though I don't know nearly as much as everyone on this forum, far from it...) and I have heard about the Orbi before. I don't know what Google Home is exactly, in regard to getting a signal to my garage and Eero, I have heard of before too, but I am completely lost at this point. I don't know how to set up a guest network either <sigh> I appreciate the advice, tho! I may look into the Orbi and the Eero to see if they explain what they do and how to set it up. Surely I can do that! Thank you!
CNET has some good reviews. Also easy to find. Google Home is really Google WiFi. My extended family are mostly using Google WiFi 3 modules for about $269. Can also add more if really big area. Easy to steep on your phone.

CNET has some good reviews. Also easy to find. Google Home is really Google WiFi. My extended family are mostly using Google WiFi 3 modules for about $269. Can also add more if really big area. Easy to steep on your phone.
Thank you!! I have been at my wits end with this WiFi coverage issue since I got my car. Sounds like I have a lot of research to do! I am so pessimistic that I'll ever get anything to work, at this point. I know there has to be a solution. My issue is caused by where the router/modem is and where my garage is. The house is a one story but with a basement (a little less than 8000 sq ft. area, of course not counting garage) so that is the problem. I am just glad there are so many technical advances lately, I am probably going to find a solution that will work for me but it's been pretty frustrating. So, thank you for your advice. I will definitely check the Google WiFi out!

I also have Eero, what about the guest network works better than the normal network for the car? I have the guest network enabled as well, but my cars are hooked to the normal network. Wondering if I should change it.

I also have Eero, what about the guest network works better than the normal network for the car? I have the guest network enabled as well, but my cars are hooked to the normal network. Wondering if I should change it.

There's been a few reports that random mundane things on your home network like DLNA media devices somehow cause Teslas to disconnect from the network. In that case, a guest network might have better isolation properties.

There's no LAN peer-to-peer communications use case for your Tesla. Even on the same network, your app goes to the cloud and the cloud talks to your car.

For CBPfromTN,

I have ordered a 3 pack of the XFi pods from Comcast/Xfinity they are due to arrive tomorrow... 4/20/2018

I currently have the Comcast/Xfinity Cisco DPC3941 cable modem router.
The XFi pods are supposed to be compatible with that modem and 2 others supplied by Comcast/Xfinity.

The "need" for the new XFi modem is only for extremely fast networks... Gigabit?
We certainly do not need that speed for updating our cars.

They also have an Xfi app for your iPhone which makes management of the network fairly straightforward.
I have used it. It makes the network management fairly easy.

I will let everyone know how I like it and how well it works in a few days.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I received 2018.14.2 last night. It installed in roughly 36 minutes.
My car is Model X 3/18 build and it has AP 2.5
I have not driven extensively with the new software.
It does seem a little different in that it does not seem to bounce back and forth
from the center to the outside of the lane as frequently as the earlier release... 2018.10.6

Shawn

• Informative
Reactions: CBPfromTN